Nominations for CHK Casual Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Post 'em and the reasons here! Nominations end Monday, 6/25 at 7:00 AM EDT.

Committee members: BigBlue, DarthFerret, TomB

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Wow. This set really sucks. No wonder I don't know anything about it. Must have been the backlash from the last block being so overpowered...

Well, most of this set is complete crap in every way. There are some cards I really like. Most of them are cheesy, rare, legendary creatures with some rocking ability. I'm tired of those. The only card from this set that I can actually recall playing with, and one of the only commons from this set I like, is pure goodness. I nominate Sakura-Tribe Elder.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
The Unspeakable. I love cards like this, kinda like Spirit of the Night and Scion of Darkness. On it's own, it's an awesome creature. But, it can be fished out with the combined forces of three other cards. I love intentional synergy.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Nominations so far:

Sakura-Tribe Elder - Oversoul
Kokushko, the Evening Star - Killer Joe
Marrow-Gnawer - Limited
Reverse the Sands - Mooseman
The Unspeakable - Ransac

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Someone should nominate Night Dealings, it is worthy of a nod.
I mean if someone, doesn't know what to nominate......
Can I politik for 2 cards? Am I already?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of good cards and cycles from this set. The Dragon Spirits, Hondens, Myojins, Legendary Creatures that flip... but I'm gonna nominate Isamaru, Hound of Konda. Before it was Savannah Lions, 1 White for a 2/1. Now it's 1 White for a 2/2.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
Lots of good cards and cycles from this set. The Dragon Spirits, Hondens, Myojins, Legendary Creatures that flip... but I'm gonna nominate Isamaru, Hound of Konda. Before it was Savannah Lions, 1 White for a 2/1. Now it's 1 White for a 2/2.
I disagree about there being a lot of good cards from this set. Isamaru is very good and an excellent nomination. The dragon spirits are also nice. But the flip cards are generally annoying to set up. I've never played against the hondens, but they don't seem powerful enough. The myojins are too expensive to bother with. It just seems like this whole set is full of inefficient cards that take too long to become useful or outlive their usefulness quickly. As much as I like the idea of a big, indestructable creature that doubles as a powerful spell, by the time I get 10 mana or whatever, I can do other things with better cards from other sets--specifically, things that win the game outright.

Kind of reminds me of Prophecy.

L

Limited

It might not have contained a lot of tournament grade cards, but Kamigawa block is still one of my favorite blocks. A lot of fun, casual multiplayer cards.

L

Limited

Well, I have had decks with about every Myjojin and found that the Hondens are pretty good (again, in casual multiplayer). And I loved that they pushed a couple of tribes (Ogres, Demons, Rats, Spirits) and really added a lot of love for Legendary cards.

I mostly liked the flavor of the entire set (and block).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
See, that kinda shows the difference between attitudes right there about what may constitute a "casual card". While Oversoul is looking for "efficient" stuff or cards that can "win the game outright", Limited describes the set as "fun and casual".

Most "casual" players I know (who fit my definition) would also look at the various types of cards in this set - Dragon Spirits, Hondens, various Legendary creatures - and try to build decks around them in some way. They're not necessarily looking for the most efficient cards - effect per mana, I'm assuming - but rather cards that have effects that haven't been done before, such as the Hondens or flip cards.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
While Oversoul is looking for "efficient" stuff or cards that can "win the game outright"
It's not that I'm looking for cards that win the game outright or cards that win the game by themselves. There are plenty of them. It's that I don't care much for cards that cost ten mana when I can play something that costs five or six and win the game with it. I'm not necessarily talking about Mind over Matter or Memory Jar or other combo cards that might spring to mind (although I'm probably more likely to use those). It could be Upheaval or Serra Angel. Faster and more versatile than and myojin, but potentially just as impacting on a game.

Then again, I love Plague Wind and Denying Wind, but multiplayer is different. I don't even remember the last time I played a multiplayer game outside of our games run forum though, so maybe I just don't focus on it as much...

Melkor

I agree that certain inefficiencies bug the hell out of me. When you put certain abilities on big creatures, for instance. I don't need a 5/5 blue creature that lets me look at the top 3 cards and put them back in any order for UU5. Also huge creatures with mediocre tap abilities. I want to attack with my 7/7, not tap it to put out a 1/1 creature. As for other cards, I enjoy making a card work, but sometimes WotC makes it harder than it should be and I just move on to other cards, or stay with the decks I currently have.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
See, that's why I think that the Hall of Fame card should be one that offers something that hasn't been seen before. Unfortunately, either the set or the nominations don't always reflect that, so the committee has to do with what they got.

Anyway, nominations are closed.

Final nominations:

Sakura-Tribe Elder - Oversoul
Kokushko, the Evening Star - Killer Joe
Marrow-Gnawer - Limited
Reverse the Sands - Mooseman
The Unspeakable - Ransac
Ismaru, Hound of Konda - Spiderman

Closed for voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.