My Pizza Game

N

Notepad

I'm working on a card game (not collectible, just a standard box-based card game) about pizza delivery. Here are the first draft of the rules.

I'll try to get the cards and any rules revisions posted here as well.

PREGAME SETUP:
-Players set up their store, and their four friendly site cards in any order right of the store.
-Players then draw one card at random from the remaining site pile and place that to the right of their line.
-The site cards should touch in the middle, for a lineup of 12 total cards (10 sites, 2 stores)
-This is the delivery area for the game.
-As a note, players can nenver enter an opponent's store.
-Sites sometimes have different effects for different players.
-One's delivery area is only the sites facing him or her.
-In two-player is is meaningless. All face you.
-In three-player (Y-axis) or four-player (X-axis), this really matters.
-You cannot go to sites out of your delivery area.
-Players set their drivers and cars at their store and prepare gas counters.
-Players shuffle their inventory decks, which must be 50 cards exactly.
-Players draw an initial hand of 5 cards, then begin play.

0. ROUNDS:
0.1. Randomly determine which player goes first in the first round.
0.2. That player takes a turn, then the player next in a clockwise order takes his or her turn.
0.3. When each player has taken a turn in the round, the next round begins.
0.4. For sequential rounds, the first player in the round is the next clockwise from the round previous.
1. DRAW STEP
1.1. If you have more than five cards in hand, discard down to five.
1.2. You may discard up to two cards from your hand.
1.3. You then must draw up to five cards.
2. DISPATCH STEP
2.1. If you have any cars still at your store, flip a card from the RUNS pile.
2.1.1. Assign the flipped run card to any one driver still at your store.
2.1.2. Determine the delivery site.
2.1.2.1. Roll the specified number of dice (d6).
2.1.2.2. Count that far away from your store.
2.1.2.2.1. Always skip yours and your opponent's stores when counting.
2.1.2.2.2. If you would reach the end of the sites, loop back around.
2.1.2.3. The store at the end of the counting is the delivery site for the run.
2.1.3. That driver must now take that run until it is delivered or failed.

2.2. If any of your runs don't have a customer, draw from the CUSTOMERS pile.
2.3. For each car already out of the store, remove a timer counter from its run.
2.3.1. If a run has no timer counters left when you go to do this, it is failed.
2.3.2. The driver was piddling around, so automatically drain a gas counter from the car.
3. PLAY PROMOS & ROAD SIGNS STEP
3.1. You play any one Promo card from your hand, if you wish to play any.
3.2. In clockwise order, each opponent may then play one Road Sign card each.
3.3. Repeat until no player plays a Promo or a Road Sign in a particular go-round, then move on.
3.4. All Promos and Road Signs take effect in the order of your choice, since it is your turn.
4. HUSTLE STEP
4.1. You may move any cars by an amount of sites equal to their Speed.
4.2. You may move cars less than the total speed. But remember, the time to move is now!
4.3. The store counts as a site card for the total.
4.4. If a car moved at all, it must make a check for fuel consumption.
4.4.1. If a car has no fuel counters left and would need to lose a counter, it blows up.
4.4.1.1. Remove the car from the game.
4.4.1.2. The driver is stranded and must be picked up by another driver and car.
5. ACTION STEP
5.1. For each car, choose: Make a delivery attempt, refuel, or pickup/drop off a driver.
5.1.1. DELIVERY ATTEMPT: Try to meet the criteria of the Run and Customer cards. (Only at delivery site)
5.1.2. REFUEL: Discard cards to regain gas. (Only at store or a gas station site)
5.1.3. PICKUP/DROPOFF:
5.2. Only one of the above actions can be chosen per car.
5.3. Regarding deliveries:
5.3.1. If you are at the delivery site, check the criteria of the run and the customer.
5.3.2. If any rolls are called for by either card, roll them.
5.3.2.1. Make rolls called for the run before any called for by the customer.
5.3.2.2. Take into mind any card played from anyone's hand that may add, subtract, or alter rolls.
5.3.2.3. Remember to count any driver and/or car bonuses to such rolls.
5.3.3. If you succeed in the rolls, the run is finished. Good work!
5.3.3.1. If the run is finished, see if you meet the tip criteria of BOTH customer and run.
5.3.3.2. If any rolls are called by either, make those rolls. Run before customer.
5.3.3.3. Cards played and the driver and car may alter these rolls.
5.3.3.4. If you meet the criteria and pass the rolls, gain the tips listed.
5.3.3.5. Finished runs are stacked in your sales pile.
5.3.4. If you fail the rolls and/or the criteria, you fail the run.
5.3.4.1. Check the risks of BOTH run and customer.
5.3.4.2. If rolls are called for by either, make those checks. (Run before customer)
5.3.4.3. If any rolls are failed, take the risk.
5.3.4.4. If there are no rolls called for, the risk is automatic.
5.3.4.5. If a driver would be fired, the car is abandoned and must later be towed.
5.3.4.5. Failed runs are shuffled back into the RUNS pile at end of turn.
5.3.5. At the finsih or failure of any run, the customer is shuffled into the CUSTOMER pile at end of turn.
5.4. Regarding refueling:
5.4.1. You can only refuel at a gas station or your store.
5.4.2. To refuel, discard any number of cards from your hand. Put that many fuel counters on the car.
5.4.3. A car cannot have more than the maximum number of fuel counters listed for it.
5.5. Regarding pickup and dropoff:
5.5.1. If you have only one driver in the car, you may pick up any stranded driver.
5.5.2. If you have two drivers in the car, you may strand one at the site.
5.5.3. Cars may leave the store with more than one driver.
5.5.4. Stranded drivers may only take actions if a card is played that allow them to do so.
5.5.5. If a stranded driver and abandoned vehicle are at the same site, pickup to that vehicle is automatic.
6. PROGRESS STEP
6.1. If any "this turn" cards are out, put them into their owner's discard piles.
6.2. If any player has abandoned cars, they may get them towed.
6.2.1. The tow cost is equal to the distance from the store.
6.2.2. That many cards must be discarded to return the car to the store.
6.2.3. The car may be towed only part way for cost +1.
6.3. If any player has no cars or no drivers, he or she loses the game.
6.4. If any player has ten or more runs in his sales pile, he wins the game.
6.5. If any players have an inventory deck with zero cards left, they reshuffle their discard piles into their deck.
6.6. End the turn and the next player in clockwise order goes.

