Methods of Deviation...

D

DÛke

Transcendent Union (U)
Sorcery
Each player takes the top 3 cards of his or her library and sets them aside face up.
For the remainder of the game, those cards may be played by any player.

THIS CARD IS VOID: too eccentric.
Chronicles Rippler (2UUU)
Sorcery
Return all permanents that came into play last turn and this turn to owner’s hand. All instants, other sorceries, and abilities played last turn and this turn are treated as if they never occurred. The same applies for non-activated abilities, effects, and all damage occurring from combat.

Psychic Bug (U)
Sorcery
Look at your opponent’s hand and choose a non-land card there.
For the remainder of the game, that card and all copies of it cost an additional 2 to play.

Reflection (3U)
Sorcery
Draw a card. Draw a card at end of your turn, at the beginning of your next upkeep step, and at the end of your next turn.

Nihilism (UU)
Sorcery
Return target permanent to its owner’s hand.
For the remainder of the game, the first permanent that comes into play after Nihilism had been played is returned to its owner’s hand.

Paranoia (3UU)
Instant
Counter target spell.
For the remainder of the game, the first spell cast after Paranoia had been played is countered.

Transitory Glitch (U)
Instant
Target spell doesn’t resolve.
For the remainder of the game, the spell’s caster may pay 4 to have that spell resolve.

Effects of Fantasy (2U)
Sorcery
Look at your opponents hand and choose a non-land card there.
For the remainder of the game, whenever a copy of that card is played, you may search your library for a card and put into your hand.

Essence Tap (1U)
Instant
Put an artifact, creature, land, or enchantment card from your hand into play, then return it to your hand.

Eternal Recurrence (1UUU)
Instant
Counter target instant or sorcery spell and remove it from the game.
For the remainder of the game, at the beginning of its casters upkeep, if all appropriate targets and conditions are in play, the effect of that spell takes place. (X in that spell is 0.)

Will to Power (2UU)
Enchantment
Creatures you don’t control gain +3/+3.
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Will to Power and gain control of all creatures.

Fantasma (1U)
Enchantment
Whenever an artifact, creature, or a land card comes into play, Fantasma loses this ability and becomes a copy of the card that came into play.(This effect doesn't end at the end of the turn.)

D

DÛke

Resentment (2BB)
Sorcery
Destroy target creature.
For the remainder of the game, the first creature that comes into play after Resentment had been played is destroyed.

Pessimism (3BB)
Sorcery
Each player’s life total becomes equal to the lowest life total.
For the remainder of the game, the first player to be dealt damage after Pessimism had been played loses 5 life.

Sense of Urgency (B)
Sorcery
Look at your opponent’s hand and choose a card there.
At the end of that player’s next turn, if that card is still in his or her hand, it is discarded.

Leap of Faith (BBB)
Sorcery
Your life total becomes 1.
At the beginning of your next upkeep, your life total becomes 20.

Lead Astray (B)
Sorcery
Your opponent draws 10 cards.

THIS CARD HAS CHANGED: SEE FURTHER DOWN.
Falling Eternal (3B)
Creature – Angel
Flying
At the beginning of your opponent’s upkeep, he or she gains 6 life.
7/5

D

DÛke

Unlocked Unconscious (BB)
Sorcery
Target player draws up to 5 cards.
At the beginning of your next upkeep, you lose 3 life for each card drawn this way.

Figments of Decay (1BB)
Enchantment
As Figments of Decay comes into play, your opponent loses 6 life.
At the beginning of your upkeep, your opponent gains 2 life.

Delusioned (B)
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gains +4/+0.
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice enchanted creature.

THIS CARD IS VOID: too lame.
Total Eclipse of the Hearts (3WW)
Sorcery
Each player’s life total becomes equal to all life totals added.

Bloodmoon Singer (RR)
Creature – Human Solider
First Strike
1R, tap: At the beginning of your next upkeep, Bloodmoon Singer gains +4/+0 until end of the turn. Play this ability only when you could play a sorcery.
2/1

Bloodmoon Warlord (2RR)
Creature - Human Warlord
Tap: tap any number of untapped creatures you control. At the beginning of your next upkeep, double the power of each creature that was tapped this way. Play this ability only when you could play a sorcery.
3/2

Lightning Clouds (R)
Sorcery
Lightning Clouds resolves at the beginning of your upkeep.
Lightning Clouds deals 3 damage to target creature or player for each spell on the stack.

Time Spill (U)
Sorcery
Each player skips his or her next 2 upkeeps.

