MP - Warped Devotion Ugliness

M

Mikeymike

I've been tooling around with this deck for awhile now and I think its getting close to its peak:

Creatures 5
1 Nightscape Master (have another one coming)
1 Stormscape Master (not bad but soon to be replaced)
3 Mundungu (really fun but might not stay in b/c people just try to kill them out of principle)

Permanents 7
4 Warped Devotion
3 Megrim

Spells 21
4 Recoil
3 Boomerang
3 Capsize (the lock)
4 Counterspell
2 Force of Will
2 Opportunity (Whispers of the Muse maybe?)
2 Evacuation
1 Demonic Tutor

Mana 27
4 Dark Ritual
1 Sol Ring
4 Saltwater Marsh? (Invasion Dual)
2 Underground River
9 Islands
7 Swamps

This is definitely a teammate deck b/c in Chaos it paints a big friggin target on my head.

I used to have a Nether Spirit / Anvil of Bogardan / Megrim combo going but that wasn't for this deck.

All suggestions are welcome

My friend and I had a cool exchange the other night while I was playing this deck. I had the Devotion out and he attacked me with a Treva, I tried to Crapsize it, he countered, I countered, and then he Swordsed his own Treva to fizzle my crapsize. Cool.

N

NeuroDeus

I had to recoil my own Dromar... to save him from Swords... because he was a very important card in the game...

the deck looks cool...

G

Gerode

Sunken Hope and Wash Out can help considerably in the bouncing department.

Propaganda can help against those critters that you can't bounce immediately.

One of my friends has a deck like this. Just today, there were two Warped Devotions and two Megrims on the board at one time! I love Unnerve and Noetic Scales! :)

M

Mikeymike

Thank You NeuroDues :cool:

GerodeI had Sunken Hope in for awhile and it was fairly strong. But I had to turn the deck into a team deck in order to survive and my teammates were getting pissed that their creatures were getting bounced back.

Wash Out is a good idea, but what do I take out? Evacuation has saved me too many times (being an instant) to remove but that ability to remove *permanents* is nice. I have to find room for it.

OK - here's what I'm considering adding
1-2 Wash Out
1 Yawgmoth's Agenda, this could be good but is it overkill?
1 Vampiric Tutor, just got my 1st one.

Cards to cut
2 Mundungu - they die too quickly
1-2 Ritual - Maybe, I get these too often in the late game
??

Any more ideas?

C

Captain Caveman

You could replace Mundungu with:

Temperal Adept
Man o'War
Urborg Emissary
or maybe even
Nightscape Battlemage

I'd replace something with the Wash Out's. Maybe the Evac's.

Just some thought's,
Caveman

E

Ephrils

I don't think Yagmoth's Agenda is overkill. It lets you freely cast your bounce spells early on, then get a second chance to cast them later. I use the card in my Devotion Deck, and that card basically achieves the lock when it comes out in mid to late game.

M

Mikeymike

Caveman The Adept would be interesting in here, but I don't own any. Also, her UUU activation would be a problem b/c I don't have enough dual lands. Plus our group strikes quick and she'd probably never become active (Mundungu problem). I've been thinking abou the Man-O-War, but I usually like using him with some form of recursion.

Superguy That deck is nice, really has some strong mass effects to maximise the Devotion and Megrim, I can't even see the need for the Feldon's Cane. Its more of a combo deck than mine but if I break down and go 70 cards I've got a lot of stuff to choose from. I borrowed your Impluses, I've been having some trouble searching.

Ephrils I think I'm going to try it. I only have one, but I've got some Tutors which should help me go get it later in the game (when I'll want it).

Everyone:
For targeting spells I've got 3 Capsize and 4 Recoil that can hit any permanent, maybe I should take out the Boomerangs and replace them with mass removal.

Right now here is my search pool:
2 Impulse
2 Opportunity
1 V. Tutor
1 D. Tutor

Opportunity is nice, but is it better as something else?

