Neverwinter Nights 2

N

Nightstalkers

After reading the reviews, watching the videos, and playing the beta... I have to come clean and say this: Bull****.

If you've played any of the original Neverwinter Nights game you'll notice how they cleverly dress up all the original features as something spontaneous and new in the NWN2 engine. The gameplay in and of itself is a testament to how horribly unimaginative Obsidian is with their games. I'm talking about the same guys who pushed Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 as having updated graphics and gameplay.... Who buys this load of utter bull**** anyways? Sure they made a few things shiny in KOTOR2 and changed the gameplay, but it was the same fundamental engine. The same holds true to NWN2 as it fails to break away from the original Neverwinter Nights game.

Bulky graphics, dressed up pixels, and the same old spiel litter the walls of NWN2 as stark and obvious as the sun shines against the night. If Blizzard could get away with releasing a literal add-on for Starcraft labelled as being "Starcraft 2" then this is what Obsidian is getting away with doing, twice now!

Does anyone else agree with me?

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
meh...I bought NWN and played it awhile, but I really wasn't that into it...My kids still play it occasionally though. And I guess I'm weird, but I'd like it if Blizzard released another StarCraft game with exactly the same game engine...I LIKE that game engine...;)

M

mythosx

I worked at Atari right before the began really testing the game. I did get to mess around with the initial beta's. With out breaking any NDA's the game by itself is nothing flashy. The point of neverwinter nights was the ability to customize the game with ease (that is pretty relative). Its basically the 3.5 dnd engine set to digital images. If you dont find the content filling you are supposed to expand it on your own with tools. Thats the beauty of it. If you are looking for a great story you may or may not be disappointed. If you are looking to create a great story for others to run through this is the tool.

Z

Zigathon

I actually started playing the first one again a couple of days ago. Its still as fun as it was the first time around. I download modules for it all the time and then run a character through them to level 15 or above and then try my hand at Hordes of the Underdark... I've never beat that one.

N

Nightstalkers

mythosx said:
I worked at Atari right before the began really testing the game. I did get to mess around with the initial beta's. With out breaking any NDA's the game by itself is nothing flashy. The point of neverwinter nights was the ability to customize the game with ease (that is pretty relative). Its basically the 3.5 dnd engine set to digital images. If you dont find the content filling you are supposed to expand it on your own with tools. Thats the beauty of it. If you are looking for a great story you may or may not be disappointed. If you are looking to create a great story for others to run through this is the tool.
That's great and all but it's just repackaging the same old crap. It's like relabelling Coke as being Coke 2 and shipping it as some big new thing when it's not. Sure we get new labelling and a few updated graphics... but... what's the point to all that if you're going to have these bloody dolls running around? You see better graphics and environmental effects in games like Lego Star Wars and Dungeon Siege 2 for goodness sake.

M

mythosx

Nightstalkers said:
That's great and all but it's just repackaging the same old crap. It's like relabelling Coke as being Coke 2 and shipping it as some big new thing when it's not. Sure we get new labelling and a few updated graphics... but... what's the point to all that if you're going to have these bloody dolls running around? You see better graphics and environmental effects in games like Lego Star Wars and Dungeon Siege 2 for goodness sake.

to the untrained eye....I believe nwn was 3.0 dnd. nwn2 is actually 3.5. thats the difference. to regular pc gamers...not a big deal. to dnd enthusiats...its a big deal since 3.0 was so broken.

N

Nightstalkers

But they don't seem to be doing much more to the game itself. At least with games such as TES4:Oblivion they reworked the engine to incorporate better graphics, better physics, and all sorts of extras while shifting the entire game to another part of the world and mapping that horrible mess of a place.

Still can't wait till they decide to revamp Daggerfall (which is even larger than Morrowind and Cyrodiil).

B

BigBlue

Hmmm... I just picked up NWN 2... haven't opened it yet, but I did notice it said it was 3.5 as opposed to 3.0 D20 rules...

I'll withhold my own judgement for now... I love NWN, own all the expansions, have the latest patch etc, and it really is amazing...

So, for me... if buying NWN 2 keeps them developing for this genre, I don't mind spending the $... but, I'm not a starving college student or anything. The other part I love is that unlike many games, it's not a monthly pay as you go game... I refuse to commit to that crap...

N

Nightstalkers

It's not fully online... most games are either going for MMORPG status or sticking with the traditional free online gaming route.

Heck, look at Diablo 2 and Starcraft... two of Blizzards greatest titles that are still played even today.

D

DarthFerret

Three Cheers for Diablo 2. I just hit 40th level last night!

(Have only had it for about a month...)

The craft games are great...(warcraft and starcraft). I also really enjoyed playing Age of Mythology, however it got pretty old fast. Currently I am stuck on Diablo 2 and will prolly be stuck on that for a while. I am not confident enough to go online yet, but will try to let y'all know when I do

Tag Guard

N

Nightstalkers

Online gaming is really populated by gnarly beats and the like. But then again I haven't been online with it for quite a while. I'd suggest you go to closed BNET if you're going to go online though, the open is really just full of duplicate items and hacked characters.