Mortal Combat

C

chocobo_cid

One of the lesser OD win conditions, I figure this to be easily manipulated by a little mana severance and a Grindstone. Any thoughts on a Combat deck?

C

chris92

hermit druid with no basic lands, use them artifact lands instead :D

R

Rooser

Yeah, If I were gonna do it, I'd do it Hermit Druid. Grindstone/Severance won't work as good as you think because you'll still bump into the occasional grindstone or severance as you try to flip stuff over, and so by the time you set it up, you'll probably need 5 or 6 activation before you can flip your deck over. Hermit Druid can go in one pop. Actually, a funny way to work the Druid might actually be to run 2 or 3 swamps in your deck, that way your second turn druid can just go get you the next two lands you need to actually cast the Mortal Combat.

If you want this to be extended legal, however, you might need a different approach because they just banned Hermit Druid in January.

For this, Buried Alive is always good, and maybe you could work some massive black mana combo, (read: Cabal Coffers), so you can just cycle Undead Gladiator a bunch of times during your upkeep. Weeeeeeeee.....

Obviously anything that flips your deck over or draws/discards is good, Careful Study, Merfolk Looter, Brain Freeze, etc.

C

chris92

too bad for the hermit druid. but its great fun to use.
you could go no basic lands and when you flip your deck over, flash back a krosan reclamation and get a couple of mortal combats or an extra mana source into your two card library :D

C

chocobo_cid

For 5BB, that would be more of a finishing card. However, that'll work.

Another idea: infinite black mana combo onto a shade, then altar of dementia.

H

Homestar

id use buried alive on panoptic mirror or something. but i dont really kno many cards relating to this topic tho. bad part about the whole card is 20 creatures is quite a few if you plan to put all these sorceries and artifacts and other things in a deck and make it small enough to where you will actually get the ones u want.

M

mythosx

two slow...you can just run a fatty traumatize. I would run mortal combat in conjunction with battle of wits. If you cant pull off a battle of wits then just traumatize your self. Voila instant 20 creatures...make sure you run the usual suspects, like tutors, mills, etc.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
My friend used Morality Shift like Isty suggested, but also used Balthor the Defiled as a backup in case the Mortal Combat got disenchanted. He also used creatures with CIP effects to take advantage of either hard-casting them while waiting for the combo or for use with Balthor.

C

chocobo_cid

CIP? I know what COP is, and I know what PF(C) effects are, but I don't know what CIP is.

C

chocobo_cid

Accursed Centaur, Commander Greven il-vec, Kjeldoran Dead! Gee, those would work well!

:D

T

train

The morality balthor was my idea!!!...

oh well - I can share - it worked well with the CIP lose life/damage creatures:D

T

train

I couldn't help it - I was abducted by some hot-bodied amazonian women... in Chicago...

well...

something like that...

:D :p

H

Homestar

lol, o yeah and train i have been meaning to ask you....why dont you like blue? what kind of awesome cards and/or combos are there that make it so cheap? either i dont see manty blue cards or i am makin a newbish mistake.

M

mythosx

Ah young one, You come from a more peaceful era in magic. The days of yore when mighty mages tossed around cards so powerful, many a brave warrior lost games before they even got to go for 1 turn. I believe trains hatred of blue stems from these days. Mind over matter, counterspells, Timewalk, Timetwister are all so powerful it would be like pitting Mike Tyson up against a nuke. 3 of the power nine cards are blue.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
train: Did your wife rescue you? :p

I think train just doesn't like blue because for 2 blue mana, you can say "no" to anything. And then the variations.

T

train

Actually the only colored power nine cards are blue... and even if you went power 10, the only colored ones are blue...

To be honest - I used to play Blue, but was humbled by enlightenment, and know how wrong it is...

I don't like blue because of how easy it is to win iwth it... trust me - it is... you only need one kill condition, and a lot of "no" cards to win the game...

no other color can say that... granted other colors have received counterspells in various forms - but it really takes the fun out of a game when only one player is playing...:rolleyes:

Spidey - actually my wife hired them to abduct me - I think... she's recently taken out a 10 gazillion life insurance policy on me, and probably wanted to cash in...:p

But I escaped - similar to my escape from Spidey's fortress...:D :p