Mystic Remora

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Until I accidently used it in a highlander deck, I had always ignored the insane power of Mystic Remora. I don't know how I missed it. I drew, I think, five cards off of the one enchantment, and only payed one upkeep. In another game I drew three and didn't pay any upkeep, just because I didn't want to). This card is obviously superior to the more popular Ancestral Recall. I mean how many decks can afford to pay the mana to keep you from drawing cards? I'm apparently quite lucky then, possessing several playsets of this powerhouse. But I'm so nice, I'm offering to trade one of them for one of the inferior Ancestral Recalls, just to help people out...

No need to thank me...

R

Rooser

Well.... obviously you're exaggerating a bit, but yeah, that's definitely an overlooked card, especially in casual multiplayer.

And you can use a Power conduit to move the age counters off, effectively making this have a standard upkeep of 1!

M

Mikeymike

I agree that it can be strong, but evetually the C-U will start to become a problem of sorts. Personally I prefer Rhystic Study over the Remora since it doesn't tie up resources on your end and works off all spells, but it is not as guaranteed as the Remora.

Remora has most likely gained a little strength as well due to Mirrodin, as (at least in my group) I've seen more non-creature artifacts being played early in the game.

All in all, it is a very efficient card-drawer in MP, which usually pays off much more then it costs.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Heh, yeah I like Study as well, but that one at least gets used in decks somewhat. It's also not as fun to pretend it's an Ancestral Recall...

O

orgg

The reason that Remora isn't as strong as Rystic Study is the non-creature clause.

Rystic Study is an ability that people often will forget about and gains you a ton more cards on average due to it requiring little upkeep(pun intended). I've drawn over twelve cards over two turns after playing Rystic Study as the last card in my hand(topdecks rock). The most I've drawn from Remora is four in one round, ever. It's decent to include due to its cheap cost, but really look at it like Peace Talks: A card that lasts until the beginning of your next upkeep, and that's it.

T

train

Technically people shouldn't "forget" about the Study, as it should be placed on that stack, and everyone "reminded"...

now, whether they have mana left to pay it or not is another story...;)

Dang Blue card!!!...:mad: ;)

T

train

In-house rules for train's games in Maryland - no blue cards may be played, owned, or even in the presence of train...

think that's too much?!...;)

T

train

yeah... well... maybe it's who has the six-shooter that will make a difference...:p

"It may only hold 6 bullets, but when empty, it makes one heck of a beating stick!...":p

I actually do have a few more questions if you wouldn't mind spidey - concerning Maryland and all... I'll PM them a little later...

R

Rooser

Egad, spidey! you live in MAryland? I might be moving to said state this fall.

Or maybe not.

So much up in the air.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, or so my Location tells me ;)

Boy, we could have a regular CPA group... of course, it depends where in Maryland you might be moving to... wouldn't do much good out in Western Maryland :)

T

train

or so my Location tells me...
- Has it lied to you before?!...;)

we're looking at Baltimore... or the suburbs toward College Park - as I don't think the UMB(satellite) can help me much with my Architecture courses...

But a regular CPA group would be cool!... now - about that convention...

:p

R

Rooser

If I go out there, it would be to Baltimore, but whether I go or not is not entirely in my hands. I won't really know until April.