Multi-Player needs help

D

Daenen

My friends and I get together for the local Thurdsday Standard tournament (Type 2), and most of us arive there pretty early. Some of us have decided to play multi-player. The problem is, I need help building a deck. Here are the rules on building the deck:

1) Any Card, no bannings or restrictions.
2) No more than 2 of any card, save basic lands.
3) No Combo decks.

I was thinking along the lines of a counter-burn deck, but I really don't know. If any of you have suggestions, please help me.

Thank you for your time.

A

Apollo

Well, I don't think Counter-Burn or Counter-anything is very good in multiplayer because the goal is to counter and destroy all of your opponent's threats. However, in multi, with, say, 5 players, there are 5 times the threats to deal with, and you'll never survive. Plus, in my experience, everyone always goes after the guys with the counters. If you really want to use counter-burn, you'd have to use Disks and other mass-destruction to hang in there.

Apollo

M

Multani

Tag Guard

Daenen, if you need a multi deck and you want to use
red-blue, here's a few suggestions.
Use high power, but mana-efficient direct damage. Sonic Burst, Seal of Fire, Flame Rift, and Bolts are good choices.
Add a few creatures for finishing blows.
MAKE SURE YOUR BURN GETS THROUGH!
Counter all threats to your burn. Annul helps with enchantments.
MAKE SURE YOUR CREATURES SURVIVE!
In multi, this is especially inportant, as you have to spread your burn. Also makeing a creature hard to block is essential. Use counters like Intervene and enchantments like Diplomatic Immunity to protect your creatures.

Hope that helps. :)

L

linsivvi

TAG GUARD

Too bad it says no combo's, I have a really good one,
Play Parralax Wave, Remove 5 of your creatures from the game
Play Jukalups(destroy all artifacts, creatures, lands)
Try to remove that last counter from parralax wave, it dies and your 5 creatures come back to play. You have 5 creatures and opponent has nothing, not even land. You wold deal them at least 5 damage a turn unitll they got out another creature

F

FoundationOfRancor

Thats not really a combo, just a beating, and you would need 2 turns to pull it off (who would have enough mana in 1 turn?) Which means you would have pretty much no cretures for a turn. In mulitplayer, at least 2 players will attack you. Espicially, since they would know your doing somethin big next turn.

A

Apollo

Actually, Rancor, if you removed your creatures at the end of the turn right before yours, you won't leave yourself defenseless. However, I agree, it isn't really a combo, just a beating. There are a thousand things that work well, just like that. Plus, it's of no use to Daenen.

Apollo

F

FoundationOfRancor

Oh good call apollo, I didnt think of using it like that.

D

Daenen

I was thinking along the lines of this:

2 Wildfire
2 Covetous Dragon
2 Crater Hellion
2 Masticore
2 Earthquake
2 Faultline

Do you see where I'm going in this? Maybe add some mana acceleration or something.
You see, in our multi-player games, it isn't about who is the last man standing, it's about who kills the most before he is killed. If I wanted to build a deck that killed everyone at the same time, I would build a black deck with drudge skeletons and a bunch of other crap, and just sit back until I could Pestilince and kill everyone at the same time.

C

Captain Caveman

What about another color besides red? I used to play this
deck quite abit. Its one of my personnal favorite Multi-
player decks. Funny thing is, its more or less already set
up like you want. Now I don't get to play it much but its
updated and ready to go. Most of the cards are easy to get.

*Pearl Quest
2 Abu Ju`far
2 Serra Angel
2 Intrepid Hero
2 Knight of Dawn
2 Longbow Archer
2 Soltari Emissary
2 Order of the White Shield
1 Soltari Monk
1 Soltari Priest
1 Blinding Angel
1 Paladin en-Vec
1 Rashida Scalebane
1 Radiant, Archangel

2 Disenchant
2 Wrath of GOD
2 Glorius Anthem
1 Exile
1 Swords
1 Balance
1 Reprisal
1 Worship
1 Cataclysm
1 Crackdown
1 Field of Souls
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Seal of Cleansing

1 Soul Net
1 Zuran Orb
1 Feldon's Cane

20 Plains
2 Ice Floe
******************61 total

Caveman

D

Dune Echo

TAG GUARD

Actually, FoR, isn't Parallax Wave errata'd not to be able to pull this off?

And Daenen, you do realize the any deck you play will be outlawed by this group don't you? I mean, without the combo of lands and spells, you won't even have a deck! :D I hope they mean just cheesy combos, because essentially, combos are a major part of Magic. Think of Orcish Lumberjacks for example. It turns any forest into a Black Lotus. How much more combo can you get, yet you can't get away from it as Orcish Lumberjack is used in most beatdown decks that use Red and Green.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Tag Guard

Actually, Dune, Orcish Lumberjack just turns the forest into a combination of red and green mana. That's why you see it in red and green because it's pretty much useless in other color decks (unless they're looking for colorless mana). But it doesn't give you white, blue, or black mana automatically.

ORCISH LUMBERJACK
R
Creature - Orc
1/1
T, Sacrifice a forest: Add three mana in any combination of red and/or green mana to your mana pool.

I

Istanbul

I've found that a large part of staying alive in multi-player games is making sure that it's against their best interests to kill you.

Make friends, influence people, play Awakening!
"Are you suuuuuuure you wanna kill me?"

D

Daenen

Well, the thing is this. I want a deck that they will leave me alone for a few rounds. Whenever I play my Wildfire deck, guess who becomes the number one target?
You guessed it. Thanks for you help guys.

A

arhar

If you REALLY want to be the person who no one wants to attack, build black and white Walls deck with Gravepact.
=)

2 Wall of Shadows
2 Wall of Souls
2 Wall of Essence
2 Cemetary Gate
2 Wall of Light
2 Wall of Resistance
2 Wall of Spears
2 Wall of Swords - just out of my head

Oh, and Rolling Stones, of course, for the kill =)

I

immortal grave walker

Since multi player is fun, and you still want to win i've always liked building a deck around all the shape shifters out of stronghold. i'de play blue and white wih a bunch of fat cop's,conters,and a few buybacks. dont know if thats what you want to play. I just know the shapeshifters ae fun.