New mechanics for Magic

T

train

I know that R&D at Wizards has their sets for the next year or so, but they have kept open a door for people to send in their own ideas for future sets.

Why don't we try to come up with something like new mechanics for these sets?...

My idea is something the opposite of fading and almost like threshold. I call it Succession.

Succession:
- you place counters on permanents to give them abilities when they reach a certain number of counters activating the succession ability. This is separate form threshold because it does not involve your graveyard. These could be on all types of permanents - enchantments get stronger, artifacts do more, creatures "grow" in some way. Then there could be the Anti-Succession cards - removing counters, destroying types of permanents with succession or the like...

What do you think?

C

Chaos Turtle

Actually, unless you're thinking of mechanics for a possible future "You Make the Card" promotion, WotC specifically does not accept submissions for card or mechanic ideas. R&R employees are forbidden from even reviewing such material, lest it "taint" them and expose them to possible lawsuits for "stealing" ideas.

Also, I'm moving this thread.

F

FoundationOfRancor

It's not a bad idea, but I cant see it as a named mechanic. In fact, something of what your talking about has already been done. A cycle of enchantments from Saga (Like Rumbiling Cresendo) got more counters on them each turn, then could blow up to do some effect. And Smokestack. I expect your idea would be on a much, much grander scheme.

This idea is interesting, it inspired a few cards.

G
Instant
Remove two counters from target permanent.

Not a disk...well ok its a disk
Artifact
During your upkeep, put a counter on ~this~.
1, Destroy all enchantments, artifacts, and creatures. You may use this ability only if ~this~ has 5 counters on it and only if you control a creature.

Lord
1GG
Creature - Lord
During your upkeep, put a counter on Lord.
During your opponents upkeep, they may search through your library for a number of elf cards equal to the amount of counters on Lord, and put them in your graveyard.
All elves get +1/+1 for each coutner on Lord.
2/3

Blah
3B
Creature - Vampire
Flying
~this~ has power and toughness equal to the amount of counters on all permanents in play.
*/*

I remember a card I made a while back, but not its name...

Junkie Vampire
1BB
Flying
At the beggining for your pre-combat main step, remove a counter from a permanent you control or sacrifice Junkie Vampire.
2/3

Sorry...I went card making crazy.

E

EricBess

CT, I can understand why you might want to move this thread, but is the link in rules supposed to still be there?

J

Jigglypuff

I'm not CT, but I can answer the question. Threads that are moved retain a link in the forum they were originally posted in and they have the "Moved: "prefix ahead of the subject line. That way, if someone were to click into a forum to see a thread, they would know that it had been moved. Otherwise, they might think that it had been deleted by the mods.

(- Steve -)

T

train

MaRo stated in an article about someone wanting to submit ideas to WOTC R&D that for them to look at the concept a legal writ basically relinquishing all rights to the idea had to accompany any such idea.

He wrote this article while responding to his "mailbag". An excerpt from the 6/17 article is below:

Hello,

I've tried creating cards myself, and have had fun in doing so. May I show you one of my creations?

Elliot Kramer

(from MaRo)
Elliot,

I really would like for the answer to this to be yes, but unfortunately it isn’t. The reason, I hate to say, is legal. To avoid lawsuits, we are instructed to only look at submissions that have the proper paperwork (meaning people put in writing that they promise not to sue us.) In Magic design it is far too easy to have multiple people create cards in a similar vein. The good news is that we are trying to give aspiring designers opportunities to do design that I can see. A good example of this would be “You Make the Card”. I personally looked at every single design submitted for that card. So, keep plugging away and keep your eye out for other opportunities.

That's where I came up with this idea...

C

Chaos Turtle

I kinda figured; that's where I came up with my rebuttal, too. ;)

F

FoundationOfRancor

Well, obviously they wont officially say it, but I'm sure they do it.

N

Notepad

Here's two ideas I came up with:

"Riskless" (not a named mechanic). Lets you play permanents for free, but then you must pay for the card. This would allow to not get ripped off when a spell is countered. Also keeps you safe from things that steal from the gaveyard, like Animate Dead or Chainer. An example of this card would be:

Dumb Green Guy
{0}
Creature -- Elf
When Dumb Green Guy comes into play, sacrifice it unless you pay {1}{G}.
2/2

"Dementia" Reading the novel for Torment brought up the idea that dementia summons in the set didn't reflect the story. Chainer's nightmare dementia summons didn't have effects, they just existed so long as he could hold his mental dementia state. Thus, this mechanic would reflect strong dementia summons that get messed up if you happen to get smacked around. An example:

Chainer's Puppy
{B}
Creature -- Puppy
Dementia (If you take damage, return one permanent with Dementia you control to its owner's hand.)
2/1

Though I don't know how to word it so that the effect doesn't stack. Basically, as worded, each Dementia permanent would force one return, so you'd return them all. I wanted it worded so you only return one such permanent with any damage, not them all. Maybe a clause like "this effect does not stack with other dementia permanents" or something.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Hey, these are cool!

Riskless
It seems like it would be less messy to say this:

Dumb Green Guy
1G
Creature -- Elf
If Dumb Green Guy is countered, you may add two mana of any color to your mana pool.
2/2

This way, you would not get totally screwed by a counter, but you might even get an advantage.

Dementia
Hmm...you could word it like this so the effect doesent stack:

Guy
1B
Whenever Guy is dealt damage, return it to your hand
2/1

But, it wouldnt be as cool as dementia. I'm right in assuming if you have two dementia permanents in play, you would get to choose which one goes back to your hand?

Guy Beta
1B
Dementia
At the end of combat in which Guy was dealt damage, return a permanent you control with dementia to your hand.
2/1

*shrugs* I hope that helps with the wording...at the very least, this Dementia thing could be converted into a Pure/Impure thing Thallid was thinking about in Homemade Cards...

Spiderman, your right. Duke did make alot of cool mechanics. Man, he would make threads just to show off new mechanics! He must've had 4 or 5 for each thread!

T

train

These are great ideas - we just need to develop them and make sure they don't break anything beyond repair... so match them up with rules and other cards and let's see what we get...