Man, this deck could be 100 cards so easily. Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone.

G

galtwish

2 Impulse
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Sunder
1 Distorting Wake
1 Sol Ring
2 Force of Will
2 Counterspell
4 Recoil
3 Boomerang
4 Warped Devotion
4 Wall of Tears
1 Morphling/Rainbow Efreet/Zephid/Mahamoti Djinn/Chimeric Staff
4 Megrim
4 Warped Devotion
12 Islands
6 Swamps
4 Salt Marsh
2 Underground River

Just thinking that you don't really need Counterspells in Chaos until you try to kill everyone with Sunder or Distorting Wake after you get the pieces of the combo down. Wall of Tears will also og a long way in helping you protect you early on. I think you should combo out your opponents rather than Capsize them to death. I suggest getting two more Impulses to help you find the cards you need.

Erik

M

Mikeymike

galtwishI agree with you about trying to win via a combo route for Chaos, but I've had to build this deck as a teammate deck.

I've tried this deck in about 4 or 5 different Chaos games, and it immediately becomes a target since the 1st time I dropped the Devotion. The deck is strong, but fending off multiple people is tough. I can turn it into a Chaos deck, but our group mostly plays 2Headed Giant and Emperor's, and I built this deck to try not to slow down or annoy my teammates.

But I have been eyeing both Sunder and Distorting Wake. Sunder I'm going to try as a finisher. The Wake makes me a little nervous b/c of the 'UUU' in its casting cost, but by the time I have enough mana to make it useful I'll have UUU.

I'm surprised you'd go with Capsize over Boomerang. For an extra 1 its the same spell with the added benefit of being able to become a slow lock. With the Devotion out, it has been the most consistently dangerous card in the deck. I definitely like your idea on dropping the Rituals all together, I don't use them enough to justify having them in the deck. Sure Megrim or a Devotion on turn 1 is nice but it doesn't do you any good if your not casting bounce on turn 2 (that situation could only happen with 1 of my 2 Rivers). Zephid is a good idea too (no Morphling or Rainbows unfortunately).

Too many choices...brain hurts

I'll be posting the updated decklist later on tonight.

K

krichaiushii

Beware, this is just stream of thought brainstorming...

Another reason to start maindecking Purify in MP games...

Is Storm Cauldron a bit much? I suspect a teammate would not care for it, but could be a fun option, but then you would need more artifact mana to stay viable.

Windfall (just one...), or maybe Equilibrium, if you end up going creature heavy for some reason. Ah, Equilibrium in your teammate's deck!

Everyone else has pretty much covered things...

Out

S

superguy

This is a team deck? Well that changes things! Unnerve, Syphon Soul, Subverion, Cackling Fiend, etc. are all useful in team games. There are many more. Also, maybe you should try some artifact mana to get your Capsize lock going sooner. Also, the cards you should use depend on what deck your partner, and possibly opponents play.

C

Cateran Emperor

I like it! Definately use Whispers of the Muse if you can find any. Use some artifact mana (B/U moxes if you've got 'em, but Diamonds will work fine) Sapphire Medallions would probably be better than Ritual since you can keep using cheaper Capsizes and really get people mad at you ;)

Sunken Hope would just be crazy in here, so use that and some sort of trigger creature to find your way around it. Faerie Conclave can do that pretty well. Also, you can always just use your own Capsize to recall the Devotion if you need to.

E

Ephrils

Yeah, a Teammate deck does change things.

If it's not going to be just you, get rid of the Agenda, sorry, I didn't realize how exactly thiswas going to work. It'll pin yall down more than it will your opponents.

I use Opt, Impulse, Fact or Fiction, and a Vampiric Tutor as my search cards(It's Type 2 or was). The reason for the Opt and Impulses serves another purpose of cycling through your deck, since any unwanted cards you pass by go to the bottom.

Storm Cauldron could easily backfire on you. If it's planned for you'l be ok, but expect it to make the deck run a bit slower when it comes out--unless your ok with discarding land at every spell.

