My mom wrote a book!

A

Apollo

Hey fantasy readers out there (fantasy readers? On a Magic board? Please.)!

I don't want to spam up the forums here, but since traffic is relatively light anyway... I'm going to do just that. My mom just had a book come out at the start of this month called The Warrior Heir. It's from Hyperion Press, and should be at all the major booksellers.

It's targeted at a slightly younger audience, but it's pretty accessible; people keep likening it to "Harry Potter set in Ohio" (though this pisses my mom off because it was written about a year before Harry came out). It's a little more hard-edged and realistic than Harry, and has had pretty good reviews from the number of college students I know that have read it.

Anyway, you don't all have to run out and buy it, but if you're looking for something to read, at least tell your library to order it. It would make my mom really happy. ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats to your mom!

It's not spam if it's coming from a well-established member... :)

Wow, she wrote it before Harry? That was like 6-8 years ago... did she have a hard time getting it published?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Congrats to Mommy Apollo!

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!!!!!

Ransac, cpa trash man

O

orgg

If I see it around at a good price, I'll pick it up, probably.

Assuming I have the cash. Congratulations to your mother for getting a book published!

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Good price? You mean were all not getting an advanced copy signed by the author?

Doesn't this site have any pull at all?

Actually, I found it for about $12, just google for it, Congrats.

A

Apollo

Tell you what, if you get a copy I can send you a signed nameplate to stick inside. ;)

Spidey: well, it was begun before the first Harry came out. It took her a couple of years, and Harry came out somewhere in the middle of that. At first she didn't really know how to go about selling it, and actually wrote a second book (which will come out in a year or two) before she even tried to sell the first. After that, it took her a while to get an agent, and then even longer to find a publisher that was interested. It's also been about 14 months since the book was bought; it had to go through all kinds of editing and such.

In the end, after years of wading through the selling process, she got a call from Simon & Schuster offering her $15,000 plus 10 percent of whatever it sells. Thrilled, she told them she'd call them back and started calling all of her friends. An hour later, Hyperion called and offered her $25,000 plus 10 percent.

The next thing we knew, years of rejection turned into a bidding war for the darn thing. By the next day, Hyperion was offering somewhere over $60,000 plus 10 percent and a promise to sell it overseas.

And that's how my mom's book got published. It was pretty exciting. :)

D

DarthFerret

I like Italian!

Congrats, been lookin for somethin new to read....may try to pick it up...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, I wonder what made the publishers go for the book "all of a sudden".

I'll try to pick it up too. My birthday's coming up... ;)

A

Apollo

Ransac said:
That means you'll be able to take all of us out to lunch, right?

:D

Ransac, cpa trash man
No, but my mom will. Just show up at her door in Cleveland and explain to her what's going on. I'm sure she'll understand. ;)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Cleveland...... that's only 2 hours from the City of Champions...... :p
Which pre-release do you go to? The one in Butler, PA is only about 1.25 hours from you.

I want my pasta el-dente...... :D

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I'll just tell your mom that I invited you to a tournament in Atlanta years ago, when you didn't like my Balancing Tings deck.

Ransac, ca trash man

A

Apollo

Moosey: I'm in Illinois for school, and haven't made the last few prereleases. But back in the day, I went to a place in Akron.

Ransac: I can't see how that could fail. Just make sure you mention how badly I got my butt kicked.

T

train

That is really cool...

My mom has one locally published - poetry... she tries selling it at various events and such, and it's not bad for her hobby...

What about sending you the book and having your mom autograph it...

Has she done any local book shops for signings or promotions?

A

Apollo

She has these little book insert plate things that are sticky on one side. She signs 'em, and then you stick 'em on the title page, and voila! Autographed book. I could mail you those if you like.

She's done two or three book signings already, gave a speech at a book fair and is presenting at libraries. We also like to sneak into Borders and move her book so that it's on the end of the shelf facing out. :D

T

train

Now that's product placement...:cool:

I'll look into it, and if i do buy - will let you know so I can get a plate...

Cool...

:D