New TCG information

E

EricBess

Obviously, this is a Magic web site, but I think pretty much everyone here knows that when I am not playing Magic, I am working at that "other card shop", Upper Deck.

Anyway, Jeff Donais just did a very good interview that I thought other people around here might be interested in, so I'm providing the like here

R

Reverend Love

Wildly off topic but is Yu-G...O. dying off or is it still running strong? History kinda shows that Magic holds the #1 spot with various TCG's rotating into second place. Vampire, Star Wars, Legend of the Five Rings, Pokimon, Yu-Gwhatever..

N

Nightstalkers

Mainly YGO! players are children.... and they kinda outnumber M:TG players a little just because of the adertisement of the product... TV shows do it all the time *grumble* *grumble* *insert asinine comment here*

Nightstalker Habuki

T

train

Eric - I click the link and get to a site, but the main body of the page stays a blank black...:rolleyes: :confused:

O

orgg

That new 'Arc System' sounds cool...

Mabe they'll license Ultimate Muscle to use with it and give that property a HUGELY deserved good CCG that doesn't need Re-Translation

Any more you can tell about it, EricBess?

C

Chaos Turtle

Is the new "Arc System" anything like WotC's old ArcSystem of rules? It was sort of like D20 for CCG's -- one system, many games.

E

EricBess

Where do you see "Arc" system? Or are you just using that term because WotC had an Arc system previously?

Really, the idea is that the game is "all superheros", so while it would be cool to call it simply "Marvel", doing so would prevent creating a compatible "DC" game. So, the game is "Vs. System" and the "Marvel" game and the "DC" game will both use the "Vs. System" engine.

So it's sort of like what WotC did with the Arc system, but not really. WotC built several games that were meant as stand-alone, but could be played together. We are designing everything as a single game, but that can be played as stand-alone.

The game is actually pretty fun. I'll let everyone form their own opinion once it comes out (sometime next month).

As far as Yu-Gi-Oh dying, there are reasons it would appear so, but the truth of the matter is that we get FAR more players at a Yu-Gi-Oh qualifier than at any Magic qualifier still. There are certain reasons why it appears as if Yu-Gi-Oh is dying. Things which can cause problems if not corrected, but we are obviously working with Konami to avoid that from happening. If there are any Yu-Gi-Oh fans out there, expect to see some reasonably exciting stuff in the near future.

O

orgg

I said 'Arc System' since the Arc games were indeed compatable, but couldn't be intermixed.

From what you're saying, the Vs game system would have sets of Marvel, DC, (for argument's sake) Ultimate Muscle, Ninja Turtles, et cetera licensed for use, but I could have Michelangelo fighting beside ADDVERSARIUS and Plastic Man? Assuming I can have more than one hero, granted, unlike the Simpsons CRG(Collectable Ripoff Game).

Sounds pretty cool.

...try to get 'em to license Ultimate Muscle for a set? :D

M

mythosx

I dont know why you need to have intworking systems for many games. A game should be diverse enough to give something to everyone in the game. One thing that they mentioned at the wizards site in an article by Mark Rosewater this week, was the fact that that Richard Garfield created a great system. One that I would like to point out hasnt had any serious contenders yet.

Secondly, I dunno about mixing different liscences together... Its kinda of weird to me and not fun. I dont want hamburgers with my pizza. I want pizza with my pizza. dont mix that up.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
True, I mean, you could have hamburger as one of the toppings on the pizza anyway :p

I like Papa John's Chicken Strip deal with a pizza though :)

R

rkoelsch

I am looking forward to see how Marvel does. I liked Overpower still have a bunch of those cards.

T

train

Sounds interesting enough...

I guess you all are dealing with the conversion stats when going from system to system...:)

O

orgg

I just heard that Mattel is looking to license out the Masters of the Universe characters for other companies' products.

Just FYI, EricBess.

R

Reverend Love

Eric

I can honestly say I've haven't even given YG a try. I'm too entrenched in magic. However I did read an article that said the entire power level of Yugio is insane. They keep on jacking up the power level...isn't that kinda shooting themselves in the foot?

Also how are you guys going to keep YuGio from going the way of the Pokemon? My reference to 2nd place is usually Magic is "overcome" by a newer and greater CCG...then a year or two it just dies off. Granted I don't swim in the Yugio circles but it appears to be riding off in the sunset.

Another question I have is how are you going to transition Yugio from a kid's game to being acceptable for adults? I agree 100% with your statement that Yugio pulls in more attendees. But at the Yugio tournaments I've seen here in Japan they're ALL young children. The magic tournaments are usually attended by high school boys and men. It might be different in the states though. It's great to see these kids playing a game they enjoy though..lots of them didn't even use sleeves :D !

However I'm going to take a wild guess and say I spend as much on magic as five of these kids...they buy packs..I buy cases. Wouldn't attracting adults be important to Yu-Gi-Yo <--is that right?

M

mythosx

I dont understand Yu gi o...From what I can tell, there is a very very simplistic resource management system in it. And the only thing stopping everyone from playing with the same strongest cards in the game is the cost? I dunno can some one explain it to me?

T

train

Will all of you vote for me to be on the UDE Marvel pro tour?!!!...

It's all about the Admantium...

EB - have you played the game? - what is it like?...

E

EricBess

Yeah, I would vote for you train. Of course, I don't think I'm eligible to vote...

It's an enjoyable game.

N

Notepad

Thanks for the link, Eric. I've tried ygo and hated it. It is a totally horrible and unbalanced pile of crap that can barely be called a CCG. And that is just looking at it from a purely gameplay standpoint, as I have never watched the show and have no desire to learn anything about the storyline behind the game.

I hope this Marvel game turns out good. It would be fun to play a superhero CCG again after the sad loss of Overpower. Though, Overpower was pretty crappy, too.