MTOA - Whassat?

I

Istanbul

Anybody wanna tell me what MTOA is and how it's played? It seems sort of draft-ish - I might like to get in on it.

B

BigBlue

Well - MtoA is Magic the Online Adventure... it is a very poor mans method of running Magic online that is completely free and not real time for people who aren't always available at the same time. This game is purely for entertainment purposes - although some bragging rights are also involved...

The current incarnation is the League Booster Draft format using MVW Block (Mirage-Visions-Weatherlight). In the past I've run a Multiplayer Rochester Draft, Multiplayer Sealed Deck, and a MP constructed format.

If you want to play, I have another person waiting to play, so I could start it soon for you. I give you a Pack each of MVW and you select one card to remove from the draft (it is set aside as ante).

I then combine your 44 cards with your opponents and shuffle them. We determine who picks first (second pick get's to decide whether to play or draw) and proceed by flipping the top 4 cards. Player 1 picks 1 card, player 2 picks the next 2 and the last card goes to player 1, the next 4 player 2 picks 1st . . . you get the idea...

Then each player builds a deck with the 44 cards they drafted adding as much basic land as they want. (40 card minimum). You play a best of 3 game match with your other cards as sideboard. Once your deck is built, I'll shuffle it for you and send you back a shuffled deck which you use to play from. Obviously it isn't 100% like the game since you can cheat by knowing your next draws, but it's better than nothing... In the past I have sent draws 1 by 1, but it becomes very unmanageable so now I just send the shuffled decks.

Winner get's first choice of the 2 ante'd cards. Then you remove one card and repeat the process with your next opponent.

I figure we'll play it round robin - so depending on how many players there are it could take longer... The matches themselves probably take a couple weeks - unless one of the players isn't online very much which can delay the game considerably.

Any more questions? Let me know if your interested... Manpriest wants to play, but he needs an opponent. - oh yeah, when I'm involved in a match someone else runs the draft and shuffles for me and my opponent... :D

B

BigBlue

I sent you yours and Manpriest his... Once I get both responses as to what to take out, I'll shuffle the cards together and we'll get this draft started.

T

train

and um...

spidey buys all the winners a set of power nine cards...:eek: :p

:rolleyes:

(runs and hides in a forum where a mod can't find him...)

:rolleyes:

B

BigBlue

I emailed him... he was last here the 16th - but given it's the holidays and perhaps he's a student . . .

We'll see. If I get someone else to take the spot then I will after Monday. But I'll give him at least until then.

T

train

*train dashes across the thread still lookingfor a thread or forum in which to hide from the mods...*

I could play against isty also if needed...

*[dust...]*

T

train

I have this image in my head spidey...

BigBlue wakes up screaming in the middle of the night, he's coming out of a horrendous nightmare... and the words coming out of his mouth are our names...:D :p

B

BigBlue

unfortunately you can't play multiple opponents at a time... Because of the ante card...

And I said I'd give MP until AFTER today... Patience Istanbul. It's something I have very little of myself.

** Impatence and Blue make for a grumpy player - just ask me. **

B

BigBlue

I need a player for Istanbul - Any takers?

I think ManPriest is probably on Xmas vacation and away from the Net. I also think that rkoelsch would like to play and maybe will once the holidays are over...

Istanbul wants to start now however... So if anyone wants to take up the challenge...

The current participants are:

Train vs Spiderman (0-1)
BigBlue vs Azreal the Soulmaster
Istanbul vs Master Shake
Manpriest vs ?? (pending his opponent)

T

train

Why is it you can't play against more than one player at a time?...:confused:

B

BigBlue

Because of the Ante card - you don't know what 45 cards you'll use when you play your second match... Plus - I'd like to keep folks who've got a drafted 44 cards from playing against a random 44 if at all possible - the card pools are completely swayed...

M

Master Shake

I would like to play, but I am going to need to look over the rules a bit more. Send me the cards... Sign me up!