Multi-player games

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
As a "casual" player, with a group of anywhere from 6 to 16 players, we do a lot of multi-player games. I would like a list (with instructions) of the multi-player games everyone has played that they found to be fun and challenging.

I have played chaos/freeforalll, five-star, 2 and 3 player teams and Emperor.
What else is out there?

How about deck-building variants like single color or commons only or that alphabet one. Any others?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Once, two friends who didn't have decks with them spontaneously split my 150 card highlander deck into thirds and played a game with them. I eventually won because my remaining only remaining opponent decked himself by trying to play Mangara's Tome twice and having it hit immediately by a removal spell each time. It was a bizarre game but it was very fun.

Another variant I haven't done in a while which can lead to some amusing plays is multiplayer two-headed giant. It only works with an even number of players, of course.

I'll try to think of some others.

Two that never worked out for me very well were grand melee and emperor. I like the idea of grand melee but most of the other players seemed to hate it for whatever reason. Emperor seems to have consistently been somewhat popular, but every emperor game I've been in has come down to one team dominating the other because they have a better emperor...

L

Limited

We play a lot of 5player collapse; It's a melee (freeforall) game until one player is killed. Then, player team up with the player across the table. This usually means that players have to plan who to take out to influence the teams; and the game won't last as long so the first to die doesn't have to wait long :)

L

Limited

I used to play a lot of rainbow magic; five players with mono-color decks (no more than three artifacts allowed) seated like the magicsymbol. You win if both you opposite colors are dead.
And colorhosers are mandatory. Build your blue deck so it can survive cards like Boil and Choke.

J

jorael

This site has a LOT of magic variants. Not everything is interesting, but there's enough worth trying.

Have you ever tried playing "around the clock"? Every player can only attack the opponent on his left hand. Every opponent can be targeted and global spells effect everyone. Games are a bit quicker that way.

In our playgroup we have a "player-kill reward". If you kill a player, you gain 5 life. We use this in every format, except 5 player collapse.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
jorael said:
In our playgroup we have a "player-kill reward". If you kill a player, you gain 5 life. We use this in every format, except 5 player collapse.

That's a good idea.
Thanks everyone for you ideas.
:)

G

Gizmo

I definately liked the format where points were alloted for where you finished and how many players you knocked out.