New Never-Heard Of Magic Rules

N

NeuroDeus

'Dude' rules that were invented by new players entering Magic :-

Overkill - Somebody said it was taken up from Warhammer. Its a sort of ability of a creature to block more than one creature and kill them all. The player has to remove all cards from his hand to do it. Crap, they tryed to win me a casual game with this rule.

Dark Ritual : The Enchantment - A guy played the game with Dark Ritual as an enchantment to take 3 mana each turn. And his opponent let him.

Damage Counters : Hehe, a Pokemon Player changed game to Magic. His first game of magic he took up his damage counters and after the combat stage marked his creatures with them. He wasn't very happy when they said it wasn't like that and damage was removed.

Turn : Most player misinterprate a turn as the time from his current turn to the other.

Counterspell : Instead of going to the graveyard the spells cast is taken up by the other opponent. He countered my Castle and asked me to give it to him.

Belbe's Portal : Fast Creature Removal. If you read the flavor text it says "The battle will continue in other place" or something like that. My friend read that the selected creatures, changeable every turn can be removed from the game paying the ability cost.

Ebon Stronghold : My opponent tapped his Ebon Stronghold took up his library and searched for a swamp. He misunderstood that skull (black mana symbol :) means "get up a swamp and put in library.

More when I remeber or see... more of these laughable episodes...

D

Dark Horse

I have three to add

Someone played with a 40 card library and thought that when all his cards ran out he took his graveyard and shuffled it back in.

Somebody thought that when you dislike a card you can discard it back to your library and draw a card for free.

Uhh I lied I just have two.

T

theorgg

Originally posted by NeuroDeus
Damage Counters : Hehe, a Pokemon Player changed game to Magic. His first game of magic he took up his damage counters and after the combat stage marked his creatures with them. He wasn't very happy when they said it wasn't like that and damage was removed.
Actually, there is a very old veriant of Magic where this happens.

It's called Eliminator or Terminator, and usually is pretty "gory" due to the creatures biting the dust reeealy fast...

It's definatly a different kind of game...

Just imagine... Wall of fog one of the best creatures in your deck due to it's perminant nature... Kill a blastoderm more eisily... Loose to an invoible creature... Nuke everything with inferno, even your HUGE fatties...

I ahvn't played like that in four years...
aah, the memories...

As for other veriants, there's one called "blitzkreg" that allows you to play all lands you draw and then draw a card to replace it...
you also drew seven cards every time you were suppose to draw, while you creatures attacked with haste...
definatly broken, now...
but what a blast it was in those days...

H

Hawaiian mage

Blitz Kreg? Wow, things get messed up over long distance.

It's actually plane Blitz. I know the guy that invented it about 4 years ago.

Actually, it may be a different game all together. Becuase you don't draw cards for lands you play. That's mana-drop(at least up here)(also, we don't play like that becuase of the "53xSwamp 4xCorrupt 3xDrain Life" deck.) Blitz is just like that except you can discard any number of cards and each player draws to 8 cards secend turn.

Of course the "48xSwamp 4xCorrupt 4xDrain Life 4xYawgmoth's Bargain" deck made everyone stop playing Blitz and start playing tournement more.

Back to the original topic.

These are my own.

Banding made 2 creatures 1 creature compleatly with all the same abilitys and combined power/toughness.

Phaseing let you remove a creature at any time and return it at any time, it also made it unblockable.

Side board is a seperate deck you can draw from if you want.

You can use Regeneration at any time.

You cant use Counterspell on a creature with protection from blue.

If someone plays a Defense Grid and someone else counters it, the person that counters it has to still pay an extra 3.

Unaffected by sommoning sickness made it so it couldn't be targeted by Sick and Tired(first day playing.)

All the Different CoPs did different things becuase of different wordings.

M

Mundungu

indirectly related :

not understanding why the controller of a permanent cannot scrifice or tap it at will.... (me :) )

T

The Magic Jackal

When my friends and I started playing magic we didn't quite know how to use the sideboard. For some reason it was decided that you could exchange any card in your hand for any card in your graveyard at any time. This resulted in some broken combos, especially with the ever annoying lure/venom combo which wiped the board clear of creatures.

