Nominations for Darksteel Casual Card!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Post 'em and the reasons here! Nominations end next Monday, 5/28 at 7:00 AM EDT (although I won't be able to close the thread until Tuesday 'cause Monday's the holiday).

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I nominate Darksteel Colossus, it costs a ton, it keeps coming back and it's an 11/11. What else could a casual player wish for?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't like very many cards from this set. Mostly I just remember crappy cards and some good but unexciting cards. Also there were simply broken cards like Arcbound Ravager and obviously they're right out. One of my friends kept trying to make Death Cloud competitive (he took a Death Cloud deck to some Mirrodin Block Constructed tourmanents but usually got walked all over by red decks). It was a cool card because it was more versatile than Pox. But I've always thought of it as being a bit underpowered.

There is a card I only met once that made a huge impression on me. Casual decks that can gain a lot of life always need some sort of kill condition. There are some big ones like Serra Avatar, Test of Endurance, and Celestial Convergence. But these cards are white. Also, you have to have a lot of life. Just gaining life over time (even if you lose it) isn't enough. And so a green creature that gets bigger and stays bigger simply because you gained life does a good job of filling this niche. So I nominate Ageless Entity.

Killer Joe

Card type: Instant
Casting cost: 2U
Card text: Counter target spell.
That spell's controller may draw a card.

Oracle text: Counter target spell. That spell's controller may draw a card.

Flavor text: "The druids would be better off if they spent more time in the lab and less time watching trees grow." -Pontifex, elder researcher

This card, for me, is excellent in most of my Three-color decks that have blue in them. Its all about the 1 single blue mana in its casting cost, oh sure there's a drawback but most of the time it doesn't hurt me that bad since I usually save a countermagic spell for only real powerful cards which aren't really plentiful in most decks I play against, in my opinion.... ;)

B

BigBlue

That's probably the most "Casual" counterspell there is... :)

I always liked Arcane Denial for similar reasons, plus it gave me back a card, even if it did give them 2... and it was 1 less...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm nominating Bronze Bombshell. C'mon, besides the name, it's a way to use Donate without feeling all icky from its past association with Illusions of Grandeur. Or any way to exchange permanents with your opponent.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
OOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Spidey got Pwned!!!!!!!

Since I'm not too familiar with this set, I'm gonna nominate Sword of Fire and Ice.

Why? Because it was a near-to-last pick in the ultimate draft for me and it pretty much won me my first match. :D

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Aw man. I brought up the wrong "D" expansion :(

In that case, I'll nominated Eater of Days. He's a big flying fattie that appeals to most casual gamers but you have to set up your defenses right to not lose during the next two turns (or get into a losing position :) )

Final Nominations:

Darksteel Colossus - Mooseman
Ageless Entity - Oversoul
Vex - Killer Joe
Sword of Fire and Ice - Ransac
Eater of Days - Spiderman

Closed for voting.

D

DarthFerret

Well, we have been discussing it all weeked, not sure we have reached any conclusions yet....but we are working on it...

L

Limited

Yeah, this turning out to be a tough one.

For one thing, I sometimes disagree with my own #1 pick!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah. What would the world be like if Limited always agreed with himself? We'd probably be talking about the war against Eurasia and how Magic: the Gathering is double-plus good...

B

BigBlue

I sent the results to Spiderman. This was one of the more difficult decisions.