MML - Full English Breakfast

Killer Joe

What is the deck called Full English Breakfast? Read this article.

I have been looking for different ways to explore my inner Magic player and traditionally, at my core, I am a control deck player. The last several years I have made attempts to explore the other archetypes in Magic like combo or Aggro or a mix and match of all three and though I still haven't found exactly what else I like I think this deck may just what I've been looking for; it's blue-green (my favorite color combination), it has Tradewind Riders (my favorite creature of all time) and it challenges me to think a bit differently than I'm use to. The deck build below has lots of the original F.E.B. components but of course I added a few things of my own. * = from an original deck list I found (not the one in the article).

KJ's Full English Breakfast
Creatures (36)
1x Akroma, Angel of Wrath
4x Birds of Paradise *
4x Body Double
1x Elvish Lyrist *
1x Essence Warden
1x Eternal Witness
1x Gilded Drake *
1x Mystic Snake
1x Phage the Untouchable *
2x Phyrexian Dreadnaught *
1x Phyrexian Metamorph
2x Quirion Ranger *
1x Seedborn Muse
1x Spike Feeder
1x Spike Weaver
1x Squee, Goblin Nabob *
4x Tradewind Rider *
1x Uktabi Orangutan *
4x Volrath’s Shapeshifter *
4x Wall of Roots *
Other Spells (8)
4x Forbid
4x Survival of the Fittest *
Land (30)
2x Breeding Pool
9x Forest *
9x Island *
1x Misty Rainforest
1x Undiscovered Paradise *
4x Terramorphic Expanse
4x Tropical Island *

I am unfamiliar with the nuances of this deck & it feels awkward in my hands. I need some advice for playing this specific deck in a 5 to 6 player multiplayer game.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
One-shot kills with Volrath's Shapeshifter aren't so definitive when there are four more people to kill after you take one down. But Full English Breakfast decks don't go all in on a combo kill anyway, but include deadly interactions as part of a general Survival of the Fittest toolbox. If you go for kills right away, everyone is going to gang up on you. For a strong multiplayer take on this concept, I'd focus on defensive measures. Killing with Phage isn't the only possible use for your shapeshifters. You've already got the Tradewind Rider plan. Here are a some other idea...

Palinchron: Potential acceleration for Volrath's Shapeshifter. It's weird to think that a seven-mana card could be an accelerant, but hey, there it is. Use Survival to discard it and get Volrath's Shapeshifter, then play the Shapeshifter, which lets you untap up to seven lands, freeing up mana to use Survival of the Fittest more. If you have seven lands and one of them produces more than one mana, you can use Palinchron's other ability and get infinite mana, but with lands that only produce one mana at a time, you're just getting a small boost. The downside is that with fewer than seven lands, this isn't so great.

Simic Sky Swallower: Body Double or Volrath's Shapeshifter copies this guy and you have a pretty beefy deterrent to anyone who's thinking of messing with you.

Reya Dawnbringer: You can get creatures into the graveyard, so how about getting them back? This could help you take control of the board within a few turns.

Genesis: You're running a Survival deck. Might as well. Super cheesy repeatable Fog if you also have Spore Frog, but there are a lot of uses for Genesis.

Phantom Warrior: Possible setup for a kill with Volrath's Shapeshifter, but not necessary most of the time.

Akroma, Angel of Fury: I don't like her as much as the original, but she's definitely an option.

Kitchen Finks: A possible replacement for Spike Feeder

Man-o'-War: Tradewind Rider is eventually more convenient, but this is a faster option in tight spots.

Blazing Archon: Have fun attacking each other.

Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite: Just in case you want people with creatures to hate you.

Karmic Guide: Utility with Volrath's Shapeshifter. Copy the Karmic Guide and use its ability to retrieve something else that was deeper into the graveyard.

Wonder: Not as amazing as Genesis, but you could kill some people with this.

Hypnox: If you play Volrath's Shapeshifter while Hypnox is on top of your graveyard, you can exile someone's hand. If you then have Volrath's Shapeshifter copy something else, that hand is gone permanently. Your victim can only stop you by killing Volrath's Shapeshifter while it's still copying Hypnox, which is going to be hard to pull off with no hand. And at worst it's an 8/8 flier for your Phyrexian Metamorph or something.

Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker: Copy him with a shapeshifter, then get more stuff. Any stuff is good. If you also include Pestermite, you can create an arbitrarily large army of hasty tokens, but I hear some people look down on that sort of thing.

Iona, Shield of Emeria: A pretty powerful outlet for Body Double, but it might paint a target on your head.

Dryad Arbor: It's a land that's also a creature. Useful.

Murkfiend Liege: Thanks to Mooseman for the correction. U/G alternative to Seedborn Muse. Makes your blue creatures and green creatures bigger.

Trygon Predator: Removal seems like it would be good to have.

Battlefield Scrounger: One way to reuse creatures in your graveyard that are no longer on the top of it. There are other ways, but this one's pretty easy to pull off with Survival and Volrath's Shapeshifter.

Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur: Feeling neglected and want to be the biggest target at the table? Now you can!

Griselbrand: A little too easy.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Murkfiend Liege: More expensive than Seedborn Muse, but it would be amazing to see it in action.
Oh man, i thought there might be another one to add to my elf/triskalion deck, but this cost the same and doesn't get your lands or artifacts... but it is green/blue

Elesh Norn would be great if it was in black.......

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Oops, you're right. I can't count. Actually, I think I got Seedborn Muse mixed up with Dreamborn Muse, which does a different thing. Either way, both cost five mana. The Muse has a stronger untapping ability, but the Liege gives other creatures a passive boost too. I think I'd prefer Seedborn Muse in a Tradewind Survival deck, but both are good options. Anyway, I'd better fix that description.