Need a computer genuis!! (jeff or anybody else)

T

TylersOnFire

HEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPP!! My dad jsut installed this thing on my comp that moniters every web site that i go to and moniters everrything that i type on the comp. this means no privacy on IMs, emails, or post (specifically in the battle zone) It is called NOrtons' System Doctor!! I discovered it after i went into the battle zone and flamed DAVE!!!!!! How do i remove sites ive been to or messages i have sent from the memeory of the DOCTOR?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Tyler

F

FoundationOfRancor

Maybe you could use an alias browser. Boot up one window, then boot a second. USe the second to go "wherever" you want to go. Just make sure to shut down the second one first, and only the history of the 1st window will be recorded. I think.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Why not just disable the program? Look around in the system tray (by the time) for it, or just use Ctrl-Alt-Del to close it. If that doesn't work, you'd have to edit the StartUp group in the Start Menu or your win.ini file.

T

TylersOnFire

Check with Chad!! He knows a lot about that stuff doesnt he! See what he says! KC! IM Mike (ED) and ask him to visit too and see what he says he has to know something about puters.

T

TylersOnFire

that would work but our dad would find out that we are deleting it!! we want a way to delete certain websites and messages from its memroy. Is that possible?

F

FoundationOfRancor

tyler, have you not seen my post? Try that, it might work 9It depends on what program your using)

F

FadingInsomniac

Before you browse, push Control+Alt+Delete and exit the program. When you're done, restart the comp. If your dad asks, say the computer crashed and you had to restart it. :)

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Yeah, that's what I meant, I just didn't say the last part :D

...hopefully they don't run an invisible, low-level background process ;)

F

FadingInsomniac

With a company like Norton, I wouldn't be suprised. Another option, Tyler, is to run Windows in Safe Mode. The Norton software may not load then. If you don't know how to that, post here and I'll help you out.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
IIRC (If I recall correctly), Safe Mode takes away your network permissions so I don't think he could get online anyway. Dune would know best! :)

Even then, safe mode uses default video drivers and (I think) locks you to 16 colors, so don't even get me started on how a website would look :)

I think he'd be forced to stop the program from starting up. Period. Which would probably involve screwing around with the win.ini and related files - not something I recommend to a novice.

Oh, and Tyler, don't expect them to have an easy way to remove entries from the program - that kinda defeats the purpose of it ;)

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I looked at the site Griffith_se posted the link to, and it looks like it would solve his problem. His old man would probably be able to figure out he was up to something, but he wouldn't be able to figure out what! ;)

T

TylersOnFire

Jeff you want to explain that control+alt+delete thing to me? What would it do?

F

FadingInsomniac

Push Control, Alt, and Delete at the same time. You'll see all of the programs currently running on your computer. Look for a Norton-ish program and highlight it and push "End Task".

L

Lythand

I think there is one thing we are all forgeting. If he already has the program instaled on his pc, then his dad already knows he is looking for a way to disable it because the program recorded his post on want to know a way to disable it. Am I right?

F

FadingInsomniac

I thought of that too. Unfortuantely, Tyler, Lythand is right. Your dad may already be aware of your plot to disable his reign of terror. If he is, you may be in big trouble. Trust me, being in trouble for somthing you did on the internet is not fun. Don't ask.

Z

Zadok001

Ah, the pleasures of being the only person in the family who knows how to double-click on the IE icon... :) J/K, my parents simply don't care what I do on the web.

Mayhaps one method you could use would be an alternate startup? If Winblows already starts up with the little Username/password dialogue, it's not too hard to make a new user that wouldn't startup the Norton utility automatically, neh? Of course, you have to remember to log out afterwards, and log back in under the standard username.

"Yeh, neh, Ed?"

F

FadingInsomniac

Well, Tyler, I guess the only chance you have is that. When you restart your computer, does it ask for a username and password?

F

FoundationOfRancor

USE SILENT SURF!!!! AHHHH IT WORKS!!! SCROLL UP AND USE IT!!!!

F

FadingInsomniac

But then Tyler's dad would see that he went to that site so he'd know Tyler has something to hide.