My BIG BEAR deck

N

Notepad

MTGO is pretty cool. Built a deck on there that does nothing but creates a big bear. Nice thing about MTGO is it changes the card's text and look for you, so a cute little pic like below is possible. My bear deck is fun. Anybody else doing silly stuff like this on MTGO?

Attachments

N

Notepad

Well, Istanbul was witness to when I got the bear's stats into the 500 million range. Yes, 500 million, honestly.

Was working on it again tonight. Got the sucker right over 10 billion, then the game suddenly crashed on me. Go figure...

Anybody on MTGO have any spare Nightscape Masters, Sunscape Masters, or Mirari's Wake?
I have all the stat boosters, now I just need to abuse returning stuff to my hand to keep boosting the bear. In case you want to know my formula:

LOTS of enchantments that boost power
4x Nantuko Mentor
-----------------------------
These two go hand in hand for big stats

4x Clone
4x Aphetto Alchemist
4x Seeker of Skybreak
4x Elder Druid
-----------------------------
These dudes do a lot to boost the abilities of the mentor. With these, I basically have 20 mentors on the table, to pump a bear who will already have stats in the 400-500 range from enchantments.

Then, I figured something meaner...bounce with haste:
2x Nightscape Master
1x Dispersing Orb

As you can see, I really need more bounce, but with the one orb, I basically have as many uses of the mentor as I can stuff Islands into my deck.

Would have gotten than 23rd use of a mentor off on the bear if only the game could handle the stats...

Z

Zadok001

Are we talking 500 million sans unbounded recursion engines? Yikes. :)

T

train

These would be cool... If only they were on MTG:O

Delif's Cone
Color= Artifact Type= Artifact Cost= 0 FE(C1)
Text (FE+errata): {Tap},Sacrifice ~this~: This turn, when target creature you control attacks and isn't blocked, you may gain life equal to its power. If you do, it deals no combat damage this turn. [Oracle 2001/08/24]

Bloodshot Cyclops
Color= Red Type= Creature - Giant Cost= 5R UD(R)/7(R)
Text (7th): 4/4. ; {Tap},Sacrifice a creature: ~this~ deals damage equal to the sacrificed creature's power to target creature or player.

Never really thought I'd see a use for the cone...

:eek:

T

theorgg

Guess where "Chuck" is nowdays?

At one point, we were calling it "severed edition," but now 7th seems just fine. Sixth we sometimes call 666th edition, though...

N

Notepad

It turns out I should have been paying more attention. It turns out MTGO limits the numbers in the high 2 billion mark. I was Dispering Orb'ing away, thinking I had the bear super close to a trillion, and then I look up and see its stats were the same, and they should have been different by about 10 points. Then, I notice only 10 digits...not 12. BUMMER! But hell, at least I found the limit of how big stuff can get in the game. Now, I guess to test what the life limit is...though with the slow counter on the game, I'd have to wait years to see if it could count to a billion, literally.

Attachments

T

train

That's what MTG:O looks like???...:rolleyes:

The cards aren't bad - but the screen "land" reminder text seems kind of odd...

What's in the background?

W

WickedBoy6

I still like Apprentice. It's not visually as impressive, but at least it's free, and all of the cards are at your disposal...which could be a good thing at times, but can also become a liability in some games.

N

Notepad

That little screen with the plains in it is the graveyard. It was displaying the top card of my graveyard, which happened to be land, since I was sacrificing to Dispersing Orb a whole lot. And check out the size of the graveyard.

The background was some cool forest artwork, but it expands to match the play area, and mine had become huge, spanning a lot of screens, so the nice image suddenly got stretched into this highly pixelated monstrosity.

MTGO is pretty good. If you play Magic, then you pay for cards, and would be a fool to tease paying for MTGO. Bottom line. Its just which side you choose to pay for. And trust me, you physical cards are much more at risk of going away than any digital ones. If there's ever a hack, it'll be a pretty rare incident. How many times do you need to watch your stuff when you play IRL? Folks out there stealing and damaging cards everywhere, much more common than hackers.

T

train

Those are nice and valid points... but if Magic ever goes under - possibility nowadays - I'll still have physical cards I can play with...

Will WOTC reimburse all the digital ones you'd no longer have?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt it. If you were trading your physical cards in, maybe, but even that's unlikely. It's a different medium.

It would be like getting your Everquest or other MMORG character's equipment in real dollars if those servers ever went down for good.

W

WickedBoy6

Other points why I like Apprentice. Like I said, it's not graphically impressive, but with all the cards at your disposal, what do the people have to hack for? Plus, it's free, which is one of the big reasons I don't play M:TGO: I'm broke.

N

Notepad

I think Geordie Tait's recent article on Star City shows the pure addictive goodness that is MTGO. Try it, and you'll see. ;)

Its nowhere near as bad as you thought. Now please pledge all your belongings to the cult and drink this special fruit punch...

W

WickedBoy6

No thanks, I'm still too broke to py for computer Magic when I can't even afford REAL cards, but I will add to your drink.

*Hands SeFRo a badg of Doritos*

N

Notepad

Doesn't the rabid "come on and try it" attitude remind you of Juno users? I remember Juno users (before it was merged with NetZero and just an email service) were like zombies giving testamonials to everyone they knew, trying to increase the brainwashed hordes.

Now, MTGO is that cyber age cult. Sadly, I am a member. Sadly, Geordie Tait went and promoted that message on a grand scale...

B

BigBlue

When it was free (I was one of the Alpha Testers ages ago), I saw how addictive it could be. Any hour of the day or night you can find a draft tournament, or a league game...

I weaned myself of it before it went live... I was spending 20-30 hours a week on it at my worst (spending nothing for what would have been thousands of dollars in packs).

I really think Lizards did a great job porting the game, other than the shuffling... I never got the hang of completely random... always flooded or screwed using the same deck in solitaire or casual play.

And many of the weekend tournaments were more a test of stamina than skill... But I do miss a couple acqaintences I made there from distant places, including Elaine from Lizards (she's a hoot).

N

Notepad

...oh no...shuffler complaints...;)

Those are a dime a dozen. Something really is messed up with it. I get more mana screws/floods than I do with a real life deck and I was dumb enough not to shuffle out the clumps after a game. Yeah, when its that bad, somethings wrong.

Other than that...its like pure brainwashing goodness...

(except for the other players)

L

lilpinhead

personally, ive been playing mtgo since the beta...and fer all the hard work testin i did fer em they gave me 10 bucks to buy a few packs or pre cons...heh. yea. anyhoo...i play regurlary and have even jumped headfirst into some drafts..which in my opinion once ya get good enuff (and by mtgo standards "good enuff" means mediocre when compared to real life) ya get packs fer prizes. ya then sell a few packs for some tickets that let you join the next draft...its like a free cycle really. i now have around 4 or 5 thousand cards at ym disposal and a TON of these "event tickets" which i just use as online currency to buy cards from other players. its hardcore family fun! just thought id add my 2 cents.