Need suggestions for a good RPG

R

rkoelsch

I have played through Star Wars Knights of the Old republic over 10 times. I have played Gothic 2 5 times. I tried the demo for Prince of Persia but couldn't get use to the interface( and don't know if that is an RPG or an adventure game) Tried the demo for Sacred but not sure if I like it. I was thinking of trying Neverwinter Nights or Baldurs Gate. Just open to suggestions.

N

Nightstalkers

If you havent yet, you might try Neverwinter Nights... I haven't tried it personally...

Or try Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale 2

N

Notepad

Diablo II. Free online play, plus you can pick up the discs cheap since its getting on in years. A nice online community, too.

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by SeFRo
Diablo II. Free online play, plus you can pick up the discs cheap since its getting on in years. A nice online community, too.
Make sure you go closed battlenet, or you'll find how bad cheating really is on open battlenet.

T

Tabasco

Ya...considering the Hacks for Diablo II taht are free...I like my Maphack...

Also condiser the Final Fantasy Series....each of the games for PSOne or PS2 are at least 50-100 hours of gameplay

My fav's are FFVII and FFIX

N

Nightstalkers

A couple others I pulled from a friend and played are:

Septerra Core (Bundled with Shogo: Mobile Armored Division [an FPS that is kinda animeish] and can be found at your local Wal-Mart for around $10])

Arcanum: of steamworks & magic obscura

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Do you mainly play single-player or online or both?

I would recommend Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale (haven't tried Neverwinter Nights). In BG, you create one guy and have NPC's fill out the rest of your party and in ID, you create a party of six. BG1 you start out at 1st level and can import your character into BG2 or start anew at level 6 (might be 12, I started a multiclass character who was 6 level in each class). Only started ID2 so not sure how ID1 plays, but I'm sure it's fine.

You can get BG2 collection for $10 (original and expansion) at Target - not sure if ID and BG are still available - you might have to buy them secondhand at a EBGames at this point.

R

rkoelsch

Thanks for the replies. Well I actually went and bought Neverwinter Nights Platinum on Saturday before I checked for responses. I have to say I am very satisfied. I could probably spend a week just creating characters. It uses the official 3rd AD&D rules so it is very familiar. The platinum version has the original game with all patches and the 2 expansions. It also comes with a tool so you can create your own modules. I haven't tried the online community yet. I prefer to just do single player campaigns first.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oo, yeah, all the games I mentioned except ID2 use the 2nd ed. of the AD&D rules; only ID2 uses 3rd ed.

R

Rooser

Neverwinter Nights is one of the best and most complete products in computer game history. You will not be disappointed. That said, I don't feel that the single-player campaigns that the game came with really push the engine to it's limits. Once you start making your own modules you realize that it's so open-ended you could do anything.

M

Mikeymike

PC platform?

I can only talk from the PS2 RPG world (as I blatantly refuse to get into ANY PC game RPG's for fear of what they will do to my social life....except for Fallout), but my current love is Star Ocean: the Ends of Time. Best. Story. Ever.

Also, Prince of Persia is definitely an adventure game. There is very little RPG to it, but tons of adventure. An excellent game if you can get into it.

R

Rooser

You only need to fear the MMORPGs. The others are more like Fall Out. NWN is awesome in part because of the online community's penchant for making really good mods - thus you never run out of cool stuff to do. But you don't sit there addicted to the thing, nor do you pay 30 bucks a month.

Ferret

Staff member
I would recomment avoiding all D&D games (except for Neverwinter Nights). 90% of them were terrible at porting the paper and pencil version to pixels (try saying that five times fast).

If you want to play RPG's on a computer, I wholeheartedly recommend the Might & Magic series - not the Heroes games, but the actual RPG's - well, not IX. IX was bad. V and VI are actually one game when combined and will provide you w/ about 150+ hours of entertainment.

Of course, you could play the ultimate RPG: Wizardry 8. It is hands down the best in the genre. It was designed as a CRPG that was supposed to play like a paper and pencil game.

If you're on consoles (mostly PS1 and PS2) I would recommend the Final Fantasy series (duh), but also the Wild Arms series. They're kinda' like Final Fantasy meets the old west. Seriously good fun.

-Ferret

"Avoid the Tales of XXXX series - they're bad"

P

phyrexia

Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 Shadows of Amn (+Throne of Bhaal)

Very good RPG. Much better than Neverwinter Nights.

NvN was too short for my likings... and a way too easy final battle, although the second Expansion -Hordes of the Underdark- was kinda cool & better than the original campaign.

R

rkoelsch

Well just finished NWN today as a male Human Fighter. I liked the interaction with the NPC's and enjoyed listening to them. Bioware has once again created NPC's that I really enjoyed. Started to go through now as a female Elf Sorceress. Then after i play through this module a couple more times I have 2 other expansions and tons of player mods to play. I am going to be busy.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Ferret
I would recomment avoiding all D&D games (except for Neverwinter Nights). 90% of them were terrible at porting the paper and pencil version to pixels (try saying that five times fast).
So Neverwinter Nights is making up the 10%? :)

I disagree. BioWare has done an extremely good job of "porting" D&D to the computer. Baldur's Gate series and Icewind Dale series are really well-done (plus, I hear Farscape: Torment is great too, although it's not D&D - some other setting but still an RPG).