Mindmaster Urza's Saga: Rakarth vs BigBlue

B

BigBlue

No Responses.

Untap, Attack w/ Acridian for 2, Play Exhume, Return the Cackling Fiend to Play, Play Intrepid Hero, Done after that (and probably dead very soon).

Rakarth:16 14?
Hand: 2 1?
In Play:

(T,U) Island x2
(T,U) Forest x2
(T,T,T,T) Swamp x4
(U) Plains

(Ench)Launch (Gains flying:return to hand if ~ is put into GY from play)

(T) Argothian Swine (3/3) - Trample - Ench w/ Launch
(T) Crazed Skirge(2/2) - Flying, Haste

Graveyard: Spire Owl, Wizard Mentor, Acridian, Veiled Sentry, Disruptive Student, No Rest for the Wicked, Hermetic Study, Sandbar Merfolk, Disenchant, Corrupt
RFG:

-------------------------------------

BigBlue: 8
Hand: 4
In Play:

(TU) Plains
(T) Island
(T) Forest
(TT) Swamp x2
(U) Mountain

(Ench) Rune of Protection: Black (W:prevent the next black source of damage to me.)

(T) Acridian (2/4; Echo 1G)
(S) Cackling Fiend (2/1; When ~ comes into play opponent discards a card)
(S) Intrepid Hero (1/1; T: Destroy target creature w/ power 4 or greater)

Graveyard: Unnerve, Arc Lightning, Spire Owl, Hush, Pendrell Flux, Cackling Fiend,Pendrell Drake, Hollow Dogs

RFG:

R

Rakarth

Take the damage and I'll have the Spire Owl back into play (useless library ability activates and does squat :p) and I'll discard Time Spiral. With the Spire Owl, does he suffer summoning sickness as he came into play during your turn, he still hasn't been under my control since my last upkeep has he?

Untap, Upkeep, Plains, Attack with the Swine, Response?. Done

Rakarth:14
Hand: 1
In Play:

(U,U) Island x2
(U,U) Forest x2
(U,U,U,U) Swamp x4
(U,U) Plains x2

(U) Crazed Skirge(2/2) - Flying, Haste
(U) Spire Owl (1/1) - Flying

Graveyard:Wizard Mentor, Acridian, Veiled Sentry, Disruptive Student, No Rest for the Wicked, Hermetic Study, Sandbar Merfolk, Disenchant, Corrupt, Time Spiral,
RFG:

BigBlue: 8 5?
Hand: 4
In Play:

(TU) Plains
(T) Island
(T) Forest
(TT) Swamp x2
(U) Mountain

(Ench) Rune of Protection: Black (W:prevent the next black source of damage to me.)

(S) Cackling Fiend (2/1; When ~ comes into play opponent discards a card)
(S) Intrepid Hero (1/1; T: Destroy target creature w/ power 4 or greater)

Graveyard: Unnerve, Arc Lightning, Spire Owl, Hush, Pendrell Flux, Cackling Fiend,Pendrell Drake, Hollow Dogs

RFG:

B

BigBlue

Are you also attacking w/ the Owl - you can because he did come in on my turn and is not subject to Summon Sickness...

R

Rakarth

That's what I was wondering, and yep I'll attack with him as well please.

B

BigBlue

No blockers...

Untap, Play Absolute Grace, Attack w/ Everything.

Edit - Adjusting my hand - I have 2 cards, not 3 cards)

Rakarth:14 9?
Hand: 1
In Play:

(U,U) Island x2
(U,U) Forest x2
(U,U,U,U) Swamp x4
(U,U) Plains x2

(U) Crazed Skirge(2/2) - Flying, Haste
(T) Spire Owl (1/1) - Flying

Graveyard:Wizard Mentor, Acridian, Veiled Sentry, Disruptive Student, No Rest for the Wicked, Hermetic Study, Sandbar Merfolk, Disenchant, Corrupt, Time Spiral,
RFG:

BigBlue: 4
Hand: 2
In Play:

(TU) Plains
(T) Island
(U) Forest
(UU) Swamp x2
(U) Mountain

(Ench) Absolute Grace (All creatures have protection from Black)

(T) Cackling Fiend (2/1; When ~ comes into play opponent discards a card)
(T) Intrepid Hero (1/1; T: Destroy target creature w/ power 4 or greater)

RFG:

R

Rakarth

Play my last card, Lull (Prevent all combat damage that would be done this turn) 1G

B

BigBlue

Nice... Good game, you had the better cards for sure, but you played them very well... I'm curious why you didn't discard the time spiral with the first discard since it's utterly useless? It could have been very chaotic had you played it - though I guess if I somehow had been trouncing you it might have helped...

I had Meltdown (useless) and Acidic Soil (which I could never get ahead of you on). I was hoping to make it a draw at the end, but alas, no luck there either.

In retrospect, I should have done all 3 to the swine w/ the lightning... I might have been able to pull it out then.

Now that we have our packs for the next one (I pick Heads) you can go ahead and start the thread... I got crap cards there too - I think these older sets before they started really trying to even things out are very random...

And Apprentice is killing me! :)

R

Rakarth

Thanks:) Yeh I did have a better hand to start with, and I didn't discard the Time Spiral as I wasn't sure about the creatures I had, I liked having it there as a reset button at the last moment if I was getting hammered.

Like if the Swine was killed by your Lightning I probably would have been mincemeat, it was the biggest creature I had and unless I got the No Rest For The Wicked in play then he wasn't coming back 'cept for a lucky Time Spiral.

Good game though, I'll start the new thread ASAP :D.

Rakarth

B

BigBlue

Wouldn't the Wizard mentor have helped tremendously?

I was shocked to see him go to the gy... never played with him, but bouncing your guy back as an instant (after damage goes on stack for example) would seem powerful if slow...

R

Rakarth

Hmmm, that probably would have helped...Doh! Oh well, it turns out I was lucky enough in the long run and didn't regret that. Sorry for being away so long, been a very full week at uni.

Rakarth