Multiplayer / Casual Deck Forum

Would a Multiplayer / Casual Deck section be a good idea?

• Yes, I'd use a multiplayer/casual forum all the time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, get the casual players away from my Type2 deck

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Yes, to thin out the 'Casual Decks/Variants/Etc' forums

• No, it will split the players up

• No, no one would use it

• No, b/c I'm too lazy to check out another forum all the time

• Total voters
M

Mikeymike

I ran this by Zadok awhile ago and he told me to ask you guys and gals what your opinion of this idea is: and of course I completely forgot...duh

I'm posting the guts of my original PM to Zadok, its easier than re-typing my arguments.
There is a fairly defined split in the CPA between the tourney players and the casual players (where I fall about 80% of the time). I feel each group would strongly benefit by having individual. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to build stronger boundaries between these 2 groups and I definitely respect the opinions of the tourney players (no one is ever rude, and that is a rarity of Magic message boards), but our goals as players are different.

When I browse through the forum, the topics that really grab my attention are the 'Krazy Kobold'-esque titles, not 'Nether Go', which I'd probably pass over. However, by doing so I might miss someone's wacky Anvil of Bogardan/Nether Spirit/Megrim deck. Also, when I post a weird deck I'm looking for suggestions (I do usually get them, though). However, tourney deck discussions are more popular, so my topic will get pushed further and further down the tree, lessening the chance for a reply. As a casual deck builder, I'm usually inspired more by the replies of those who think like me, and build on ideas similar to mine.

The exact thing can be said for the tourney players. If I was looking to build a deck for an upcoming tournament, the 'Varchild's War-Riders would rock in here!' comment wouldn't help me build a winning deck.

I do see weaknesses in my plan, it could plausibly split off the two types of groups. As a community, that would not be ideal. However, the positives outweigh the potential negatives in this situation. Give the casual players a real stomping grounds to play with their ideas.
My opinion still holds true, but instead of a 'Casual' deck section maybe a 'Multiplayer' section would be a better fit. There could be:
Deck submissions of course
Play variant discussions (which have become popular recently)
Casual Card think tanks Ala 'Break Mana-cache'

The more I think about it, the less I do think it would cause a split in the community. Think of all the members who make daily Message Board contributions to the CPA, how many of us limit ourselves to 1 forum?

Please vote and of course comment on anything that I might have missed.

D

Duel

Nu-uh
I check both, and I don't want Gizmo not to look at my deck because it's called "Frog in a Blender" It could be good. Don't split up the forums. That can only cause more division between members, there's enough debate over casual vs pro as is.....

T

terzarima

"Why don't you add some good cards... like absorb?"

"I don't have any..."

"Jeez...."

What's the point of having a casual players forum for decks and such? This is pretty much what'll happen, I mean, alll of us here are good at telling you what are good cards (with the exception of Ransac, who needs medical attention) and most of use can critique a deck... ...even if we don't have the cards (which I feel I am the only one who doesn't... stupid Zadok and his box buying ways...) we can still make the decks... so until next time...

Hoipa (Copyrighted by Salicious Crumb...)

C

Cateran Emperor

While I see the logic behind it, I honestly don't feel a need for two seperate deck forums. I tend to at least read every thread in the deckbuilding forum when I show up, and as such I can realize right away if it's too serious to hold my interest.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it's necessary.

The Deck forum has slowed WAY down. Except for the weekend, when there's a burst of ideas, during the week I can see on the average maybe five replies or new posts. It shouldn't be too hard to keep ANY kind of deck on the forefront.

I wouldn't go as far as saying multiplayer vraiants have gotten "popular". CE has raised a couple recently but I wouldn't say that it's getting 10 replies a day.

Casual Card discussions can easily go in Single Card Strategies, which is why it's there in the first place; to talk about ANY card and it's potential, whether in casual or tourney play.

I would suggest posting "Casual" in the subject line, like how CE posts "Variant" in his. Then it might be easier to find a casual deck idea but I don't think creating a new forum is necessary.

D

DÛke

...don't need it.

One general deck forum is enough...