T

TheGuyFromTheOtherPost

Here's some of 'my' rules for 'fun' games:

Blue Player: May discard 3 blue cards to counter any spell. Any Blue player may use this ability whenever he or she wishes. Play as an Instant.

Black Player: May discard 3 black cards to destroy target non-black creature. Any Black player may use this ability whenever he or she wishes. Play as an Instant.

Green Player: May discard 3 green cards to give target creature +3/+3 and Trample until end of the turn. Any Green player may use this ability whenever he or she wishes. Play as an Instant.

Red Player: May discard 3 red cards to deal 2 damage to target. Any Red player may use this ability whenver he or she wishes. Play as a Sorcery.

White Player: May discard 2 white cards to make taget creautre a 1/1 creature without abilities until end of the turn. Any player may use this ability whenver he or she wishes. Play as a Sorcery.

It's really fun giving each mage this abilities. It allows the game to be more dramatic.

I'm the Guy from the other post.

M

Multani

Mana Drop.
Play all mana each turn. Draw back to 7 each turn.
Sooooo incredibly cheap. :mad:

Discard at any time.
Sac at any time.

That's all as far as weird rules go.
I'm a very by-the-book person. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mundungu:
not understanding why the controller of a permanent cannot scrifice or tap it at will....
Probably the same reason why you can't cast a spell without a legal target - you need to have a reason for doing the ability (although tapping an already tapped permanent is pretty hokey, if you ask me, the way the rules are set up now).

K

K1

New Rules?

Ran into a player who thought cards in graveyard retained their abilities. So the viashano stuff all became squees! Woo!

K1

N

Neo_Keo

played a player who tried to regenerate creatures out of his graveyard and another player who tried to play rewind without tapping his lands ( he said that he gets to play it for free because he gets to untape 4 lands)

T

Thrash Golem

and there's that rule that you get to discard any time you want to, especially when you're discarding an avatar of woe and somehow you have an animate dead in your hand.

Also, if you don't pay the upkeep of Lord of the Pit, you can just bury it

And there's the one that when you kill creatures they go to your graveyard, while discardng cards go to your discard pile, not your graveyard

N

Neo_Keo

I saw a player who said that when something says get a FOREST card and put it into play he could go and get something with a forest symbol on it. Well he went and got that one elder dragon legend and put it into play.

After several attempts by my friends and to explain he wuld not listen so we said forget it.

E

Erbrich

Oh, geez. When my friends and I first started playing, only one of our friends had a rulebook. He decided he would teach us how to play. After about two months, I finally bought a starter deck and read the rulebook myself. After "enlightening" everyone on how to play correctly, he was severly reprimanded.

Some of his "interpretations" were:
If you have over 7 cards inyour hand at the end of the turn, you discard 1 card.

If you forget to untap somthing in your untap phase, it dies.

If a trampler blocks, the trample damage goes through to attacking opponent.

If you go first, you still get to draw.

This nest one isn't one he told us, but one I've seen new players do:
You can play a counterspell as an enchantment. If opponent plays a spell you want to counter, you "activate" the ability. You can then pay its casting cost to keep the "enchantment" in play.

Erb

Z

Zadok001

Betcha didn't know Atog's pump ability is permanent!

Or that Kird Ape gets +1/+2 for EACH forest you control!

Or that you play Walls on creatures, giving them P/T bonuses equal to the Wall's P/T, and giving them the abilties of the Wall!

Those were the rules I originally played by... :)

Btw, Neo, that sounds like something I wouldn't bother to correct! :) Elder Dragons have an upkeep...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Erbrich: It depends when you guys started first playing. 'Cause Revised rules (at least) and earlier, the player who went first DID get to draw.

P

Plaguelord

I've met players who have more confusion with cards such as saproling burst...some players think that you don't have to remove a fade counter from it and apparently (according to my step brother) blastoderms can't be countered...

A

Almindhra

I was playing in a local, small tournament...And I was getting all giddy when I thought I could Excise my opp.'s creature...Well, I tried to on my turn...About 4 or 5 times in the match...I know! I know!...I just have a really bad memory...