Omnia (4U)
Creature – Elemental
Spells cost an additional 3 to play.
Whenever a spell is cast, sacrifice Omnia.
7/7

D

DÛke

Sets in the first block:
  • Adamie: Adamie the Eternal is in control - life always in stability yet progress. Man is equal to man. Life is fair. The perfect philosophy. Newborn dictators strive for power, which includes the overthrowing of Adamie. Combined forces, going by the name of The Conspirators - Red, Green, White, Blue, and Black strive to overthrow Adamie. Each color, however, has its own secret plan to overpowering the others and becoming the sole Lord. Each wants to preach its own doctrine.

Twilight of the Gods: Adamie falls in love with a young mistress Sarpentaine. Sarpentaine is one of the conspirators against Adamie. She, being the most manipulative and intelligent one, finds her way into Adamie's heart until she has uncommon influence over his decisions. Meanwhile, the other colors are shocked by Sarpentaine’s deviation from The Conspirators plotline, they attempt to warn Adamie from Sarpentaine’s influence, but by that time, Sarpentaine had already spoken to and convinced Adamie about how the others despise her; she also had informed Adamie of their plot, revealing their secret identities to him. Adamie overlooks the warnings of The Conspirators. Doom is at hand. The societies are in outrage and chaos. Confusion becomes law. Paranoia, fear, nihilism, hopelessness, blankness, schizophernia, madness, and pessimism are at all time high. Existence stands at the verge of nothingness.

Sarpentaine: At last, Sarpentaine moves in for the kill. Adamie is dead. Sarpentaine gains immediate control and power over the universal order. A tyrannical philosophy is implanted. An order of rank is created. No more is man equal to all others. Man is finally evaluated by his own talents. Slavery reintegrated into society. "Each to his own" is a motto. At the same time, a young child is born by the name of Reich. Underground prophets declare this child The Son of Destiny, that he will be the one to overthrow Sarpentaine by unforeseen means.
Sets in the second block:
  • Reich
    Twice-Born
    6th Factor
Sets in the third and final block:
  • Union
    Voyager
    Leap towards the Fall

D

DÛke

I played it for a while but...never thought there was a storyline, especially a one with this much religious, philosophical, and political undertones. Maybe on some superfluous, surface-level it's the same - but on the surface many things can appear similar. :D Besides, from my judgment, call it a self-absorbed one if you choose, my cards display a more creative, at times complex and refreshing newness to them. More than many past sets. I can bet more than Mirrodin even. :p Not to mention my naming of the cards and the sets...but I'll let the whole thread speak for itself from this point on...

One of the main focuses of the set is to provide the most playable legends to ever be printed. Especially within the first block, although the main concern is not legends, the quality of the legends and the involvement and influence they exert upon the entire block and future decks will only be felt as the card creation process develops. The goal is to make legends that have an impact value, legends that send waves of fear and trembling as they enter the game.

On for some cards:

First, a slight change of Falling Eternal -

Falling Eternal (3B)
Creature - Angel
Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, your opponent gains 6 life.
7/5

Burst of Energy (1R)
Sorcery
Burst of Energy doesn't resolve.
Whenever an instant or sorcery you control deals damage to a target, Burst of Energy resolves.
Add RRRRR to your mana pool.

Fatality (2R)
Sorcery
Fatality doesn't resolve.
Whenever an instant or sorcery you control deals 4 or more damage to a target, Fatality resolves.
Search your library for all copies of the last instant or sorcery card you played and put them into your hand, then shuffle your library.

<to be named> (2RR)
Creature - Legend
Haste, trample
<this> gains +1/+0 for each spell on the stack.
Spells you cast resolve at the beginning of your upkeep.
4/3

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
There was a storyline; why do you think you were supposed to fight the "five lords" of each color? It's just the beginning similarities struck me: one Guardian who's protecting the world, one outside Enemy who subverts and tricks the Five Lords into rebelling against the Guardian, the Guardian falling leaving the Five Lords to fight for supremacy between them.

Obviously it doesn't get into the nitty-gritty details and your second two items of the first block, but I was struck by the parallels. :)

D

DÛke

I never really "played" it in the sense that you might have played it. I had just got into the world of Magic, so I just played it against the computer-opponent. :)

Spiderman:

...one Guardian who's protecting the world, one outside Enemy who subverts and tricks the Five Lords into rebelling against the Guardian, the Guardian falling leaving the Five Lords to fight for supremacy between them.
It's not just one outside enemy - it's an enemy from each color. Sarpentaine, the one who subverts, is one of the five who "plays both sides," you could say. She's the model of the ideal politician. :D She originates as one of The Conspirators, but then rats them out to Adamie, all the while still playing The Conspirators, only, at that point, she's playing the game by herself, for herself. In fewer words, she subverts The Conspirators themselves, and undermines their plotline, but not out of “good will.” Again, as the "storyline" and cards go on, it would become obvious that she is the by every sense of the word only the most perfect politician. The most free spirited thing about all of this is how Sarpentaine will be portrayed as manupilative and egotistic, but still "something" about her justifies her actions, but what that thing is even I don't know, and will not know. She will attract sympathy, to be sure, but for no rational reasons...

