Mindmaster Magic 2011: Spidey vs Mooseman

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ha, you notice I forgot that part... all right, let's try this again.
EOT, I'll Bolt the Mage

Untap upkeep

Mt
Pacifism on your Hydra
Attack with the Serpent for 5
Stone Golem

Done

Spidey: 16
Hand: 6
Battlefield:

(T,T) Island x2
(T,T) Mt x2
(T,T) Forest x2
(T) Plains
(U) Drowned Catacomb (~ ETB tapped unless I control an Island or Swamp. T: Add U or B to my mana pool)

Pacifism (Enchanted creature can't attack or block)

(U) Azure Drake (2/4; Flying)
(U) Spined Wurm (5/4)
(U) Acidic Slime (2/2; Deathtouch; When ~ ETB, destroy target artifact, enchantment, or land)
(T) Harbor Serpent (5/5; Islandwalk; ~ can't attack unless there are five or more Islands on the battlefield)
(S) Stone Golem (4/4)

Graveyard: Lightning Bolt
Exile:

Mooseman: 15
Battlefield:

(U) Plains
(TTT)Island
(T) Swamp
(T) Mountain
(TT) Forest

Primal Cocoon (At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on enchanted creature.
When enchanted creature attacks or blocks, sacrifice Primal Cocoon.)

(U) Goldenglow Moth (0/1, Flying Whenever Goldenglow Moth blocks, you may gain 4 life.)
(U) Wall of Vines (0/3, Defender Reach )
(U) Elite Vanguard (2/1)
(U) Rotting Legion (4/5, EBF tapped)
(S) Protean Hydra (5/5, Protean Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
If damage would be dealt to Protean Hydra, prevent that damage and remove that many +1/+1 counters from it.
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is removed from Protean Hydra, put two +1/+1 counters on it at the beginning of the next end step. ) ~5 cntrs~ Cocooned *Pacified*

Graveyard: Mind Control, Blinding Mage
Exile:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Don't think it really changes much
UU counter on hydra
Naturalize the Pacifism
done

Battlefield:

(T,T) Island x2
(T,T) Mt x2
(T,T) Forest x2
(T) Plains
(U) Drowned Catacomb (~ ETB tapped unless I control an Island or Swamp. T: Add U or B to my mana pool)

(U) Spined Wurm (5/4)
(U) Acidic Slime (2/2; Deathtouch; When ~ ETB, destroy target artifact, enchantment, or land)
(T) Harbor Serpent (5/5; Islandwalk; ~ can't attack unless there are five or more Islands on the battlefield)
(S) Stone Golem (4/4)

Graveyard: Lightning Bolt, Pacifism
Exile:

Battlefield:

(U) Plains
(UUU)Island
(U) Swamp
(U) Mountain
(UU) Forest

Primal Cocoon (At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on enchanted creature.

(U) Goldenglow Moth (0/1, Flying Whenever Goldenglow Moth blocks, you may gain 4 life.)
(U) Elite Vanguard (2/1)
(U) Protean Hydra (6/6, Protean Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
If damage would be dealt to Protean Hydra, prevent that damage and remove that many +1/+1 counters from it.
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is removed from Protean Hydra, put two +1/+1 counters on it at the beginning of the next end step. ) ~6 cntrs~ Cocooned

Graveyard: Mind Control, Blinding Mage, Naturalize
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Boo...

Untap, upkeep

Smack you around with the Serpent.
Responses/blocks/take it?

Battlefield:

(U,U) Island x2
(U,U) Mt x2
(U,U) Forest x2
(U) Plains

(U) Spined Wurm (5/4)
(U) Stone Golem (4/4)

Exile:

Battlefield:

(U) Plains
(UUU)Island
(U) Swamp
(U) Mountain
(UU) Forest

(U) Elite Vanguard (2/1)
(U) Protean Hydra (6/6, Protean Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is removed from Protean Hydra, put two +1/+1 counters on it at the beginning of the next end step. ) ~6 cntrs~ Cocooned

Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's 5

Plains

Done
Battlefield:

(U,U) Island x2
(U,U) Mt x2
(U,U) Forest x2
(U,U) Plains x2

(U) Spined Wurm (5/4)
(U) Stone Golem (4/4)

Exile:

Mooseman: 10
Battlefield:

(U) Plains
(UUU)Island
(U) Swamp
(U) Mountain
(UU) Forest

(U) Elite Vanguard (2/1)

Exile:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
UU
Attack with Hulk
Repsonse/Block?

Battlefield:

(U,U) Island x2
(U,U) Mt x2
(U,U) Forest x2
(U,U) Plains x2

(U) Spined Wurm (5/4)
(U) Stone Golem (4/4)

Exile:

Battlefield:

(U) Plains
(UUU)Island
(U) Swamp
(U) Mountain
(UU) Forest

(U) Elite Vanguard (2/1)
(T) Protean Hydra (7/7, Protean Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is removed from Protean Hydra, put two +1/+1 counters on it at the beginning of the next end step. ) ~7 cntrs~

Graveyard: Mind Control, Blinding Mage, Naturalize, Primal Cocoon
Exile:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Thats 7
Done

Spidey: 9
Battlefield:

(U,U) Island x2
(U,U) Mt x2
(U,U) Forest x2
(U,U) Plains x2

(U) Spined Wurm (5/4)
(U) Stone Golem (4/4)

Exile:

Battlefield:

(U) Plains
(UUU)Island
(U) Swamp
(U) Mountain
(UU) Forest

(U) Elite Vanguard (2/1)
(T) Protean Hydra (7/7, Protean Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is removed from Protean Hydra, put two +1/+1 counters on it at the beginning of the next end step. ) ~7 cntrs~

Graveyard: Mind Control, Blinding Mage, Naturalize, Primal Cocoon
Exile:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
yes...... i lose.....
I could fling him, but it;s not enough to win
Why didn't you play any swamps..... I had a seampwalker that was useless.
I was hoping that you would block with the deathtouch guy......
My only chance was for you to make a mistake
my hand:

Foresee
Tome Scour
Bog Raiders
Pyroclasm
Fling

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Good game!

Wait, what would have happened if I blocked with my deathtouch guy?

I had a great pack with decent removal:

Crystal Ball - well, not so great
Blood Tithe
Excommunicate
Mighty Leap
Unsummon

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ciminies... I had no chance in that one
Since the deathtouch damage is replaced the hydra would have lost 2 counters and then gained 4 on it's next upkeep

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, see, I would have messed up on that one the first time (well, I guess I would have lost the guy) 'cause I thought it was like the Basilisk "stoning" effect and just had to block to take effect... dopey keywords :)