Monolith: Basault or Grim?

• Thread starter James, Wizard Naive
  • Start date
J

James, Wizard Naive

What are the pros and cons of these two monoliths in terms of mana acceleration? Under what circumstances would each one be preferred? I am trying to build a fast blue/artifact deck for MP and I am considering my options.

Grim Monolith
2, Artifact,
Grim Monolith does not untap during your untap phase.
T: Add three colorless mana to your mana pool. Play this ability as a mana source.
4: Untap Grim Monolith.

Basalt Monolith
3, Mono Artifact,
T: Add 3 colorless mana to your mana pool. Does not untap as normal during untap phase;
3: Untap Basalt Monolith.

T

train

Grim comes out sooner, but untaps 2 turns later.

Basalt comes out 1 turn later but untaps 1 turn sooner.

If you were running any mana acceleration at all the grim becomes a little stronger...

For Grim example:
turn 1 - land, tap land, play a creature that taps for mana
turn 2 - land, tap lands for mana, play grim, tap grim and creature, put out something that costs 4 (3 generic and 1 colored are possible).

For Basalt example:
turn 1 - land, tap land, play a creature that taps for mana
turn 2 - land, tap lands and creature to play basalt, put out something that costs 3 (only generic) mana.

There's a pretty obvious difference. If you don't have to worry about always using the monolith as a mana source and it is mainly an accelerator - use the grim... If you're worried about mana efficiency every turn use the basalt... It all depends on what else you play in your deck.

Good Luck!!!

M

Mikeymike

In certain slower decks and/or longer anticipated games, I've found the Basalt Monolith to be a better card believe it or not.

From a Multi-player perspective
The speed of the Grim is a big plus, however being that it is a restricted card in Type 1 its rare that you actually will get it in your first 8-9 cards that you actually will be able to cast it on turn 2.
The games where you do actually get it out quickly, you usually become an early target b/c with 6 reusable mana (or more) available on turn 3 you are a big threat.

Past turn 4 the Basalt becomes the superior of the 2. You'll find its much easier to hold back 3 mana than it is 4 mana as the game goes on. It doesn't sound like much, but that extra 1 mana fee is something that you will run into many times during the game, and it will prevent you from being able to untap the Grim.

So in faster, 1 vs 1, and most constructed style decks the Grim monolith is almost always superior. In slower, big spell, and/or MP decks the Basalt Monolith gets my nod.

Or you could just play 4 Thran Dynamo like I usually do :p.

PS - Welcome to the CPA James!

T

train

I hadn't thought of substitutes, but for use with either card, and use with other artifacts, the mother of all artifact lovers:

The Voltaic Key! This thing works like an engine...

Tap the grim or basalt for 3 mana, use 1 to activate the key and untap the monolith, then tap for more.... yeah buddy!!!

The thran dynamo helps during the upkeep step in providing mana to untap the artifacts, but the key can be used anytime!!!

By the way, I run Grims, Dynamos, and Keys in my desert deck...