Mindmaster Legends: Spidey vs DarthFerret

D

DarthFerret

Why don't i just roll over and die for ya....i am playin horribly this round....

Yeah, as far as i am concerned, everything resolves....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Island
Wall of Vapor

Done

DarthFerret
Life: 11
Hand: 8

In Play:

(T,T) Swamp x 2
(T,T) Plains
(T,T) Forest x 2
(U,U) Island x 2
(T) Mountain

Enchant: Gaseous Form (prevent all combat damage dealt to and from <this>)

(U) Jacques le Vert (3/4, All green creatures I control gain +0/+2)
(U) Fallen Angel (3/3, flying, Sac a critter for +2/+1)

Graveyard: Vampire Bats, D'Avenant Archer, Emerald Dragonfly, Venarian Gold, Alabaster Potion
RFG:

Spiderman
Life: 16
In Play:

(T) Mt
(T,U) Forest x2
(U,U,U) Swamp x3
(T,U) Plains x2
(T) Island

(U) Emerald Dragonfly (1/1, flying, GG: ~ gains first strike ueot)
(U) Headless Horseman (2/2)
(U) Cat Warriors (2/2, forestwalk) **Gassed**
(T) Lord Magnus (4/3, first strike, creatures with forestwalk or plainswalk can be blocked as though they don't have it)
(U) Abomination (2/6, whenever ~ blocks or becomes blocked by a white or green creature, destroy that creature at end of combat)
(T) Ghosts of the Damned (0/2, T: Target creature gets -1/-0 ueot)
(S) Wall of Vapor (0/1, defender, Prevent all dmg that would be dealt to ~ by creatures it's blocking)

Graveyard: Pyrotechnics, Active Volcano
RFG:

D

DarthFerret

Untap, upkeep, Ichneumon Druid, Osai Vultures, done.

DarthFerret

In Play:

(T,U) Swamp x 2
(T,T) Plains
(T,T) Forest x 2
(U,U) Island x 2
(U) Mountain

(S) Osai Vultures (1/1, flying, gets counter when a creature bites the big one, remove 2 counters to gain +1/+1 until EOT)
(S) Ichneumon Druid (1/1, every instant spell beyond the first that opponent plays deals him 4 damage)

Graveyard: Vampire Bats, D'Avenant Archer, Emerald Dragonfly, Venarian Gold, Alabaster Potion
RFG:

Spiderman
In Play:

(T) Mt
(T,U) Forest x2
(U,U,U) Swamp x3
(T,U) Plains x2
(T) Island

(T) Lord Magnus (4/3, first strike, creatures with forestwalk or plainswalk can be blocked as though they don't have it)
(U) Abomination (2/6, whenever ~ blocks or becomes blocked by a white or green creature, destroy that creature at end of combat)
(T) Ghosts of the Damned (0/2, T: Target creature gets -1/-0 ueot)
(S) Wall of Vapor (0/1, defender, Prevent all dmg that would be dealt to ~ by creatures it's blocking)

RFG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep

Attack with Magnus
Responses/blocks?

DarthFerret

In Play:

(T,U) Swamp x 2
(T,T) Plains
(T,T) Forest x 2
(U,U) Island x 2
(U) Mountain

(S) Osai Vultures (1/1, flying, gets counter when a creature bites the big one, remove 2 counters to gain +1/+1 until EOT)
(S) Ichneumon Druid (1/3 due to Jacques, every instant spell beyond the first that opponent plays deals him 4 damage)

RFG:

Spiderman
In Play:

(T) Mt
(T,U) Forest x2
(U,U,U) Swamp x3
(T,U) Plains x2
(T) Island

(U) Ghosts of the Damned (0/2, T: Target creature gets -1/-0 ueot)
(U) Wall of Vapor (0/1, defender, Prevent all dmg that would be dealt to ~ by creatures it's blocking)

RFG:

D

DarthFerret

Block with Everything I got...(that will hopefully be enough to kill the guy...)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'll assign all of the first strike dmg to Jacques. I take it from your statement that first strike dmg can resolve?

D

DarthFerret

Not to be picky, but First Strike damage should still be classified as combat damage. Darkness has to be played before any combat damage is assigned, right?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It is combat dmg, but since first strike is involved, there's two combat dmg steps.

Maybe someone else could chime in?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
When the first strike damage resolves, the damage is applied and the creature killed by the damage is in the graveyard. THEN, normal damage goes on the stack.

In short, once damage has resolved, it cannot be prevented. As much as I hate to say it, Spidey wins out in this case.

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

DarthFerret

That is not what I was asking. I am thinking he cannot play the darkness, because we are already in the combat damage step. It states that it has to be played before combat damage phase....

L

Limited

Heck, you can even play Darkness during your end of turn step. I probably won't do anything, but there aren't additional rules for playing damage prevention spells. If a spell can only be played during a specific phase, it has to say so.

So, what Spidey did is correct (and nasty :))

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
DF, are you looking at the original wording for the card or something that says I should have played it before the combat dmg phase?

I'm done.

DarthFerret

In Play:

(T,U) Swamp x 2
(T,T) Plains
(T,T) Forest x 2
(U,U) Island x 2
(U) Mountain

(S) Ichneumon Druid (1/1, every instant spell beyond the first that opponent plays deals him 4 damage)

Graveyard: Vampire Bats, D'Avenant Archer, Emerald Dragonfly, Venarian Gold, Alabaster Potion, Jacques le Vert
RFG:

Spiderman
Hand: 7
In Play:

(U) Mt
(U,U) Forest x2
(T,U,U) Swamp x3
(U,U) Plains x2
(U) Island

(U) Ghosts of the Damned (0/2, T: Target creature gets -1/-0 ueot)
(U) Wall of Vapor (0/1, defender, Prevent all dmg that would be dealt to ~ by creatures it's blocking)

Graveyard: Pyrotechnics, Active Volcano, Darkness
RFG: