Multiplayer *Jund* deck

Killer Joe

First, the basics:

Bloodbraid Elf, solid 3/2 haste creature with cascade. Cascade allows me to play many of the instant or sorcery spells in the deck to blast away an opponent and their hand or a creature.

Putrid Leech, eh, the black-green cost makes it tough to drop on turn two and the pump cost (2 life) makes this creature on the "maybe better left out" list.

Sprouting Thrinax, 3/3 and when it hits the graveyard I get 3 1/1's to replace it. That's good especially if i have Garruk out and can do the overrun ability.

Lightning Bolt,...you're hired, NEXT!?

Blightning, 3 damage to a player and then they have to discard 2 cards. Not really good for multiplayer but it's good to use against "The Player" in the group, you know Timmy Power Gamer? ;)

Terminate,...go sit next to that Bolt guy cause you're hired, too!

Bituminous Blast, this cards just clears the path for me to attack and with cascade I may be able to clear out more creatures.

Jund Charm, okay, not a staple in the deck but if I'm going to call it a *Jund* deck then, Gosh darn it, I'm gonna use four of them in the deck to justify calling it that! :p

Borderland Ranger, I was gonna go with Sakura-Tribe Elder (this deck is for the MML and there is no format) but I really like the Grizzly Bear blocker thing.

Pyroclasm, again, not a staple, in fact, it's a sideboard staple. We have lots of elves and zombies and slivers in our group.

Here's where I vary; I really like Lightning Reaver, this guy flies with haste and is a 3/3 and has the ability that let's you put charge counters on it everytime it deals damage to a player and there's ALWAYS at least one player not ready for flyers. At the end of my turn the Reaver deals damage to EVERYONE (but me) for each charge counter on it. Sa-Weet!

The old stand-by; Spiritmonger. He just rocks!

Killer Joe

JUND
Revised Sunday December 13, 2009

Creatures
2 Dragon Broodmother
2 Lightning Reaver
4 Bloodbraid Elf
4 Sprouting Thrinax
4 Oran-Rief Recluse (I took out the Rhox Brute)
4 Borderland Ranger

Planeswalkers
1 Chandra Nalaar
1 Liliana Vess
1 Garruk Wildspeaker

Spells
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Terminate
4 Syphon Souls
3 Hull Breach (I took out Blightning)
3 Pyroclasm
3 Bituminous Blast
3 Jund Charm

Land
6 Forest
9 Mountain
4 Swamp
1 Stomping Ground
1 Shadowblood Ridge
1 Blood Crypt
1 Pillar of the Parnus
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Savage Lands
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Overgrown Tomb

Here's the list I went with yesterday; the changes I made this morning due to unforeseen problems like pesky little 1/1 flyers and whatinthehell was I thinking about having no removal for artifacts and enchantments!?

There were 12 players and I won in about 3.5 hours. Having Garuuk in amazing!!! I may take out Nalaar for another Garuuk or take out Liliana vess. Not sure yet.

The pyroclasms and the Jund Charms really helped clearing the board when I was in a creatureless situation (whew!).

My mana is all screwed up and I'm not sure how to fix it, yet. In our game there is NO format so I can use anything but I don't have DUAL lands that would help.

T

train

If you really want to fix mana I would look at two things - Krosan Tuskers - or Sprouting vines...

You need 3 mana to utilize each effectively - but when not used for late game beef - the tusker cycles, but fetches a land of your choice to your hand first... thus thinning your deck and gaining card advantage at the same time...

As for sprouting vines - this is perfect as an instant against a deck that has a lot of cheap cc spells... if they play just one spell - you get 2 lands, if they play 2 spells - you get 3... talk about card advantage...

Killer Joe

Krosan Tuskers, nice. Iactually use those alot in other decks but it never crossed my mind in this one. Sprouting vines? Whoa, I have NOT even seen one of those in years!!!!

As for the Fellwar Stone there are just too many "Disnchent" trigger happy casual player randomness in the game (as you know).

Yeah, yeah, I'm in no rush for the comp. Just don't stop by unannounced....;)

T

train

I guess the remaining question would then be whether you have Sprouting vines or not... I used them in an elf deck before - not for the mana acceleration - but also the deck thinning... when you empty your hand early - you might as well pulll land out of the deck so you draw useful cards...

Let me look at the rest of the deck... will post back...

T

train

You don't have tons of black - but you could also try the "Tainted lands" with some "Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth" as well... pack the deck with enough Swamps to fill the Tainted requirement and your mana problems seem to vanish away... here's what I would run...

JUND de Train

Creatures
1 Dragon Broodmother - will come, be tutored, or hulked in due time.
2 Lightning Reaver - ditto...
3 Taurean Mauler - mucho fatty (and a bit of a target) in the multi-player games...
4 Abyssal Gatekeeper - kind of keeps people at bay...
3 Thornweald Archer - ditto
4 Krosan Tusker - land and card advantage that basically isn't countered...
1 Shard Phoenix - for recurring ground control... can be used with gatekeepers to wipe weenies and fatties
1 Wren's Run Packmaster - why not build a deathtouch army...
1 Troll Ascetic - non-target-able, regenerating...
2 Protean Hulk - if these hit the table, big props...

