Multi-Player deck: Mono-Black

C

Captain Caveman

Wednesday night I'll probably be playing a couple Multi-player games so I thought I'd post my latest MP deck and
ask for some suggestions. Like before, are decks have to be atleast 80 cards.

My new deck is Mono-Black. I've play-tested it a few times and it seems to work pretty well. One idea is to use the
Plaguelord, Attrition and Infernal Tribute to sack my Ghoul's and Shadows while Gravepact is in play. I must say,
I think Infernal Tribute is "awesome" in MP. Every Black based MP deck that I have runs atleast one now. I love the
card. 6th Edition combat rules made it even better.

Anyway, here's my deck.

Plaguelord/Stalker
4 Urborg Stalker
4 Nether Shadow
4 Ashen Ghoul
4 Phyrexian Plaguelord
4 Wall of Souls
3 Knight of Stromgald
1 Avatar of Woe
1 Ascendent Evincar
1 Carrion Beetles
1 Greel, Mind Raker

2 Gravepact
2 Infernal Tribute
1 Ashen Powder
3 Annihilate
4 Dark Ritual
1 Forced March
1 Nivenyrral's Disk
4 Corrupt
1 Corpse Dance
1 Attrition
1 Demonic Tutor

26 Swamp
3 Wasteland
2 Spawning Pool
1 Vorath's Stronghold

A

arhar

Very good deck! Some suggestions:

Death Pit Offering
Volrath the Fallen
Deadhead

C

Captain Caveman

This may sound silly but what is Deadhead? I can't recall any card with that name. I have no idea what your refering
to.

Thanks,
Caveman

A

arhar

Deadhead 3B
Creature - Summon Zombie
3/3

Put Deadhead into play. Use this ability only if any opponent loses contact with his or her hand of cards and only if Deadhead is in your graveyard.

"I'm back from the Dead," the zombie moaned. "And they were far out, man."

G

Griffith_se

You probably haven't heard of it because it's from Unglued.

M

mpgsheep

Unglued has to be one of my favourite sets. So so much fun in multiplayer!Ow, Common Courtesy, Ricochet - games are so much better with Unglued!

Check out www.deadnet.org.uk for Unglued 2!(our version)

C

Captain Caveman

Re: Arhar

Now I know why I couldn't figure out what card you were talking about. Thanks for those suggestion, I'll give`em a try.

Re: Unglued

I played in a very casual tournament once(local shop)and we could us Unglued. It was a lot of fun. My deck used Mine,
Mine, Mine and Cad Bloom to play a Big Fury Monster.

Ya, 99/99 rulz!

Caveman

R

rakso

How about certain other slower but effective black cards like No Mercy and Fevered Convulsions?

K

krichaiushii

MP games generally have at least 1 life-gaining player. Why not Forsaken Wastes to put an end to that player, as well as to keep the game(s) to a reasonable amount of time.

C

Captain Caveman

Forsaken Waste is a great idea. I'm going to put one of those in for sure.

I've tryed Fevered Convulsions and I don't like it as well as the set-up I'm currently using. Its kind of expensive
even for MP. I've played with it a few times before and ended up not liking the card at all. I thought for sure it
was a really good card, for MP, but to me its junk.

No Mercy is a good MP card but what the heck would I remove to make room for it?

K

krichaiushii

Why not remove Greel, Mind Raker and/or Annihilate(s) for a No Mercy or two?

Greel's spellshaping ability is really only useful in a duel, as well as costing you cards. While Annihilate removes creatures from the game, Eradicate (more often than not a powerful card against a multiplayer deck) and even Cannibalize (which in a bind can help you) remove creatures as well, and are much cheaper, though they don't let you draw a card. Given the life gaining in your deck via Corrupts, maybe Greed to draw cards?

Plague Wind works well, as well...

When not drawing Lightning Bolts and Incinerates, Thrashing Wumpus(es) work wonders in MP, especially with the Ascendant Evincar in play.

Always happy to help a fellow Stalker player...

C

Captain Caveman

Re: Greel

My environment is full of Buy-Back spells and this is the only way I can deal with them. Invulnerability, Corpse
Dance and Capsize can be real headaches.

Re: Annihilate vs Eradicate

Eradicate is probably better, because of the potential removal of 4 creatures but I like the instant speed removal
and cantrip, Annihilate gives me. I think its 50/50. I had them layed out on the table when I was building the deck
then I picked up the Invasion spoiler and said; hay, thats a card I'll never use, I'll play it instead. The other cards
for those 3 slots were: 1 Pillar Tombs of Aku, and 2 Feast or Famine. In the end I went with Annihilate. Maybe I should
go with one Pillar, one Annihilate and one Eradicate.

Re: Thrashing Wumpus, Plague Wind, Canibalize and Greed

I don't own a Greed but the Infernal Tribute functions as a semi-Greed, if I have 3 Ghouls &/or Shadows in the grave and
have the open mana. I really can't say enough about I.T. I think its overlooked by many MP players. 2, sacrifice a card
in play: draw a card, is pretty strong in combat. Plus it can fizzle those Buy-Back spells.(end of praise)

I thought about adding Plague Wind but I ran out of room. Its another one of those fun MP cards that didn't make the
cut this time. (Expensive it is, but power it is, Yoda!)

