New Green Mechanic to make it not suck so bad.

B

BigBlue

If ~this~ is countered, remove it from the game and draw 2 cards.

or

If ~this~ is countered, you may search your library for a copy of ~this~, reveal it, and put it in your hand. Then Shuffle your Library.

Those would be cool.

What am I saying, I like Blue. :)

L

Lotus Mox

aren't these just weaker variants of ~this~ can't be countered, which is already a green mechanic.

B

BigBlue

I don't see them as weaker, can't be countered stuff blows in my view, but getting to draw 2 cards, or eliminating a counter and getting another copy of it would be good to the green mage.

perhaps another would be,

If ~this~ is countered, add ~mana~ to your mana pool where ~mana~ is the cost of ~this~.

L

Lotus Mox

Originally posted by BigBlue
I don't see them as weaker, can't be countered stuff blows in my view, but getting to draw 2 cards, or eliminating a counter and getting another copy of it would be good to the green mage.

perhaps another would be,

If ~this~ is countered, add ~mana~ to your mana pool where ~mana~ is the cost of ~this~.
They are quite obviously strictly weaker, like Blazing Salvo is strictly weaker than Lightning Bolt for example (you give them options), that doesn't mean they are bad though.

B

BigBlue

I guess I'm looking at it from a card advantage standpoint.

Can't be countered stuff is generally weak (unless it has pro Blue as well), so big whoop that it can't be countered, where with my mechanics the green player gains card advantage, and eliminates a counter from the opponent.

U guy with CS can't be countered, still controls subsequent actions with that CS he's forced to hold, while the other mechanics eliminate that counterspell and replenish the green players hand.

Here's another "weaker" mechanic I'd prefer on a creature:

If ~this~ is countered, put it into play with a -X/-X counter. Still get's in play, and eliminates a counter.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
For some odd reason, I seem to remember WOTC saying that with very few exceptions, they were trying to get away from using -X/-X counters. That's why the Phantoms are worded the way they are... <shrug>

Nothing against what you're trying to say, just an odd bit of memory :)

L

Lotus Mox

Originally posted by BigBlue
I guess I'm looking at it from a card advantage standpoint.

Can't be countered stuff is generally weak (unless it has pro Blue as well), so big whoop that it can't be countered, where with my mechanics the green player gains card advantage, and eliminates a counter from the opponent.

U guy with CS can't be countered, still controls subsequent actions with that CS he's forced to hold, while the other mechanics eliminate that counterspell and replenish the green players hand.

Here's another "weaker" mechanic I'd prefer on a creature:

If ~this~ is countered, put it into play with a -X/-X counter. Still get's in play, and eliminates a counter.
I know what you mean, drawing 2 cards can be better than getting a Blurred Mongoose into play, but if it is better why does your opponent even counter it in the first place?
Point is, your examples could be treated as they couldn't be countered, except when your opponent really needs to counter it and can live with the drawback. Of course a bad player might make the wrong choice, but you can't count on that, esp. since bad players tend to not play counterspells.

The advantage of your ideas would be that these creatures could have a cheaper casting cost because they are weaker. (e.g. Breaking Point costs 3 mana, WoG 4 mana)

Although I don't think the previous three uncounterable creatures costed much more than they would without the uncounterability, so I don't see much room for making them more cost effective.

B

BigBlue

Well, of course that is true. The spell would need to be worth countering to even make use of the effect. Of course "Insisting" on Blastoderm isn't bad either as long as you don't mind losing cards to the Blue Player who likely has card advantage already.

L

Lotus Mox

Bottom line: I think being uncounterable is already narrow enough so that you don't have to water it down.

BTW I think green has already enough mechanics to make it not suck so bad, it's just that most of these mechanics aren't explored well enough with playable cards.

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Remember Plow Under? Well, I might have a mechanic that works along that line, only better. Cards that have a card's owner (not controller) shuffle it from play into his/her library. That would work as another green mechanic.

S

StasisMonger

:mad: As a permission mage I don't appreciate your mechanic! I see that green is doing fine with its Llanowar Elves, Birds of Paradise and Pouncing Jags. Judgement is quite taylored to green and some of the beatdown is sick. :D And if there is one card in the entire world that :mad: :( irks:( :mad: me, its a Krosan Restorer w/threshold! Green's just fine!

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

It's original, it's green, and it's balancing. BTW, I'm aware of green kicking butt, but it's the only color that lacks a regular removal method.