MML Rant....sort of

Killer Joe

Okay, just as a refresher, the Multiplayer Magic League (MML) is a year-long, point-based, non-sanctioned multiplayer game held during GASP game days (Gaming Association of Southwestern Pennsylvania).

Our point system, which I've mentioned many times on these boards is simple: each player you eliminate you recieve 1 Kill-Point, you also recieve Placement Points based on when you are eliminated from the game so if you're the first player eliminated you recieve 1 Placement Point, 2nd player eliminated; 2 Placement points, etc...You Also recieve 2 Victory Points if you win the game itself.

Got that? Because it has nothing to do with my rant. :p

Sort of...

Out of about 20 players who've participated in our league I'm about half way down the list with about 13 total points, not my usual placement, in past years I have dominated the league but am showing much restraint for the "good of the Game" this year.

The lead player has 50 points as of the May game, he's a very good player and he is very methodical in his approach to playing the game. He doesn't smack-talk, he doesn't draw any attention to himself and always appears as if he is of no threat to anyone. He's also a very Nice-Guy and it wouldn't be a nice thing to do to attack him and/or try to eliminate him from the game because he is always so helpful to all the players either giving advice or giving cards away or just being nice.

He does, however, have a pet-peeve: ME :D

Actually, I'm most of the player's pet-peeve, because to lose to me is to akin to being a mouse and having been caught by a cat who won't kill you right away, just slowly wears you down until you either conceede to death or actually die from a small puncture wound. I just can't help myself, I like to play long games and torture my opponents, just ask Moosie! :rolleyes:

But this lead player has rallied the crowd to convince everyone that I am a threat and therefore I have been the first to get eliminated from the MML the last two times I've been there. With that said, I have always written about how players need to 'gang-up' on me to get me out of the game asap or die a slow and painful death because once my deck starts to get it's MO-JO then it truely can be tough to eliminate me. I have always thought it but have never mentioned (written) that players need to do that when I'm in first place in the standings. As of now, like Hillary, there is no way I'm ever going to gain enough points to win the whole thing this year. Yet I am painted as the lead player who needs to be "dealt with". :mad:

Then, after the other players have expended their resources trying to cut-me-down this lead player reins his terror on the unsuspecting lambs and he wins easily. See, with me out of the way he usually has no other threat except when Mooseman is there then he has to deal with him, too. :p Go Countermagic Cards!!!!!!!!

Yes, I am whining, I never saw it written anywhere that I can't whine but I have brought it on to myself, this I'm sure of. But here is where I am wrestling with myself: Should I target him in the MML monthly game? Yes, he does target me immediately each game and somehow it doesn't seem like that is bad sportsmanship, but I am "planning" on doing just that to him next month and it will most definitely seem like bad sportsmanship (with a dash of revenge) ;)

Here's what I'm thinking of doing: I have the 1998 World Championship deck that Ben Rubin played (Dead Guy Red), I made the deck a 75 card deck (our rule this year is that decks must be a minimum of 75 cards because combo decks were getting ridiculous). It has some of these gems in it:

Mistress Red
4x Jackle Pup
4x Mogg Fanatic
2x Mogg Flunkies
4x Ball Lightning
2x Hammer of Bogarden
4x Seal of Fire
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Cursed Scroll
4x Fireblast
4x Incinerate
4x Volcanic Hammer
4x Lava Spike
1x Viashino Sandstalker
30 Mountains

Will this deck last in the long game? NOPE. But it will last long enough for me to burn him out by turn 4 or 5 which are the turns he has eliminated me. In fact, if I can burn him out first I'm sure I'd labeled "The Bad Guy" and I would feel bad about it, too. This guy has never been out first nor anywhere near the beginning of any game. Remember, he's a nice guy and players just don't (won't) attack him. He's currently 25+ points ahead of the next player.

Is this a bad-thing to do? Don't answer, I already know it is. It's spiteful and fueled by anger/frustration and nothing good ever comes from that. :confused:

~KJ

Here are the current standings:
Overall Standings to Date: May 2008
50 = 31 + 13 + 6.........AzureKnight
23 = 20 + 3 + 0...........Kara
19 = 17 + 2 + 0...........Mooseman
18 = 17 + 1 + 0...........Silverfire Prime
16 = 13 + 3 + 0...........Hellgod
16 = 16 + 0 + 0...........Lady B
15 = 7 + 6 + 2.............RX Maverick
14 = 11 + 3 + 0...........Dan
13 = 12 + 1 + 0...........KJ
12 = 11 + 1 + 0...........Randy Tobias
8 = 4 + 2 + 2...............Kevin "Goblin King"
8 = 7 + 1 + 0...............YoungBeard
6 = 6 + 0 + 0...............Jared
6 = 6 + 0 + 0...............Jon
6 = 5 + 1 + 0...............SamT
5 = 4 + 1 + 0...............Jim F
4 = 4 + 0 + 0...............Ethan
2 = 2 + 0 = 0...............nire.everlast

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you figure the other players either don't know or don't care that he ends up winning overall. You can try to educate them and see if they think it's a good idea to try to turn the tables on him, "nice guy" or not...

