Multiplayer Protocol - What do you play?

What kind of deck do you play with for Multiplayer?

• Any pile of cards

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any pile of Magic cards

• Any pile of 60+ Magic cards

• Any pile of 60+ Magic cards w/ no more than 4 of a single card

• Any pile of 60 legal in type I

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Specific non-mentioned DCI format required

• Specific house rules format required

• Total voters
L

Landkiller

I restrict myself to playing type I legal decks, although some of my friends use any 60 cards, no more than 4 of a given card as their guideline.

Oh, and while we're on the subject :
What rules do you guys like to use for multiplayer games?

I usually play a free for all game with house rules on a two player range for spell effects and attacking. (Ex. My Wrath of God affects me and the two players to my right and left, but stops there.) The neatest rule is you can Misdirection the guy's spell to anyone you can target, thus extending someone's range.

F

fuzzy510

Any pile of Magic cards will do. Multiplayer is not as competitive as single-player. It's as close as you can get to a free-for-all. About the only thing that's not OK is Unglued, for obvious reasons.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

i always play my artifact deck, when i play in multiplayer, we usually just use regular rules, sometimes we'll play allies, in which case its the 2 people adjacent from you( usually are multiplayer games have 6 people in them,when we play allies anyway)

M

Mr_Pestilence

It depends on the crowd I'm playing with. If it's a bunch of newbies, I play with a low-power, creature-based deck.

For advanced crowds, I bring out the heavy artillery - Dual Lands, Power 9, and lots of older, powerful cards. But even this deck isn't a cut-throat, player-killing machine, just a collection of great cards that like to get out and show their stuff now and then. I don't concentrate on winning, just keeping myself alive and exerting control when necessary. I'll come to the aid of someone whose being targeted unfairly, and help finish off somebody who becomes annoying. When it's down to 2-3 players, I go ahead and end the game as soon as I can, so we can get on to another game.

And I disagree about Unglued cards - multiplayer is the perfect environment for them!

A

arhar

The best format is to play 4 copies of every card, no less than 60 cards, all sets (Portal and Unglued included) are legal, and follow the common sense rules: keep the decks fun.

E

Elrond

We usually play in large chaos games, but every once in a while we'll play games where you only affect the people on either side, Emperor magic, or a couple of other fun variants, we especially like the new Demon Dice format that was done in one of the newest Inquests.

On the deck side it's 60 card minimum, 4 of a kind max, with anything goes except Unglued and anything that pisses off more than half of the people there, so it's pretty flexible.

E

ErinPuff

We generally use the same decks we use for duels.. 60+ cards, no more than four of a card.. exception is my pile-o-cheese Subversion deck.. I've never used it in a duel. They don't hate me for it because it has yet to actually work.. ;) One guy has an insane lifegain deck that's annoying in a duel, but much worse in multiplayer.. I saw him get up past 100 when the other four players were beating him down every turn.. :eek: We usually don't play with Unglued or Portal unless we're feeling particularly casual.. ;) We don't allow those championship deck cards (except in opaque sleeves, if we're feeling nice) because the backs are different.

G

Gerode

Our group can play any 60+/4 deck, but nobody has any non-Type 1 cards, like Power 9.

Our group also has a limit on one Unglued Card per deck. That happened after a friend had 3 Volrath's Motion Sensors on him...

H

Hetemti

Our group usually runs:
60 card min.
Type 1 Restricted/Banned lists.
"Educational" error correction. (I.E., An attempt to Snap a Voice of All-Blue results in the spell being countered, rather than being withdrawn (Stuipid 6th edition crap) and "rewinded". After a few f'ups, you learn and become better...kinda like the Wakefield die.)
Passing Paris Mulligan. (If you are first, but choose to mulligan, you pass the first turn to the next guy. This is just to save the time of shuffling. Handy when time is of the essence.)
Anyone who has a R/W deck must be destroyed first. (Guess who?)

C

Cateran Emperor

We usually play Type I restricted with some of our own modifications. IF something is an "Instant Winner!", meaning there is no possible way to deal with it, then we ban it from our games,

I enjoy playing insane control Black. Subversion + Slaughter is a solid way to get everyone afraid of you. Then let's go Liveing Death!

Z

Zadok001

Your pole is misleading. It asks what decks _I_ play in multiplayer. :) In general, my group plays whatever they please, be it a random stack, type 1 nonsense, Extended combs, or Type 2 control. Whatever. On the other hand, _I_ (and several other members of my group) restrict myself to a DCI format. Preferably Extended so I can play with my Greater Goods, but whatever...

