Much Needed help!

T

theorgg

I've gotten a Very High-up WOTC(read MAGIC) employee to do an interview. please list all questions you'd like to ask him/her.

P.S.--It isn't Gleemaxx.

1. What do you think the biggest group of Magic players is, the Casual players, the Professionals, or the beginners?

2. what is your opinion on sites such as The Dojo(www.thedojo.com) and the CPA(www.casualplayers.org)?
what effects do you believe these have on Magic?

3. Will Unglued II EVER see print?

4. do you believe foil cards will decrese the single card market for certain cards in the longrun?

5. Is seventh edition's rulebook going to contain an "outdated rules" section for things like banding, rampage, phasing, et cetera so new people won't be scammed by "sharks" with a sandbar crockodile?

et cetera.

For this, I NEED your help. Generalities and specifics can be asked about, but try to keep it at least a bit diplomatic. no When will you kill pokemon? type questions.

the seccess of the artical depends on you, the CPA.
Donne lemme down!

M

Multani

Tag Guard (Take the Tag Guard part out when presenting this to him/her.)

1. Will the opinions of casual players be more evident in the newer cards?

2. Will banned cards make a comeback in 7th?

3. Will there every be more efficent burn like Lightning Bolt?

4. What is WOTC's position on dominating decks like Replenish and Bargain?

5. Tough Question. If Wizards had to choose when making a new set which group to satisfy the most, which group would they choose? Casuals or Pros?

6. Another Tough Question. In the eyes of WOTC, which group of people are more important, Casuals or Pros?

7. What will Invasion be like?

8. Will planeswalkers like Urza and Teferi ever be made into cards?

9. I've noticed most of the sets that are tournament-legal, feature cards that are more adapted to duels and tournaments. Will there be a set that encourages more casual play and multiplayer play?

10. Will casual players have a chance at designing a tourament-legal set while the R&D Team takes out the more outrageous and broken cards out?

Thank you for your time. :)

-John Dong a.k.a. Multani

I

Istanbul

1. How does one get hired for Magic's R&D team?

2. What old, out-of-print cards will we see returning in future sets?

3. What cards are slated for being rotated out so far in the transition from 6th Edition to 7th Edition?

4. Is WotC looking to pick up any more CCGs? If so, which ones?

5. With the new baseball and wrestling CCGs, is WotC looking for a bigger sports feel, or trying to appeal to a new audience?

6. Many Magic players resent TopDeck's focus on Pokemon. Is a new magazine dedicated to Magic in the works?

7. Between Mercadian Masques, Nemesis, Prophecy, and 6th Edition, what's your favorite card?

8. How often/deeply are web sites (mtgnews.com, CPA, The Dojo, meridianmagic.com, etc.) considered by WotC higher-ups when making decision?

9. Will we see a new Chronicles II? If not, why not?

10. Do you believe that more people collect or play Pokemon?

C

Chaos Turtle

To formulate useful directed questions, it would help very much to know who the interviewee is.

At least if they work in R&D, DCI, or the mailroom...

:)

S

Seeker of Truth

Here are a few questions I'd like to see answered:

1. During the most recent round of expansions, several cards were placed on WotC's "watch list" before the sets were even released. Given that these cards were already considered questionable in terms of overpoweredness, why were they allowed to remain in the set as is instead of being more properly balanced prior to the set's release?

2. What does WotC think about the perceived lack of sportsmanship on the Pro Tour, and what steps are being taken to ensure that unethical or unsportsmanlike actions are frowned upon at future tournaments?

3. How much attention does WotC pay to the concerns of casual players, and are websites like the CPA influential at all when deciding on Magic policy?

4. Has WotC thought at all about slowing down the release of new expansions or reducing the number of cards in those expansions in order to ensure a higher level of quality and balance in new sets?

5. In your honest opinion, do you feel that Magic is a better or a worse game than when it was first introduced? If it's better, in what ways? If it's worse, how do you see it improving in the future?

6. What was the reasoning behind the decision to increase the price of booster packs from $2.99 to $3.29?

7. Honestly, who is more important to WotC's bottom line, Magic players or Magic collectors?

8. Most players agree that Sixth Edition was a huge disappointment. What will WotC do differently in Seventh Edition to avoid a similarly lackluster response?

9. Do you feel that Magic has become any more mainstream in the past few years, and if so, to what do you attribute that greater acceptance?

10. Has WotC ever considered separating their two main CCGs into two magazines, allowing players to receive in-depth, serious coverage for either game?

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Good point, CT, but I'll try and have a go at it anyway...

1.) What influence, if any, has Hasbro had on WotC's day to day operations?

2.) Outside of Pokemon, it seems that the rest of the CCG market has slowed down quite a bit. What is WotC's read on this?

3.) Why doesn't the Wizards online store sell booster packs by the box?

4.) What really happened with NewWave?

5.) Are there any major rules changes/revisions planned for 7th edition?

6.) Many players find the current release schedule of 3 expansions a year more than they can afford. Would WotC consider slowing it down to 2 expansions a year?

That's it for now. I'll let you know if I think of anything else. Once again, Orgg, you've come through for us. Thanks. :D

T

theorgg

thank God people responded.

