New Game: RPG

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ookaaay... no one replied to my question in my other thread about this, so I made an executive decision.

If you're interested in making a first level character, you get 75 points to put into STR, INT, WIS, DEX, CON, and CHR. Give me your name and class, primary weapon (nothing weird or exotic) allowable for your class, backup weapon, type of armor and if you want a shield, and a ranged weapon allowable for your class (if you don't know, pick one and I'll tell you). Doesn't matter if it in this thread or a PM. I'll fill out the rest and PM it to you.

If we don't get at least four players by the end of the week, then I'll just scrap it.

D

Daggertooth

Could you explain a little about those stats? I'm not sure what con does. Also, I don't know the effect of leveling each one up.

Sorry, I've just never played a RPG like this before.

Daggertooth

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
STRength = determines how much damage you can do in melee (mainly). Also used for determining how much you can carry (not really important).

INTelligence: How many additional spells a wizard knows.

WISdom: how many additional spells a cleric knows.

DEXterity: bonus to armor class (how well monsters can hit you) and bonus using ranged weapons, and determines initiative (who acts first in an encounter)

CONsitution: bonus to HP (how much damage you can take)

CHR(charisma): Determines non-player reactions towards you and whether it's favorable or not.

Scores can range from 3-18. 3-8 is a penalty, so I doubt you'll go there. 9-12 is normal, no bonus. 13-15 is a +1 bonus. 16-17 is a +2, and 18 is a +3.

So I might have a fighter with STR 18, INT 9, WIS 9, DEX 17, CON 18, and CHR 9.

Hmm, that seems a bit odd. I'm gonna lower the points available to 75 so we don't get so many max scores.

Does that help?

I

Istanbul

STRength is just what it sounds like. Physical strength. Also determines how well you hit in melee and how much extra damage you do.

INTelligence is your ability to use logic. For example, it's my ability to look at the screen and say 'This is a monitor. I see no images.' It also determines how many spells a mage gets per day.

WISdom is your common sense. It's the ability to say 'Well, turn the monitor on, stupid.' It also directly affects how many spells clerics get per day.

CONstitution is how hardy you are. It helps determine how long you can hold your breath underwater, how long you can run without getting tired, etc. It also has an effect on how many bonus hit points you have.

DEXterity is how nimble you are. If you're climbing a rope, firing a bow, or picking locks, you're using dexterity. It also determines what kind of bonus you get to your AC (Armor Class (this determines how hard it is to hit you)), and any bonuses to missile weapon fire (bow, sling, whatever).

CHArisma is just what it sounds like. It's how endearing you are, how well you make friends, etc. Several specialty classes use it, Clerics use it to determine extra attempts to turn ("Begone, foul creature!") undead, and whatnot.

I

Istanbul

Just a hint....

Fighters want a high Strength.
Mages want a high Intelligence.
Clerics want a high Wisdom.
Rogues want a high Dexterity.
Everybody wants a high Constitution.
Clerics could use good Charisma, but it's not required.

B

Bob

Bob the Cleric
Neutral Good (If we have alignments...)
Human
Strength:9
Dexterity:):10
Intelligence:12
Wisdom:18
Constitution:11
Charisma:15 (BEGONE, FOUL CREATURE!)

Primary Weapon: Heavy Mace

Armor: ChainMail Armor under a clerical robe.

Shield: Small Wooden Shield

Backup Weapon: QuarterStaff

Ranged Weapon: Small Crossbow

Deity: I dunno about the old ones, but in 3rd edition I worship Pelor, God of the Sun.

I thought it was 3-9 penalty, 10-11 normal, 12-13:+1, 14-15:+2, 16-17:+3, 18:+4..thats the 3rd edition rules.

This is gonna be good...hopefully...

Edit: Fixed Dexterity

Z

Zero T Katama

Bob, you forgot your Dex. Hope you like a statue of a cleric

R

Rando

"Begone, foul creature...or I shall continue to stand here motionless!"

(Actually, if any physical stat [STR, DEX, or CON] are 0, then you are dead. If any mental stat [INT, WIS, CHS] are at 0, then you are a catatonic vegetable)

And don't forget Comleness! (COM) It was introduced in the 1st Ed. book Unearthed Arcana, and determined how physicaly attractive your were. Never used it myself in my campaigns, though.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, Charisma is not much used before 3rd, which is why they changed it a bit. Since I'm not really using 3rd, charisma is not that big of a deal (unless you want to turn encounters favorable).

Bob: That is the 3rd rules for bonus/penalties but for balance, the ones I gave are for the set I'm using.

I do like the idea of raising an attribute a point for every 3rd level so I'll incorporate that if we get that far :)

P

Prince RXI

Well, who ELSE has sent a person in? I hope for the full powers of my guy... Oh, and Spiderman? check your pms, I forgot to say race:(

Prince RXI, START START START!!! oh and my guy is basically the same as my real D&D guy:) only 4 points are distributed in addition:)

B

Bob

Are we gonna get feats and skills?
I know feats are a 3rd edition thing, but they are basically special abilities. You get 1 at 1st level, 2 if your human, and 1 every 3rd level. Fighters get twice as many, but they must be combat feats...

Thats just in case you want to have feats.