my deck doesn't work WHY?

H

Hellion

I made this T1 B/W deck and played it with my friend, I thought tis was an all rounder deck...but it failed miserbly...it died to counterspells, bellies up to white weenies and can't take a little burn...i hope you guys can help me here...I DON'T know wat's wrong with this deck...Thanks.....

Creatures (11):
4 Abyssal Spector
3 Thrashing Wumpass
4 Nightwind Glider

Spells (22):
4 Swords to Plowshares
2 Spirit Link
4 Dark Ritual
3 Armageddon
3 Disenchant
2 Stupor
4 Gerard's Verdict

Artifacts (3):
3 Nevinyrral's Disk

Lands (24):
15 Swamp
9 Plains

A

artifact

Well for one the deck isn't 60 cards, but that isn't a problem.
Try these changes:

Creatures
3x Abyssal Spectors
4x Nightwind Gliders
4x Order of the White Shield (or Order of Leitbur)
3x White Knights (or Order of Leitbur)

Spells
4x Swords of Plowshare
4x Duress
3x Armageddons
3x Dark Rituals

Enchantments
3x Pestilence

Artifacts
4x Star compass
3x Nevinyrral Disks

Lands
12 Swamps
10 Plains

I tried to keep most of the original cards in these changes. More of the creatures are now Pro:Black so that you can use pestilence without fear of losing your creatures. I also took out the disenchants knowing that not many enchantments will be a big enough problem for you to get rid of them and you still have the Nevinyrral's Disks for any enchantment that would ruin your day.
Duress is a better discard card then your stupors and you can get one off early to mess up a blue player's day. I added the star compasses to help out with the mana flow since a lot of the white spells needs 2 WW to cast out as with a few of the black spells needing 2 BB. I know the basic idea was to have a thrashing wumpus out with a spirit link on it to gain massive amounts of life but they are to vulnerable to direct damage especially if you use thier ability and making where the direct damage doesn't have to be 3. Also I left the dark rituals in so you can get some of your more expensive spells off earlier if you need to or to power the pestilence for 3 more damage. :)
Now the way this deck will play is that you will want to get your cheap knights out early to lower your opponent's life total down.
As soon as you can cast out pestilence. It will help you keep board control as well as lowering your opponent's life total down. Just remember that your life will be going down too and that you really don't have anyway of getting it back up (except for the swords my own creature in time of need).
Hope that helps, Let me know if it works for you in a post here.

D

Duel

Basically, I think this deck needs more focus. Playing b/w lends itself to weenie beatdown, and I want to keep this pretty cheap (Otherwise Savannah Lions and Glorious Anthems might be in it...)I'd throw some shadow in, and some pro-red, and you have a winner.

4x Dauthi Horror
4x Soltari Trooper
3x Soltari Priest
3x Paladin En-Vec
4x Hypnotic Specter
4x Carnophage
2x Mother of Runes

4x Armageddon (GREAT card. Creatures until turn 3, geddon on turn 4)
4x Dark Rituals
4x Swords to Plowshares
4x Duress/disenchant

4 Caves of Koilos (otherwise, run 3 swamps and 1 plains)
9 Plains
7 Swamps

Basically, I sped the deck up.

Here are the changes and why:
My creatures are either faster (hypnotic specter is possible first turn with ritual, and I have 1 cc creatures), Or have evasion (shadow is good), or have protection from a color (MoR, Priest, and Paladin).

Upped the geddon count to 4. These are amazing, because they shut down slower decks.

You should out-speed Counterspell decks. Pro-red guys give sligh a hard time, But white weenie is as fast as you, and has pro-black guys. You'll still have trouble with it.

H

Hellion

i reedited the deck...i missed out somethings are typed Gerard's Wisdom instead of Gerard's Verdict.....

the deck count and cards are accurate now....

artifact's advise sounds logical.....

anymore? anyone?

I

Istanbul

First of all, you need to decide what you want to do.

Do you want board control?
Are you trying to kill quickly?
What kind of budget do you have?
Do you know what kind of decks you'll be facing? If so, what are they?

Finally, as a seasoned T1 player, I can tell you that the biggest problem you're likely to face is the format. Expect to see everything under the sun, from green fatties to ProsBloom to white weenie to 5CG to land destruction to burn to TurboLand to all sorts of goodies.

M

Mikeymike

If burn is a problem, I would consider Paladin En-Vec and/or Mystic Crusader. Plus, either of their secondary abilities are very helpful and the stand up well to White Weenie.

I agree with Duel, the deck lacks focus i.e. you are trying to do way too many things. Certain cards in your deck crush other types of decks, but your deck doesn't have a theme that can really benefit from your mass destruction spells. Duel's deck is a different build, but its a good one that displays the type of focus I'm referring to.

Hypnotic Spectre is far superior to the Abyssal Spectre, if you can get them run them.

R

r00tg04t

lol, well... i will list possible replacements not make a whole deck list and list some cards you should try

(your version):

Creatures (11):
4 Abyssal Spector (replace with Hypnotic Spector)
3 Thrashing Wumpass (replace with.. masticore maybe?)
4 Nightwind Glider (Replace with White Knight)

Spells (22):
4 Swords to Plowshares
2 Spirit Link (Replace 2 spirit link, 2 stupor with 4 Hymn to Tourach)
4 Dark Ritual
3 Armageddon (go down to 2 geddons)
3 Disenchant (go down to 2 disenchant)
2 Stupor (take out, see above.)
4 Gerard's Verdict (leave in)

Artifacts (3):
3 Nevinyrral's Disk

Lands (24):
15 Swamp (you should use dual lands, i belive it is scrub land)
9 Plains

Ok now for a list of possible cards

Diabolic Edict
Contagion
P9
Dual Lands
Cursed Scroll (amazing board controll)
The Rack
Pox (bust out and make a casual t1 pox deck)
Duress (why you didn't have these before, i do NOT know)
Bottle Gnomes (maybe)
Black Vise
Mind Twist
Mox Diamond
etc..