I'd pick Boomerang over Capsize. It's cheaper and I just like it better. If you want the reusable effects I suggest you throw in a Feldon's Cane or 2.

Try out Distorting Wake as well. I think it can't hit lands, but it'll be a good desperation card in a tight spot, like Wash Out would be at times.

M

Mikeymike

Whew, there's alot to take into account here. OK, here are the cards that have been suggested:

Bounce
Distorting Wake (can't target lands) - I've got 2 so I can try it. The cost is expensive but it could be very strong
Sunder - I was going to put 1 in here as a finisher anyway. I've got more if I want to go the combo route later on.
Wall of Tears - Good in theory, but if I'm going to have any creatures in here they'll be Nightscape Masters or a biggun. Because the deck has so few critters, people always have removal by the time I play one.
Storm Cauldron - Would backfire on me, and I've got a lot of odd number spells in here that would force me to burn
Sunken Hope - I tried it, my teammates did not like me playing this card, especially in this deck. In Chaos, that's another story. I'll save this guy for my *Mystic Snake deck.

Search
Windfall - That's a damn good idea. Good search, combos with Megrim. I'll try it instead of an Opportunity. (krichaiushii, funny you should mention the Equilibrium b/c I was teamed up with one w/o collaborating on what decks to play, we won).
Opt - Everyone seems to love this card, I personally like Slieght of Hand better. I don't know about this one, I have a tough time devoting 4 spots in the deck to a card that digs 2 deep into my deck w/ no card advantage.

Other
Sapphire Medallion - I've been thinking about this too. I have 2 S.Medallions, let me try them out
Unnerve - OK, now there are way too many cards I want to put in here. I should probably stick to bounce for discard, but this is so attractive.
Subversion - Its not bad (I tried it in here), but I've come to the realization that this is more of a combo deck than a control deck, and the Sub slows me down.

Here is the newest decklist: I'm trying a lot of suggestions and I'll ween out the weak.
Permanents 10
4 Warped Devotion
4 Megrim
2 Sapphire Medallion

Spells 26
4 Recoil
3 Boomerang
2 Capsize
1 Sunder
2 Distorting Wake
2 Wash Out)
3 Counterspell
1 Force of Will
--
3 Impulse
2 Whispers of the Muse
1 Windfall
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor

Mana 24
1 Sol Ring
4 Salt Marsh
2 Underground River
10 Islands
7 Swamps

Thanks for the help everyone :)

S

superguy

The reason I thought Subversion would be good in here, is since you'll be the one with the evil Devotion-Bounce thing going on, you needed a way to survive all the fire that would be aimed at you. Subversion does so quiet nicely and hurts opponents at the same time.

E

Ephrils

Opt would still be good in that new deck because of the Tutors. If VT or MT for the card you want, you can use Opt to draw it. It's also not card advantage you're particularly after, it's the ability to cycle through your deck faster.

M

Mikeymike

Subversion is a great card in MP. I like it a lot, and I actually did try it in the first (very rough) version of the deck. A few things I noticed with it in this deck was:

1) This deck has to move quick to try to bury my opponents. At 5 mana it almost always came out after Devotion/Megrim, and at that time everyone's efforts were at killing me, so a 4 life swing each turn wasn't cutting it. I always would rather it be more bounce, a counter, or card drawing.

2) Without the Dark Rituals, I would need at least 7 mana to cast it and hold back 2 blue for the bounce/counter threat.
--
Opt does work very nicely with the Tutors, but I've only got 2 to take advantage of it. OK I'll try them anyway since everyone loves them so much. You guys sure know how to twist someone's arm :D.

And my lack of card advantage is a HUGE flaw in the deck. All my singular bounce (except my beloved Capsize) is straight disadvantage until I get a Devotion out, and its even worse with multiple opponents (Another reason I lose in Chaos all the time with this deck, I can't answer everyting).

We'll see, I haven't tried it yet with the new build.