Mono Blue Infinite Turn...need win condition

R

Reverend Love

Oversoul turned me on to Snowfall, a great mana producer with cumulative upkeep. However with power conduit we fix that! Being that cumulative upkeep is kept track of using counters! :) I plan on moving the counters to Magistrate's Scepter, Living Wall, Snow Fortress or heck someone else creature during the upkeep. Then pay the cumulative upkeep on Snowfall. Here's what I came up with;

3 Snowfall
3 Power Conduit

The deck is mana hungy. It requires playing a succession of high casting cost spells back to back.

1 Time Walk
1 Time Stretch
3 Timewarp

Here's the actual extra turn spells in the deck. I'm seriously considering dropping the Time Stretch in favor of a additional Timewarp.

4 Relearn
2 Mirari
1 Recall

Here's the recursion. Relearn and Recall get the spells back with Mirari forking either recursive spells, or the actual time spells themselves.

4 Living Wall
2 Snow Fortress

Hooray for walls! Actually they're dual purpose. One they're defense two I can dump off additional mana without taking mana burn.

1 Feldon's Cane
4 Howling Mine
1 Time Spiral
2 Fabricate
1 Magistrate's Scepter
1 War Tax

Here's mish-mash of supporting cards. Feldon's Cane is the emergency "about to deck yourself" card. Howling mines grabs those badly needed extra cards..and hopefully keeps the other players from tearing into me (yea right). Time Spiral is great, helps with setup by drawing cards and untapping land (float mana). Fabricate grabs Walls, Mines, Mirari and Feldon's Cane. Magistrate's Scepter is the obvious target for dumping off those counters producing by snowfall, however I'm pretty iffy on its staying. War Tax, king of casual group mo-mo defense cards.

23 Snow-Covered Islands

Duh.

...Now all I need is a way to win. Suggestions? I have 3 card slots open.

M

Mikeymike

Tidal Kraken! You get one of those bad boys in play, and then cast Time-X and its all over. The nice thing about it is that you don't need truly infinite turns per say, a Miraried Time Stretch will do it.

EDIT - Also, check out this old deck of mine. It's got some similar ideas in here, along with an infinite loop to recur the Stretches.

N

NorrYtt

Snowfall is frequently listed as one of the ten worst cards in Magic. There is a reason for this.

I think you are trying to use Snowfall as a High Tide or Mana Flare effect. This is wrong.

Snowfall 2U
Enchantment
Cumulative Upkeep U
Whenever an Island is tapped for mana, its controller may add U to his or her mana pool. If that Island is a snow-covered land, its controller may add UU to his or her mana pool instead. Spend this mana only to pay for cumulative upkeep.

It does produce a great amount of mana that can only be used for paying cumulative upkeep. The only thing Snowfall can do really well is keep a Reality Twist in play.

R

Reverend Love

Yea I know :( After reading the card again I was dismayed. But then again that kind of explains for the cards lack of use. Because the way I was reading it would make it the utter bomb.

T

train

I have to point out - as I did in another thread - that the snowfall is not one of the worst cards... it just isn't used correctly...

With the conduits, and something like upwelling - you could run a lot of cum. upkeep cards, and use the extra mana to pay for them... Accumulated knowledge comes to mind... Glacial Chasm comes to mind(conduits)...

There's an idea here - it just needs to ferment...;)

K

Killerbob

Sorry that your deck doesnt work, but anyway, any infinite mana-generating deck can use Magma Mine as wincondition.

edit: or even whetstone. Doesnt win every time, but very stylish when it does!

R

Reverend Love

Well it sucks that I didn't read snowfall and began building a deck around it's presumed functionality. However it's not all that difficult to merely swap out a few cards while keeping the theme intact. In fact it's stability will probably increase due to no longer requiring Power Conduit to keep Snowfall in check.

-3 Snowfall
-2 Power Conduit

Replaced by:

4 Sapphire Medallion
1 Extraplanar Lens

Less efficient but more stable, even tradeoff.

-4 Living Wall
-2 Snow Fortress

With Snowfall out there's no longer a required outlet for the additional mana. So out they go...

