MTGNews says goodbye... :(

Z

Zadok001

Well, that really is a disapointment. :(

*allows a moment of silence for a great Magic site*

Shade, I know it's not quite the same, but if you'd like, feel free to join our little community until some other options avails itself (or permanently, if you so please). We have a generally tighter knit population, which is why a large portion of the MtGNews community doesn't like this place as much, but in light of these changes, I'd like to say anyone who wants to join us is free to.

This is a very sad moment for the Magic community, one only matched by the slow and painful death of the Dojo. We'll lose some good folks because of this. The CPA can hold the fort for some, I hope.

Shade, I hope you'll accept this as at least a place to mourn for MtGNews.

I

Istanbul

That's...depressing.

I like this place better than MTGnews, but MTGnews was my home before I came here...and if it weren't for Zadok's presence on MTGnews, I would never have found this place.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's been up for five years and you haven't heard of it? :p

Just joshin' witcha, I probably wouldn't have heard of it if people hadn't come here from there AND whenever there's spoiler news here, people always say they usually get it from there.

R

Rando

Prepare for a new flood of members much like, but even bigger then, the mass exodos or August 2000. It was during that flow of members from MTG to here that I arived and many, many others.

This could be a good or bad thing.

But, I'm sUre that a lot of them will gravitate to other boards as well.

We shall see...

H

Hetemti

BLoD proposed MTGlair, that will take a lot of 'em. Someone mentiond some "Epicenter" site, also.

I

Ihsans Shade

A truely great site. I think that this is one of the largest loses the online gaming community has ever seen. That site has been incredibly useful to me as far as Magic news was concered. I have used the Spoilers section more than any other part, and think that the information at spoilers.mtgnews.com shouldn't be lost.

Therefore, I think that as the largest Magic site on the web, we should take the falling torch from the saddly failing hand of MtgNews, and accept the offer of the free spoiler hosting.

I am...
Ihsan's Shade

R

Rando

We need to be carefull.

The more people that come here, and the more bells and whistles we host, the more expensive this sight becomes.

I do not wish to see Error 404 someday when coming here.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, pragmatically, this site might not jive with some people. I mean, it's my impression that the number of active members has pretty much remained the same (around 50), despite the 1200 number above.

So some might come here and not like it, some may come and stay a for little while, some may stay and post regularly. Who knows...

H

Hetemti

The biggest threat are spammers.

They'll eat our bandwidth, drive the mods nuts, and ruin the site.

Don't forget the bad things about MTGnews while concentrating on the good.

I

Istanbul

I've educated more than one spammer around here.
Spammers won't be an issue. Trust me. I'll nip that in the bud SUPER-fast.

A

arhar

Wow, that's sad... MTGNews was my home before the CPA, and I still have some great memories of it... of course, it always had it's share of problems, but nothing but the good about the dead - is that the right saying? MTGNEws will be missed :(

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Yes, that is quite sad. However, (if nobody saves the whole site) I may be able to save the forums. *sends a PM to DG*

D

DÛke

I really hate that. I really like MTGnews. I've found so many friends there that I wouldn't even trade for anything else...(mostly)...

I would still be at MTGnews if didn't have such a low-intelligent level spammers there. If it was like the old days...I wouldn't be here...and now it's gone!

I

Ihsans Shade

Nice to see you Ed, haven't seen you since I got back.

True there most likely would be problems that arise from saving parts of MTGNews, but isn't it worth taking? That site was one of the few gaming sites that is worth anything out there. wizards is useless for anything other than generating hype. Phyrexia.com is a close second to MTGNew, but its not the same. wizardworld.com hardly has anything other than card images going for it. In fact the best gaming site out there is probably decipher.com, and that's not even magic. MTGNews was one of if not the greatest site for Magic. In my opinion, it must be saved, no matter the cost.

But that's just my opinion...

I am...
Ihsan's Shade

H

Hetemti

Originally posted by DÛke

I really hate that. I really like MTGnews. I've found so many friends there that I wouldn't even trade for anything else...(mostly)...

I would still be at MTGnews if didn't have such a low-intelligent level spammers there. If it was like the old days...I wouldn't be here...and now it's gone!
Give MTGlair a shot...so far, only the "good guys" are there, course it is day 1...but they're already addressing the issue of spammers. And how many moderators they need.

R

rkoelsch

Sorry to see another site close. I didn't spend to much time there just pop in to check some news. I liked the spoiler generator and I hope someone picks that up.