More cards coming soon...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the Outside Enemy is unable to affect events in Shandalar due to a "shield", so he subverts the 5 Lords to due his dirty work for him (of course, they don't know that they're helping him). That's why I was struck when you said
The Conspirators - Red, Green, White, Blue, and Black strive to overthrow Adamie. Each color, however, has its own secret plan to overpowering the others and becoming the sole Lord. Each wants to preach its own doctrine.
Again, it's not exact of course, but the basic idea of 5 Lords fighting among themselves and against the Guardian was there :)

D

DÛke

Spiderman, well...I never paid attention to the story much. This one is more "political" than just fantasy. :)

Lunar Eclipse (2B)
Sorcery
Target permanent becomes a Swamp until end of the turn.
Add BBBBBB to your mana pool

THIS CARD IS VOID: too WotC.
Essence Reformation (2U)
Enchant Permanent
Enchanted permanent becomes a copy of target permanent. At the beginning of your upkeep, pay UUU or sacrifice Essence Reformation.

THIS CARD HAS CHANGED: DREAMS OF SOLITUDE: SEE FURTHER DOWN.
CHANCE TO BECOME VOID: too lame.
Solitude (3UU)
Instant
Draw 7-X cards, where X is the number of non-land permanents you control.

Will to Nothingness (4U)
Instant
Draw a card for each spell you have countered so far in the game.

THIS CARD IS VOID: too WotC.
Culture Clash (1UUU)
Enchantment
As Culture Clash comes into play, each player chooses a color and a land type, and returns all other permanents and lands not of the chosen type to owner's hand.
Each player may play only spells and lands of his or her chosen color and type.

R

Rooser

Hey, I'm using Lunar Eclipse as a card name for MY pretend block too!

Lunar Eclipse
1UB - Enchantment
Whenever a player discards a card, each of that player's opponent's may draw a card.

Solitude is too powerful, Culture Clash is an enchantment, and Essence Reformation is worded poorly.

For one, you should use "choose" instead of "target", as per usual with most cloning abilities("choose" gets around untargetable things, and won't trigger things that might trigger when targets are declared and, more importantly, "choose" lends itself to static abilities such as copying - you can't really be in a constant state of targeting, huh?), and it should probably also just be an enchantment that copies a permanent all by itself, much as copy artifact did. Why? Because what if the enchanted permanent becomes a copy of the Essence Reformation itself? Or any other local enchantment for that matter?

D

DÛke

Your Lunar Eclipse is alright, but seems average. As I have told few other members, I really have had it with average cards. I mean, we get average cards very often from WotC - perhaps that's one of the reasons I quit: after you play few sets, you've played the entire game. And let's face it, it's not really going anywhere. That's why when I look at the cards we make, the first thing I look for is...how beyond WotC it is. Again, although your Lunar Eclipse is in fact a great card that I believe can shake an entire environment, however - I could see it from WotC, which automatically places it on my "whatever" list. My Lunar Eclipse is completely different. If you think about it, it is one of the greatest cards Black could ever receive: notice how it momentarily shuts off any permanent, especially Artifacts and Enchantments, which Black has never been able to do with such ease. Notice how it can destroy any Enchant-<type> card. Notice how it can remove an annoying blocker for one turn. Notice how it can, actually, be used to give you seven Black mana instead of just six. It's as versatile a card could get. But not anywhere near broken. That's the type of creativity and richness I look for in the cards people make. Yet most people are stuck with WotC's rules, for some reason.

You're right about Solitude. Let me change it to fit the name better too:

Dreams of Solitude (UU)
Enchantment
At the end of any turn, if you haven't played any spells, draw a card.
At the end of any turn, if you have played any spells, discard a card.

You're also right about Culture Clash. When I first wrote it, it was an Instant, and then I forgot to change it to an Enchantment when I rewrote the text.

As for Essence Reformation, now that I look at it - I don't like it at all. So I'll just erase it. :)

Thanks!

Can't wait to see your cards, by the way.

D

DÛke

Deathsake Singer (5BB)
Creature - Avatar
Deathsake Singer gains -*/-*, where * is your life total.
20/20

Will to Death (4B)
Sorcery
Draw a card for each one life you have lost and paid so far in the game. (Only life paid and lost count this way, and not any form of damage.)

R

Rooser

Well if you're interested in my block, respond to my derelict post. I'm just feeling out some of my mechanics and want some feedback on those.

You'd probably really like my "Archive" mechanic.

EDIT: Technically there's a rules problem for your "Will to Death." All damage and life paid eventually translates into life lost, so the card doesn'twork they way you want it to as printed. Of course, most people would understand what you want the card to do, so maybe it's not a big problem.