Morphed creatures

M

Mikeymike

This isn't so much a single card strategy as it is a single mechanic strategy. Of all I've read about the pros and cons about morph creatures, there is a pro point I have yet to see anyone touch on.

On most of the creatures (probably 95%) the generic morph + activation will be more than the CC, which is understandable. But morph allows you to get a larger/better creature into play sometimes sooner than you normally can, while leaving you plenty of options what to do.

For lack of a better example, I'll use
Blistering Firecat
1RRR
7/1 Trample, Haste
Sac at the end of turn
Morph RR

A few things his morph cost allows you to do that the regular CC can't do.
- Pay him on turn 5 for 3RR, meaning he can be cast if you don't get your 3 mountains - i.e. he's more splashable.
- If you are stuck at 3 lands, generic morph him into play on turn 3, activate him on turn 4. What to do with that extra 1 mana? Eh, why not Reckless Charge.
- Generic Morph him into play on turn 3, activate him on turn 4. You've got 2 more mana open on turn 4 than you would of if you hard cast him.
- Let's say this Firecat didn't have haste. Dropping him into play on turn 3 means he could attack on turn 4. To expand this example, let's say 'hypothetical fatty' has a CC of 4GG with a morph of 3GG. Minus mana acceleration he could normally attack on turn 7. By using his morph costs he can now attack on turn 5. Now what if his morph was 1GGG, that would mean he attacks on turn 4. Either way, that's pretty cool.

I feel Morph is going to be much stronger than we initially thought.

T

train

All I know is that playing these guys is awesome because thye can't be countered. They can't be llawan cephalid empress and alter-reality-ed. They are the schiznit!!!

T

train

If playing a creature for it's morph cost does not put it on the stack... it comes into play uncounterable... We'll have to see the FAQ.

If it does use the stack, the U mage doesn't know if this morph is worth countering or not... That's still a good edge.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, but I'm talking about when it first comes into play for 3 colorless or whatever. That has to go on the stack...

S

Sammy Dead-O

I think it's the flipping over of a morph card already in play that it has been said will not use the stack. We've gotta hope that they'll be counterable!

T

train

U players have to hope they're counterable...

For Serra's sake let us non-U mages laugh at U without relenting for just this once...

M

Mikeymike

My opinion
Paying its generic 3 mana cost will be counterable (its a form of Alternate Playing Cost, and it will go on the stack like Spidey), paying its morph cost does not use the stack and therefore cannot be countered (since a counter cannot target something that is not on the stack). If it could be countered it would defeat the purpose.

All of you are correct

M

Mikeymike

(Mikeymike hoping the Happy Dance doesn't involve a brass pole and a G-String :eek: )

I just thought it was funny b/c it seemed like you guys were debating for the sake of debate.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
(Don't you worry 'bout that) :D

Actually, all the confusion would have been cleared up if people read my first post more carefully where I said "first playing the spell" :p

T

train

You know Spidey, you could take your Happy Dance to a whole new level and have Elvish Rangers line dance it with you!!!...

I'll begin selling the tickets!!!

They could use the brass poles and g-strings...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's just a solo act for now... actually meant for my personal amusement... not supposed to go public or anything :p

K

Killerbob

its a fact, that morph lets your hypothetical fatty attack earlier. But you also run the risk, that someone kills Daddys Fatty with some small-critter-kill-spell. But I guess its worth the risk.

N

NorrYtt

Morph is a slight nerf on counterspells. The blue mage won't know what you're putting into play.

If they do something like Treachery, they likely can't pay the morph cost.

Green can sneak a morphed creature out under blue's counterspells (especially if vanilla counter costs 1UU) and then later morph a gigantic fattie or card engine (Hystrodon).