Planeswalkers
1 Chandra Nalaar
1 Liliana Vess
1 Garruk Wildspeaker

Spells
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Terminate
2 Syphon Souls
1 Naturalize - easier on the mana than hull breach (and probably not often you used both abilities of the breach)
2 Steam Blast - if you were gonna pyroclasm - might as well hit players too...
3 Jund Charm
3 Gaea's Blessing - sorry - but these are a must in train's decks... but to cycle cards and draw... all for 2 mana... can even be used early game, just to draw...
1 Sudden Spoiling - nothing like an instant-mass-humble when those pumped up weenies or fatties attack..
1 Vampiric Tutor - if the cycling and blessings and hulks don't get it, this will...

Enchantment:
1 Pernicious Deed - gotta have some sort of non-critter mass permanent control/deterrent...

Land
5 Forest
5 Mountain
8 Swamp
2 Tainted Wood (B/G) (need a swamp - but at least colorless, then dual)
2 Tainted Peak (G/R) (need a swamp - but at least colorless, then dual)
1 Stomping Ground (G/R)
1 Blood Crypt (B/R)
1 Overgrown Tomb (B/G)
1 Savage Lands (B/G/R)
1 Urborg, tomb of Yawgmoth (All become Swamps - even this one.)
1 Volrath's Stronghold (why not recycle the tuskers to really generate advantage...)

T

train

I try... (blushes...)

Hopefully it runs well in testing - and since I did it all text based - I didn't get to shuffle or test... though I could build most of it as well... maybe it'll be another version of my previous Toolbox deck...

:cool:...

Killer Joe

Tauren Mauler is awesome in multiplayer. This past Saturday we had 12 players,...imagine how big it would've gotten AND someone played a Crystalline Sliver, Yipee!!!!! I own one copy so I'll have to pick up some more, they list for like 3 bucks I think.

Abyssal Gatekeeper is mucho good, too. The only problem I see is that I, too, have to sac a creature, but if I have tokens out no problem. It's also good for the early game. I have like 12 copies of them but NEVER used them before.

Thornweald Archer....what the hell do you DO all day, train? I have NEVER EVER seen this card before but alas, I have 8 copies of them. OMG! They go well with the Wren's Run Packmaster but with only three copies of the deathtouch/reach Archer in the deck I better hope I get the Wren in a hurry so I can Champion out the Thornweald. I have 2 copies of Wren and both are the foil pre-release cards.

I didn't have any copies of the Protean Hulk but at a cost of $3 I'm sure I can get em pretty quick.

Sudden Spoiling is the only other card I'd need to get but I found all the other stuff, so I put them in just not sure what to take out yet.

Thanks again for your help.

T

train

Cool...

In my pre-build I had other changelings in there as well because they pick up benefits from merfolk, zombies, rats, bats, birds, elves, etc. that people play...

The packmaster doesn't have to be early and with the sifting through your deck that I imagine you doing - you should be able to get things rolling at a pace that's ready for you...

But - by take things out - do you mean thin it down to 60 cards?... I kind of built this using the number of cards you already had in place...

I can work on slimming to a 60-card deck if that's what you're looking for...

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
I'd rather run syphon mind over syphon soul, and I wouldn't take out the hull breaches. Hull breach means card advantage! The deck seems horribly low on drawing cards anyway. I say the deck needs more sylvan libaries and abundances. And Loxodon warhammers. Trampling lifelink big bastards is a viable multiplayer strategy. I don't see why you need all that land if you run four Krosan tuskers. 24 lands should be enough.

On the subject of Krosan tuskers, why not build a trampling lifelink big beast deck? There's a lot of goodness in a beast deck. You have a Spiritmonger and you have Taurean mauler. Copperhoof Vorrac is a real beast in multiplayer (and pretty cheap to pick up), and then there's Ravenous Baloth (although not so good with the recent rule change). But the real reason to play beasts is Contested Cliffs. You you want to win through the attack phase, this card is amazing to clear blockers. And with Garruk you can use it twice. Imagine that with an elephant hammer on a Spiritmonger.

Creatures
1 Spiritmonger
4 Copperhoof vorrac
4 Krosan tusker
4 Taurean mauler
4 Wall of roots
1 Ravenous baloth
1 Chameleon collossus
4 Drumhunter

Spells
1 Pernicious deed (or similar sweeper like Disc)
2Pyroclasm
4 Putrefy
3 Loxodon warhammer

1 Garruk
1 Liliana
1 Chandra

Lands
4 Contested cliffs
20 More land

If you want more removal, there's Molder slug and Indrik stomphowler. If you replace the removal with something like Shriekmaw, go all out and just play Heartwood storyteller. Or go more with a bigger beasts theme with Spearbreaker behemoth and Paleoloth.