Or you'll have to go with your strategy of taking him out first.

turgy22

Nothing Special
I am of the belief that everyone has the right to do whatever they want. And if you don't like what someone else is doing, then it's up to you to change it.

Obviously, AzureKnight and many other people didn't like the types of decks you were playing, so they did something about it. And, IMO, you have no right to complain about that. But you certainly have the right to bring a new deck to the table that turns the tables around once again. If he doesn't like it, it's up to him to adjust his strategy again. And if anyone ever gets to the point where they're not having fun and they refuse to adapt, quitting is always an option.

So I say, have at it and enjoy. If I were you, I'd play my little vengence deck for a few weeks, until everyone gets used to your strategy of killing one person before dying. Eventually, people will realize that you aren't a legitimate long-term threat and then you can slowly start tweaking your deck to play for the long win.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
KJ, you need to take him out ASAP. He has definitely used the stuffy doll on you in past games and has quietly rallied the other players against you (and me.... "Oh, elves, that is very scary..")
It's time to be that "nice" player I remember from the first time we played magic together......

I'm still in 3rd place????

Killer Joe

I know I brought it on myself and I "own" that part, it was the "revenge" part I WAS struggling with but you three are right. "If it is to be, then it's up to me." to quote some weird Amway saying. :rolleyes:

I want to put the deck in slut red colored sleeves, put it in the same color deck box and put a picture of a red haired dominatrix on the front and display it during the game. :eek: :D

After I burn him with the first spell!!! MuWhahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the advice, guys. It helps that Moosie knows exactly what's going on. :)

btw - Kara is getting aggressive :cool:

Killer Joe

I updated my list above. 30 mountains may seem a bit much for this 75 card deck but in ensures that I don't get mana screwed. I might put in four of those lands that I can sac to deal more damage (forgot the name - but I have four of them somewhere).

The whole 'revenge' idea behind this deck keeps wearing on my conscience but I really want to do this just because I need to do it. No real reason. :eek:

M

Modus Pwnens

Barbarian Ring.

You should consider adding Keldon Megaliths as well, I love 'm :)

Killer Joe

Every morning for the past several weeks I've play-tested my deck to see what turn I can kill a player without defense; avg: turn 4.6

Turn 1: Mountain, Jackal Pup
Turn 2: Pup attack (Opponent down to 18 life), Mountain, Mogg Flunkie
Turn 3: Mountain, Ball Lightning, attack with Ball, Pup & Mogg (Now 7 life)
Turn 4: Attack with Pup & Mogg (2 life) and Shock or Bolt for the kill.

I can't seem to manage a turn 3 kill,......yet. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's with the opponent being a goldfish, right? What are the chances someone else in the group will try to save him?

Killer Joe

Spiderman said:
That's with the opponent being a goldfish, right? What are the chances someone else in the group will try to save him?
Yes, goldfish, but the guy I'm going after has a deck that needs time to develop. He has tuned his deck to be anti-life gaining and that's how he's gotten me out the last several games. He's playing white but has very limited pro damage cards. He does play Syphon Soul alot and sometime on turn two due to his consistant turn one Sol Ring drop (he only owns two of them, too!).

As for someone trying to save him; I don't think so, he's the point leader by a mile and has killed everyone many times over. And since I haven't been an aggressor since late last year I can't see anyone trying to prevent me from taking him out. Honestly, I may get applause. :D

The cards I picked are very specific to trying to kill ONE person as quickly as I can as EARLY as I can. There is no middle and/or long game for me because once I burn him out no good can come from me staying in the game and I won't be able to burn everyone else out so I'll sitting back enjoying being the second player eliminated. ;)

M

Modus Pwnens

Is he allowed to play double Sol Ring? =O

You could try going with pulse of the forge, you might be able to burn someone else out with it in the "slightly longer" run :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
KJ: I was just wondering if someone might save him because he's a "nice guy" and obviously, that would put a wrinkle in your plans to eliminate him first :)

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Killer Joe said:
There is no middle and/or long game for me because once I burn him out no good can come from me staying in the game and I won't be able to burn everyone else out so I'll sitting back enjoying being the second player eliminated. ;)
If you want to prolong the inevitable, you could try to fit in some ensnaring bridges.

Killer Joe

I guess I just trying to let him know what it's like to be the first one out. Someone might try to save him but at this point I doubt it.

I really don't want to stay in 'the long game' because I'll be disgusted with myself by the time he starts his "Scoop Phase". :(

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Killer Joe said:
I really don't want to stay in 'the long game' because I'll be disgusted with myself by the time he starts his "Scoop Phase". :(
Why? To show the others what it's like to always be the target? I'm going to try the furnace dragon thing with the lattice thing....... It's not a winning combo, but man is it going to be fun........

Killer Joe

Mooseman said:
Why? To show the others what it's like to always be the target?
What do you mean? I want to show HIM what it's like to be the target all the time.

If you're going to do the Funace Dragon thing then I'll stay in the game longer just to see it go off. :D

*furnace dragon, furnace dragon, whatinthehell does it do again?,........*

Attachments

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I found a card for you vs stuffy doll.....
Runed Halo
Enchantment WW Shadowmoor (Rare)
As Runed Halo comes into play, name a card.
You have protection from the chosen name. (You can't be targeted, dealt damage, or enchanted by anything with that name.)