Murderous Betrayal

• Thread starter Thallid Ice Cream Man
  • Start date
T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Murderous Betrayal
BBB
Enchantment (Nemesis)
BB, Pay half your life, rounded up: Destroy target non-black creature. It can't be regenerated.

This card's inherent lack of potential troubles me. Has anyone actually used it to any sort of advantage?

G

Gerode

Could be interesting with the Liches, but I've never played it.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Worship only deals with damage, not life loss or life payments.

Gerode: How would it work? Would the player just discard his/her hand?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it's not good against other black decks, unless you pair it with blue to change the color...

To keep using it, I think you need a way to keep replenishing your life unless you have some way to stop all other damage.

So maybe pair it with White and Spirit Link or any of the life-gain-when-damage-dealt creatures?

G

Gerode

Never mind about that. I just thought about paying no life for the Murderous Betrayal, and "Lich" popped in my mind because 0/2 = 0.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Well, after some investigation I saw that you can still kill yourself under Nefarious Lich without removing a single card - it just subtracts life.
Under Lich, however, you could keep paying it and paying it and paying it and paying it and paying it and paying it... and you'd eventually get to exactly 0 and stay there, without having to sac anything.

Apparently neither one triggers from direct loss of life, just damage.
So Lich would work extremely well. Thanks a lot for thinking of it, I think I may just have to build a deck around that (with Bargain/Necro too!).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I just saw TICM's deck based on this in the Deck forum... basically Lich won't work, because you need to have life before you can pay life. Check the errata on Lich at Crystalkeep or Rule G.19.6

L

Lotus Mox

yes, you can't pay more life than you have.
But when you are at 0 life, in order to activate Murderous Betrayal, you have to pay half your life which is 0, and since you still have 0 life left, you should be able to use it :)