MVP in Tokyo: Sutcliffe

F

FrigginRizzo

After day one, it seems that U/B/R Sutcliffe is tearing it up. Since David is too modest to toot his own horn, I figured I'd drop a little noise all y'alls way. Of course, R/B Rizzo Technology (the most obvious tech ever)ain't doing too shabby either, and I think I could beat Sutty in arm wrestling.

Have a nice day. Or just a day.

John Friggin' Rizzo

G

Gizmo

Go-Go Prof!

Craig 'Prof' Jones is the leading UK player going 6-0 from day one. Craig is the guy who played my Sligh deck to win at Birmingham, and he`s been working on the UBR decks alongside me, although chose to play a more aggressive build because he didn`t expect too many of the other UBR decks to run Scorching Lava, which is very strong against his mix of Blazing Spectres and Pyre Zombies.

http://www.wizards.com/sideboard/article.asp?x=PTTOK01\878jonesint

G

Gizmo

Aww, he missed out on the Top-8. But he`ll be happy with his 26th place, you can be sure of that.

I like his Flametongue tech, he hadn`t shown me that and it`ll prbably work it`s way into my SB.

Z

Zadok001

I can't help but feel like Evil Eye of Orms By Gore would have DOMINATED that PT had it been in the legal sets... :) I know I'm wrong, but I can't get the idea out of my head...

D

Duel

Touche! I have to go with Mox. Go O!

Nobody's congradulated me, yet. *sob* I TOLD you r/g was good! Well, ABU agrees!

G

Gizmo

I don`t think anybody said GR was bad, I just felt (and still do feel) that UBR would beat it more often than not. Pure Reflection was a real beating, though - I think somebody has posted it in 'Single Card Strategies' and when I read that it was good vs counters I suddenly realised that it would wreck my UBR deck if it came down. I hadn`t heard anybody using the tech before, though, so half expected it would crop up post-Tokyo, but Zvi/JohnO had obviously already spotted it.

J

John`O

For several weeks the 'Solution' deck was losing to Kai's
UBR (which was our best deck for ages) until we worked out
the Reflection - Disrupt - Gainsay sideboard.
Pure Reflection made the difference and was basically our 'tech'.

Here's some comments I've found on Reflection by some 'net writers...

"Pure reflection. uuuuum no! "
"Below average. To break the symmetry, you would have to
have some way of preventing your opponent from casting creatures,
and to have some use for moderately fat tokens that are frequently
summoning sick. "
"Cute but wildly unreliable. If you can set up some situation with
coming into play effects, you probably have a poor deck. "
"Every once in a while they print a card that no one can find a use for in constructed,
and it’s even more out of place in limited. That’s pretty much the case here. It might be good, but when?"

John

Team Godzilla

D

Duel

ROFLMAO

I remember when I saw that card in the sideboard.

My brother, as he usually does, spotted it before anyone else and placed it as a card against my u/b warped devotion deck a while back. I dismissed it, as did he, because the deck he was playing couldn't support it. This is typical of our matchups. He was playing fires before it became dominant, before fires of yavimaya came out..... I also thought pure reflection was a little janky, but fun. I have two or three. Anyone want them? Zvi probably thinks they're good......