Prepare for milling...

C

Captain Caveman

Our MP games change from time to time but here are our general guidelines.

1. Attack whom ever you want.(total choas)

2. All decks must be atleast 60 cards(That rules was changed recently. We are trying 120 cards per deck. The last
time I played with them all but one of the decks were about 150 cards. It seems like a fun idea but a single game can
take a long time. For me the jury is still out on this one.)

3. We follow a B&R list similiar to Type One. Its kind of open ended. Play what you want but use some common sense.

4. Any type of Global effect; affect all the players. For example, Wrath of God buries everyone's creatures.

5. "Infinite" combo's are discouraged. You can play combo's but if you play some stupid infinite poop you probably
won't get very far during the next several games.

6. Unglued & Portal aren't allowed. Any Portal reprint is ok though.

7. The mulligan rule. This one is kind of bazaar. Anyone can take a mulligan if they don't have two lands. If
someone does than everyone can also mulligan. No mater how many times this happens you still draw seven cards.

8. Who goes first: Each player cuts into his or her deck and reveals the card. The player with the highest cc spell
goes first. If there is a tie those players do it again. The turn then proceeds in a clockwise direction.

9. No more than four copies of a card are allowed.

That's about it.

Caveman

H

Hetemti

[ruleslawyer]
About No. 9, is that including basic lands?
[/ruleslawyer]

:p

D

Dead

The only rule we run with is the rule of 4. Bascially what keeps the decks in check is a mixture of financial resources and that we play more big chaos games than anything else. That's not to say channelball decks don't exist, just they run forks :) Really, if anyone does anything too spectacular in any one game they'll be the oe with a target on their head for the next few games. Combos, and a couple of players in general, are unpopular- if you see a megrim on the board, attack in that direction. If you have a choice of attacking steve or anyone else, attack steve :) .
We've managed without problems so far for a coupla years, but bear in mind none of us owns a dual land, let alone the power 9...
We use the new mulligan rules, mainly because the old "all land, mulligan to 7" rules are too abuseable in Sam's 59 land, 1 Mirror Mirror deck, and it gets us used to building decks with strong enough mana bases to survive the occasional tournaments we enter...

Killer Joe

but last night I got the chance to do some multiplayer action :)!
Though I didn't use my old signature deck "Erratic Spikes" (which is my favorite for Multiplayer games), I did manage to do well with. get this, Three-Deuce! Ya know, there's just something about Treetop Village that my opponents can't get enough of ;).
Rules!? Usualy some kind of tourney legal deck, I've been diggin' Mary Van Tines version of "Effects Deck".

K

krichaiushii

Me and mine prefer 60 card minimum, no more than 4 of a kind, Unglued, Portal, and Three Kingdoms allowed (very few of these so it is really a moot point) for decks, and primarily chaos games, though team games sometimes happen.

Global effects affect everyone, and we mulligan based on older rules -- if anyone has no land, or all land, they can show the hand and reshuffle, which in turn allows everyone else the option of reshuffling, for another round of considering mulligans. No more than one declared mulligan per player, per game, though. Nonmana-producing lands count as lands, which hurts on occasion.

Some of the most amusing decks come from my brother, who picks two colors, then builds a deck out of the first ten different creatures and first ten different spells of each color, synergy or not. Add an artifact or two (random, of course), and serve. The only drawback is that once you have about 30+ decks of this nature, you quickly forget what is in them, resulting in such plays as Demonically Consulting for a nonexistant Disenchant... always check your deck.

That's all.

M

Mikeymike

We play minimum 60 card decks (I have a few between 63-70) w/ no more than four of a card. We also play Type 1 restrictions w/ no bannings. We can play any card we want except Portal although no one plays Unglued for some reason.

Depends on how many people we play in our group but
3 people: Chaos, Can't attack last person attacked
4 people: 2 Headed Giant (everyone's favorite), Opposing forces (you and your teammate sit diagonally from one another and play duels until one person gets whacked)
5 people: Secret Kill, Allies & Enemies, 2 Headed Giant with Switzerland, Chaos
6 people: Emperor's, 3 Headed Giant, Chaos

You can Mulligan on 0,1, or 7 lands and anyone can take your Mulligan. It sounds like a lot and it might take a little longer to start the game, but this way eveyone gets to start off on the right foot. Its no fun winning when your opponent has 1 land on turn 5.