All of my Thrashing Wumpi are in my other deck.(all 2 of them)I debated whether Stalker & Wumpi in the same deck was
a good idea. The Stalkers already put a big target on my head and adding Wumpi would make me a "huge" target. In the
end I decieded the -1-1's/-4-4's from the Plaguelord and
Evincar would be less threating then adding Mr.Pestilence.
Its a tough call. By ending the game sooner we could play more but if I'm to much of a threat, they'll wipe me out.

I might try a couple Canibalize, since it doesn't care if its target it black or not. I wish it were an instant.

Thanx for the suggestions.

G

galtwish

Krovikian Horror (sac a creature to do a point of damage, comes back from the graveyard) is great, as is Attrition (enchantment that allows you to sac a creature to kill an opponent's creature). Feast or Famine (3B instant. Terror or create a 2/2 Zombie token) is an old favorite of mine as well. Ritual of the Machine (Sorcery: sac a creature to gain control of a non-Terrorable creature) or Fatal Lore (draw up to 3 cards or your bury up to three(?) opponents creatures and they can draw up to three cards) were a couple of over-hyped Alliances cards that are pretty great in multiplayer, too. I'd also consider Sanguine Guard (1BB 2/2 first strike, 1B: regenerate) for a defensive deck like this. Finally, Greed is a very strong enchantment for the deck, especially with Syphon Soul or Subversion.

Erik

C

Captain Caveman

Re; Attrition

I've got one in the deck.

Re; Krovikin Horror & Feast or Famine

I may have to reconsider these. FoF is pretty good since its never a dead card. I wish it were a Dark Banishing. The
Horror fits the deck pretty well. I skipped over it to add single copies of the Avatar, the Evincar, the beetle and
Greel, in the first build. Even with eighty card decks I run out of room very quickly.

Re: Ritual of the Machine and Fatal Lore

Forgot about those. I'll have to see if I have any.

Re; Greed

Don't own one but like said in my response to krichaiushii, I'm using Infernal Tribute to draw cards instead. Did I
mention I really like I.T. in MP?

Syphon Soul & Subversion;

I can't explain why, but everybody hates to be hit with a Syphon Soul so I never use it. Subversion is another card,
like the Stalker, that draws a lot of attention. Both of those suggestion are good but with a deck like this I
think I'm better off not using them.

Re; Sanguine Guard

Forgot about that one too. Might try to make room for a couple.

Thanx
Caveman

C

clmax

I play a multiplayer deck that has some similarities to the one you've built. Here are a couple of suggestions:

Carrionette
Card Text: 2BB: Remove Carrionette and target creature from the game. That creature's controller may pay 2 to counter this ability. Use this ability only if Carrionette is in your graveyard.

Hecatomb
Card Text: 1BB: When Hecatomb comes into play, you may sacrifice four creatures. If you don't, sacrifice Hecatomb. Tap an untapped swamp you control: Hecatomb deals 1 damage to target creature or player.

-Clmax

C

Captain Caveman

Re; Carrionette

I've been using Carrion Beetles instead of Carrionette. This way I can remove 3 cards if they become active.

Re; Hecatomb

I don't own one but if I did I'd probably try it atleast once. It might draw a lot of attention, though.

Re; your deck

Would you be willing to share your decklist? I'm always looking for other fun/good/interesting/ingeneous MP decks.

Thanx,
Caveman

C

clmax

I play with Death Pit Offering, so the Carrionettes work better than the beetles. I'll be happy to post the deck, I don't have acsee to it at the moment (shhh... I'm at work).

C

clmax

Here is the decklist for my mono-black multiplayer deck. I use Buried Alive to get the Ghouls and Shadows into the graveyard. It has a fair record in my group. As you can see, we play 60 card min, Type I banned/restricted. Group size is important, and we usually play 4-6 people. The key to this deck is Death Pit Offering. Thers is plenty of removal. I like to try to keep the seals on the baord for as long as I can, since once the deck becomes agressive, it needs all the defense it can muster. There are three was to recurse the Nekrataals. I use seals instead of Wall of Souls. I started with them, but the synergy was poor with the DPO. The Carrionette act similarly to the Wall of Souls, making opponents think twice about attacking me. Carrionette is also a good removal threat for other black creatures. The Minions are pro black, and can target black as well. The Hecatombs are icing on the cake and target everything. In any case, your opponents know that something will happen before your turn if you have untapped land... something bad. As I said, it follows a similar theme as yours.

Miracle Grow:
4 Nether Shadow
4 Ashen Ghoul
3 Carrionette
3 Nekrataal
2 Minion of Leshrac
1 Devouring Strossus
1 Disturbed Burial
3 Death Pit Offering
4 Seal of Doom
2 Hecatomb
1 Infernal Tribute
1 Haunted Crossroads
4 Buried Alive
2 Corrupt
1 Syphon Soul
20 Swamp
2 Volrath's Stronghold

Comments always welcome,
-clmax

C

Captain Caveman

Your deck looks pretty good to me. After I get tired of playing mine, I'll give yours a try. If thats ok.

Guess I'll need to find a couple Hecatomb..............

Thanks,
Caveman

C

clmax

I post a deck in the hopes that someone might give it a try and/or provide feedback about it. So by all means, give it a try!!

-clmax