MTGPlay

E

Exaulted_Leader

www.mtgplay.com

This is a really elegant program, if you can get it to run (it has compatibility issues with any OS that isn't Windows XP). It even has the capability to run multiplayer games (...though there doesn't seem to be much interest of doing so in the community. x.x).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Other than multiplayer and pictures, what advantages does it have over Apprentice? I mean, it looks like it's clearly better. It also takes up WAY more diskspace...

I was thinking of downloading it. But I don't see myself using it more than I use Appr. now. The only thing that really caught my attention was that it has Unglued and stuff...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
We talked about it a bit earlier in the year here, there's a couple posts about it between the 30-60 post mark. Capt. Caveman and train have used it.

Apprentice has Unglued....

R

Rooser

Hey, don't give up on us yet, Exaulted, I just might want to give this thing a serious whirl.

*Scurries off to laboratory to try out new program*

E

Exaulted_Leader

Well, in all honesty, I can't say it's 'better' than I Apprentice in so many ways. I like it more because:

- I'm a sucker for pretty card pictures

- I LOVE multiplayer magic. It's my favorite format. ...Come to think of it, it's the only format I even play anymore. :p

- I don't even blink at 200+ meg downloads (Cable internet, 60+ gigs of HD space).

It doesn't seem to inherit Apprentice's shuffling issues, either - though most don't even really consider this a fault in Apprentice. The community is a lot friendlier, too... though they don't seem to hold any tournaments (which isn't an issue for me).

Definately not recommended for everyone (it's a NIGHTMARE to install on any OS that isn't WinXP), bit I'm having enough fun with it that I thought I'd mention it. :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul: That's strange, each update should have Unglued already. You have the one with 5th Dawn, right?

I can send you my Apprentice patch if you want...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spidey, what website did you get Appr. from then? Mine has only tournament legal sets (up to 5th Dawn, yeah). It also killed the flavor texts on every card and replaced it with "www.Magic-League.com" or something like that...

I used to have the version that E-League had available on my old computer, but their website apparently went down or something...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I've been getting mine from Magic-League here... but if you tell me a card where that stuff is happening, I can double-check to see if it happens on mine. I do have Unglued at the least, didn't really see what other non-tourney sets it might have.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Portal and some promotional cards. I know mine has Mana Crypt, but it's missing some of the other promotional ones I'm pretty sure...

Maybe I just got unlucky and downloaded a crappier version. Who knows?

N

Nightstalkers

Meh... Dial up here.... 200MB download...

Hmm, I guess I'll have to put it onto my tab for a disk burning.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'm on dial-up too. I've done files of about that size, but it takes forever and I don't have 60 gigs to play with either...

For that reason I think I'll just stick to Appr.

If my computer were better this thing doesn't look to have any disadvantages...