...it's like having an Off-Topic forum, a Movie forum, a Food for Thoughts forum...and so on...NOPE!

G

Gerode

I don't think a new forum is necessary. However, maybe we should adopt some sort of way to easily distinguish between a casual and tournament deck posting. I am starting to put "MP" in front of my decks, meaning "Multiplayer", and I have seen that in a few other threads. Before then I used to put "Casual" in the thread name, which I see quite a bit. I have nothing to contribute to tournament decks, but I like helping to improve some multiplayer decks (as long as they are somewhat explained).

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I'm capable of telling good cards from bad. But, I do need medical attention.

So, ademis, I agree and disagree with you on that statement.

Ransac, cpa trash man

F

fuzzy510

I think we're fine as we are. I don't think we need another forum so similar to what we already have.

M

Mundungu

Even though I voted "yes" I think it is not necessary as of now, due to the low volume of posts in the Deck section.

Iwould keep it as an option for later.

In the meanwhile I think it is easier to just indicate in the subject or at the beginning of the thread the type and format of the deck. e.g. t2 competitive, extended multi etc etc...

F

fuzzy510

Why try and split a forum that's already small. Vetoed. NEXT......:D :D :D :D :D

M

Mikeymike

I'd like to thank those who voted and replied, especially those who give explanations why its not a good idea. I wish I heard from more of the people who voted 'yes' though, I'm gettin hammered here :D. Oh well, time to roll up my sleeves and fight this one myself.

I don't agree with the argument that the deck forum is small and relatively unpopular. It is by far the largest of the forums with over 1300 threads, that's even more than the general. And it has the 2nd most posts. If anyone wants to check out what those numbers have been in the last 2-3 months go right ahead. I bet the positioning would be around the same.

Here's the big thing. Those who don't post on MP and 'casual' (I use that word lightly, it means whatever the hell you want it to) decks are going to continue NOT TO post if those decks were in a different forum. Ok I can deal with that. 'Any format' players (MP, casual, everything) are usually the people posting to both tourney and MP decks and probably 95% WILL continue to post on both if they were in different forums.

So why should MP decks get buried in the shuffle of tourney decks time and time again? They are 2 totally different types of games and the distinction can be easily seen.

I'm not asking for a new kidney, I'm being a little greedy and asking for something for myself and others who play MP. How many people on a regular basis use the Single card forum? Not a ton, but a good number. Its a dynamic and unique part of these boards and one of those little things that gives the CPA a great rep and its own identity. And a lot of people would be pissed if its was gone (The hypocrite that I am I forgot it was even there after a long hiatus on the boards, I will change that though).

There aren't enough Multiplayers for it to split up the community. Those who want to take advantage of it will. Those it doesn't interest won't, simple as that. I don't see how its going to step on people's toes at all. And necessity shouldn't be an issue, you could make that arguement about anything on these boards. Why do we need a Storyline forum? We don't but the fact that its there is a definite positive.

Duke, this wouldn't be the same as a 'Movies' forum, this actually deals with Magic and would interest a good % of our community. That stuff is in the 'off-topic' for a reason.

Gerode, great idea. I've started doing so until (if ever) this sucker gets off the ground.

On a side note: I didn't want this to come off as another casual vs. pro thing. That definitely wasn't my intention and if anyone is reading it as such, I apologize. I sent that original PM to Zadok before I realized that it was such a contraversial topic here. My real goal is simple to get something for the strict Multiplayers here.

Done ranting, thanks for bearing with me.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Those are all good points and I would check the forum if it was made. Basically I don't care either but since you asked I gave my opinion on why it's not really necessary.

Just as a side note: the total number of posts in the forum of 1300 is due to activity from the very beginning of the site, when it WAS busier. I don't know how to check the numbers from the last 2-3 months but I will reiterate that from my every day observations, not too many posts have gone in. Over the weekend it tends to pick up slightly, but during the week it's been slow.

M

Mikeymike

That we did split into 2 forums.

Weird huh? I guess it resides in the pits of my deepest and darkest desires. Kind of pathetic when you think about it :D.