*SPECIAL RULE: In multiplayer, all turn orders are clockwise. You have to follow the clock, after all.
*SPECIAL RULE: Remake cards can be played at any time to alter a card play or even a step. They will say specifically when they can be played. Such cases are the only time they can be played.

L

Limited

Wow! Ease us in there!

I like the idea, especially placing cards on the table to make the board.. but on the other hand, that might set the game up in favor of a certain player.

Next, I don't think you really interact a lot. In a two-player game, you each have 5 sites and can't go out of you delivery site. I'm not sure how this works for three players.. (do you set a triangle? Is one part of the square facing noone or facing all?)

Next, there is a lot going on. I confess I don't fully see how you intend this game, but sofar I've read about cars, drivers, order, site, inventory and store cards. If that isn't complex enough, a run has time and fuel counters..

So on the one hand, the delivery part is very complex; on the other hand you assume your kitchen has no capacity problems? Not being forced to use the faster driver for a particular order because the cook messed up the order?

Overal, I would say it needs more interaction between players. Turn the game possibilities down a notch and try to incorporate it. Perhaps every player starts with his or her store in the middle of a row of houses, and connect in a circle? So, if you are the player to my right, the two houses to the left of your store are houses 3 and 4 to my right. Now you could try to make customers loyal customers. Win by being the only pizza-delivery place, or win if your area contains X houses, where x is something determined at the start of the game.

Looking forward to see what you come up with.

N

Notepad

There should be a lot of interaction, actually. Each players plays 5 sites, but those sites line up. The sites will be double-sided as when lined, they face the other player as well. So like:

Store=S
Site=x
_ = blank

SxxxxxxxxxxS

Three-player, as described, is a Y-axis, so:

_______S
_______x
_______x
_______x
_______x
_______x
_____x___x
____x_____x
___x_______x
__x_________x
_x___________x
S_____________S

So each player would sit within a wedge and have access to their own sites, plus one opponent's sites. Same for four-player, but that would be an X-axis. Not triangles or squares.

I was trying to cut down the number of card types. So far:
Site: An space of game area with effects for players.
Store: A special site where a player is safe and dispatches happen.
Run: Basically a mission card that needs to be fulfilled.
Road Sign: Basically a sorcery/enchantment type card.
Promos: Same as Road Sign, but playable only on your turn.
Remake: The equivalent of interrupts in the game.
Car/Driver: The two units that go together. More like game pieces on the board of sites.

There are dice. Runs have timer counters. Cars have gas counters. There is attacking, but only with special cards. Of the three affiliations so far, Trigger Pizza, Brainiac Pis (not mispelled), and Fatboy Pizza, it is Trigger that is the attacker of the bunch, wanting to hurt other places. What goes on in the streets, stores, etc will be handled by Promo/Roadsign cards.

I'm working on making the first batch and playing a couple test games. Hopefully some good stuff will surface as to what works and what doesn't.

L

Limited

ASKII Art to the rescue!

Now I get what you want to do with the board. I still don't see how this leads to interaction. You may have to do a run to a Site near an opponents' store, but how can you interact? How does you driving there affect his business?

I think the site should be the thing your fighting over; the game starts by people calling the nearest shop, but lack of service or bad pizza should move them to another players area or something.

Keep posting! I am curious to see how it turns out (would you mind if I take your idea and try to make a game of it myself?)

B

BigBlue

Interesting....

I had an idea for a new card game once.... It was also a non-CCG game, I thought would be interesting. Good luck with yours, it's a lot of work developing a game.

(Someday I may invest the time required to really come up with it, so I won't bore you with what little details I came up with - but suffice it to say it was similar in that you "build" the board up with cards playing off each other. The general Idea was a bee colony. And later I would do one for Ants if I was successful with the first one.)