1 Spellweaver's Helix
3 Propaganda
1 Sol Ring

I built an infinite loop deck with the goal of going off 5th round utilizing helix. The results were mixed (too draw dependant) so I scrapped the idea. Helix I believe can excel at playing a supporting role instead. With the deck already churning out multiple turns drawing into a helix would be beautiful. Lacking my fearsome regiment of walls some type of discouragement needs to be present, Propaganda fits the bill rather well.

-1 Magistrate's Scepter
-1 War Tax
-1 Fabricate

War Tax is being replaced by the arguably better Propaganda. Fabricate is great but I think the deck can work with one. Magistrate's Scepter lost it's heavy token creator of Snowfall.

1 Mystical Tutor
1 Evacuation
1 Feldon's Cane

The Tutor can grab a Time spells or artifacts (Fabricate). Evacuation is my lone "ooh crap goblins!" card. The additional Feldon's cane keeps the from loosing to Howling Mines.

3 Darksteel Reactor

Decided that hell, since time isn't a problem I'll go with a secure (indestructible) win condition. There's FAR too much creature removal floating around lately so I while I like Mikey's suggestion of Tidal Kraken, I knew he'd get waxed. With the lone Power Conduit I can centralize counters from multiple reactors onto one single reactor.

Here's what the deck looks like now. Any suggestions?

- Train - Notice the lack of counters? Not all blue decks are evil.

Win Condition: 3
3 Darksteel Reactor

Time Spells: 5
1 Time Walk
1 Time Stretch
3 Timewarp

Artifacts: 16
4 Sapphire Medallions
1 Spellweaver’s Helix
2 Mirari
2 Feldon’s Cane
1 Power Conduit
4 Howling Mines
1 Extraplanar Lens
1 Sol Ring

Supporting Spells: 13
1 Mystical Tutor
4 Relearn
1 Recall
1 Time Spiral
1 Power Conduit
1 Fabricate
3 Propaganda
1 Evacuation

Land: 23
22 Islands
1 Tolarian Academy

N

NorrYtt

Don't feel bad about screwing up a card like Snowfall that you built a deck around.

Up until yesterday, I've been playing Power Conduit incorrectly, assuming that it cost 2, Tap to activate. My deck plays way better now that Power Conduit is almost like a 2 mana Dragon Blood that costs nothing to activate.

T

train

The conduit with snowfall is exactly why snowfall is a much stronger than previously determined card...;)

R

Rooser

Right before Mirrodin came out my friend built a decent conduit-less deck around snowfall, "Just on principle," he said. It'll never win any tournaments, but when combined with enough cumulative upkeep cards it is playable in its own right.

Now that the conduit's out, Mwonvuli Ooze grows even faster! :rolleyes:

H

Homestar

:eek: sweet deck. you'll get far with that one i think. but that snowfall isnt to good when it's played incorrectly.

Homestar

T

train

a lot of cards are too good when not played properly...;)

I think it comes down to whether or not the deck is used for control or other measures that determine how effective the snowfall can be...

N

Nightstalkers

I'm only going to tell you this once, and one time only=

Panoptic Mirror + Time Walk = Infinite turn....

The Darksteel Reactor would give you a wind condition... but mainly you could mill the deck if you wanted to dip into that evil power.... :rolleyes:

Nightstalker Habuki

R

Reverend Love

Nightstalkers

I'm only going to tell you this once, and one time only=
Panoptic Mirror + Time Walk = Infinite turn....
:cool:

I already commented on that exact combo Nightstalkers.

The Darksteel Reactor would give you a wind condition... but mainly you could mill the deck if you wanted to dip into that evil power....
With the addition of Mirrodin and Darksteel to my casual group Naturalize, Disenchant and Purify are making their rounds lately. The Industructability of Darksteel Reactor gives me a security blanket to cuddle up with..knowing some wiener won't blast it.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
If they can't kill you or stop the Reactor with some non-destruction ability then they deserve to lose...

It might be a funny kill condition in a lockdown or infinite turn based deck, but not the most efficient...

R

Reverend Love

Train

During the Odyssey Block through Onslaught I would just sorta look at my purifies then pass them over..usually heading to black for Tsabo's Decree and Exctinction. Now in this new Artifact heavy environment they're pure mayhem...I likes :D

Oversoul

What do you suggest otherwise? Remember I'll be facing down at least four other opponents, so something say like a target-able creature isn't going to cut it.

T

train

You could make it targettable - and you could also make it Darksteel Colossus...;)