I'll leave this open for a few days while a good crop of about 15-25 questions present themselfs.

However, theings such as "what cards are going out of 6th edition?" will be omitted, as even Mark Rosewater-whose former job it was to leak things- cannot answer such questions.
Hint--It ain't Maro. he's higher.

:)

Z

Zadok001

Interesting situation you seem to have gotten for us here, Orgg... Let's see...

Will future sets continue the themes of player interaction found in Prophecy, or will there be a return to a more standarized card set, a'la Tempest-Destiny?

"One at a time."

T

theorgg

He's a bit higher on the ladder than Maro.

Just trust me on this.

A

Apollo

Huh. Now I'm curious.

I was wondering...

Would Wotc take resent suggestions being mailed to them by sites such as the Casual Players Alliance, or would they use the feedback to influence future decisions?

Dying of curiousity,

Apollo

Z

Zadok001

They probably wouldn't immedietely accept it. We need to get their attention first, wave a big orange flag or something... :)

"Or shoot 'em in the knees..."

Killer Joe

How does the company (WotC) forsee the future of Magic?
Is Magic on a clock, meaning that the company knows that someday (sooner or later) the "idea (money) well" will dry up? Or, to coin a phrase, "Is the writing on the wall, yet?"
Has any additional research been conducted to find out if the target age group has changed? or gender group? or does race play a factor (ie, is the target player a white middle-class male age 16-28 with some higher education achieved?).
Would WotC or Hasbro loose any profits if Magic was discontinued toady, or is it still an integral part of the company that only a divine sign from Jesus Christ or Budda or Michael Isner could halt production? (please rephrase this question for me).
Not to sound silly (or giddy), but what kind of questions do you ASK the creators/gaurdians of our beloved game? It's like; if you could ask God one question, what would it be? "I exsist, therefore, I am?", "What is the meaning of life?", or worse yet, "What is your favorite color?" (ayieeeeeeeeeeeeee!)
I would certainly like to have a question asked from a totally unique angle (similar to the ones I've half-heartedly suggested). I don't want to ask popular questions like; "Are they gonna print cool lands next time?", or "What are you doing about people who are whinning about the frequent release schedule that doesn't match up with our allowences?", or, and I shudder, "Is Wiz Co. gonna stop printing -BROKEN- cards?". Whatever.

No, no, no, no! Ask them this for me:
"Does anyone, in upper management at Wizards of the Coast, actually play Magic: The Gathering?" (just don't sound sarcastic when asking it).

Don't be offended guys, I just don't have any good questions to offer.

M

Mundungu

Friday night magic seemed to be an excellent idea, creating a "casual" tournament atmosphere for regular players. However the quality of the prices highly diminishes the interest and participation. Are good prices to be expected soon, and is FNM an initiative with future ?

Would DCI support "multiplayer" tournaments, like free for all or even emperor, two headed Giant or other, potentially with rules variations ?

Is WOTC happy with the current ground rules of the game or are there some thoughts or changing some basic feature, by which I mean changing the minimum deck size, the number of cards allowed per deck and so on...

When will gold cards be reprinted ?

Will there ever be a new color in Magic ?

M

Major Crime

1) Who does the play testing for R&D, Pro' players, casual players, or a mix of the two?

2) How long is a set play tested for, & in how many formats?

3) last serval sets have been over heavy on artifacts, any chance, four or five could be dropped to put in some gold cards for us casual players?

4) The whisper, is that Unglued 2 is dead due to low sells of Unglued, so could it be released as a smaller set. But release it this way, add one or two cards to each pack of 7th Ed, maybe only have 14 7th Ed cards per pack.

5) How many people, make up a set's design team, ie how many sit there thinking up the cards?

6) If Wizards (WoC) ever did run a player's card design contest to make a set, do you think WoC would ask for single card designs, or to cut down on the number of over powered ideas, do you think WoC would ask for a group of cards, say a dozen all of a theme?

7) if WoC did run a contest as in Q6, could the winners be part of Unglued 2 or some such?

8) why did Proph' get the Winds & the Avatars. Would it not have been more balanced to only have one or the other?

Thats all I can think of for now, I tried not to go over the ideas already up, sorry if I have.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Holy trilogy", huh? I can think of Peter Adkinson and Richard Garfield but have no idea who a third might be...

S

Seeker of Truth

Spiderman:

That's a good question. theorgg already said Rosewater is out, so who else could be that high up?

Speaking of which...

theorgg:

Any particular reason why you used eight asterisks to hide Mr. ********'s name?

You know, "Garfield" has eight letters... ;)

But seriously, you have us all captivated and breathless with anticipation, awaiting your mysterious interviewee's response.

I hope they take the time to give us serious, heart-felt answers, rather than some stock responses out of a press release.

And no disrespect to the third member of the "holy trilogy", whose name escapes me at this time...

M

Major Crime

To be correct it cannot be Garfield as he is not a Mr.
Stop that thought, he's a Dr.

T

theorgg

:D

you got that right.
and If you don't know the "holy trilogy," take a look at mr. T vs Magic. all will be revield.