Mono-blue Wizards Vial

M

Mur

I don't mean to brag, but this deck amazed me at how well it worked, at least in the MTGO casual room (and yes, I advertise for "casual" decks only, so no, this deck is not going to beat B/G Cloud or anything like that).

Qty Card Name
24 Island
4 Æther Vial
4 Æther Spellbomb
2 Thought Courier
2 Vedalken Mastermind
2 Puppeteer
2 Graceful Adept
3 Trinket Mage
3 Shimmering Glasskite
2 Soratami Savant
2 Jetting Glasskite
4 Squelch
2 Hinder
2 Condescend
3 Azami, Lady of Scrolls

The idea is to slow down the board, using early Puppeteers and Spellbombs to make sure your opponent doesn't get too far ahead of you. The AEther Vials help you drop early creatures without using mana that you'd rather use for Counterspells. Then you get out a Glasskite (preferably Vialed), and swing.

Synergy abounds. Vedalken Mastermind plus Trinket Mage equals invulnerable blocker with a bonus (block, pick up Trinkie, put back down with Vial, fetch another Spellbomb). Thought Courier can dig into your deck, looking for something that's the right size to Vial-drop in front of an attacker. And Azami is just nuts in this deck: I have yet to draw less than 4 cards from her.

Squelch is an all-star in the showdown with Ninjas: counter the Ninjitsu move, and your opponent has picked up an attacker for nothin' -- AND you get to draw a card, so unfair! Counter the Sakura-Tribe Elder. Counter any equip attempt. Counter another's Soratami ability. The list goes on.

There are probably far better builds, with more counterspells, but you know what? I don't like playing against "4x Mana Leak, 4x Condescend, 4x Hinder, 4x Rewind" :rolleyes: in the casual room, so I don't make others do it.

F

Force of Will Smith

I applaud you for not saturating your deck with silly counters..
The deck also looks really cool.
People give wizards NO love... but theyre just difficult..
i have a wizard deck with ridiculous amounts of bounce,control, card drawing and removal... no one ever wants to enter group games with it.. :D

It rocks how you actually use the puppeteer!

J

jorael

Nice deck!

Voidmage Prodigy could be a nice addition to the deck. It gives you at least some countering ability and it's a 2/1 for 2 mana. If you want to avoid any countering, this is a no no, of course.

I'd replace 4 islands by the blue artifact lands, but that is probably not done online, as they are banned...