Menacing Ogre

M

Mikeymike

Poor man's Skizzik, I like this guy a whole lot.

Menacing Ogre
Creature - Ogre
3RR ON(R)
Trample, Haste. ; When ~this~ comes into play, each player secretly chooses a number. Then those numbers are revealed. Each player with the highest number loses that much life. If you are one of those players, put two +1/+1 counters on ~this~.
3/3

Anyone have any Multi-player strategies with this guy, either in synergy with other cards or by play strategy:

I'm thinking of bidding 3 life just about everytime. If I tie and win, both my opponent's and I lose 3 life (or only I lose the 3), and I get my 5/5. If I lose I still get a 3/3 trampling/haste and they lose 4+ life.

In terms of a decklist, I just want to use him as a mean beat-down machine. As a 5/5, he's a force to be reckoned with.

This is a really creative card, kudos to WotC.

T

train

Transcendence... or if your opponents don't want you getting the counters... False cure on them...

:eek:

I believe this would be cool either way...:cool:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What would Transcendence do, just be a bonus to actually gaining twice the life when you win the bid?

R

rkoelsch

I know this guy is a beating in duel. I don't know how he would be in Multiplayer. I been beat on by this guy and 3 seems like the right number. I had guessed 3 also and we both went down 3 and he still got his 5/5. guess I will have to say 4 next time

T

train

Well - you wouldn't gain twice the amount, just what you bid. But you can then not be afraid to bid a high number and get counters and life... either way your opponent is screwed...

M

Mikeymike

I know this guy is a beating in duel. I don't know how he would be in Multiplayer. I been beat on by this guy and 3 seems like the right number. I had guessed 3 also and we both went down 3 and he still got his 5/5. guess I will have to say 4 next time
I picked up 4 of these guys for a measly $2 on ebay, and that is still the going rate. $0.50 for a new rare usually means its a complete junk rare - and I just don't understand how that applys to this guy. He is a freaking house.

I bet the problem is that he still requires an element of luck, so most people don't want to bother. Fine by me, I'll pick up some more until people start to wise up.

R

rkoelsch

do they ever? I sold a Vindicate and Caves of Koilos for $4 for both. Oh well.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by train
Well - you wouldn't gain twice the amount, just what you bid. But you can then not be afraid to bid a high number and get counters and life... either way your opponent is screwed...
Well, gain twice as much as after you resolve the loss of life from the bid, so you end up with your original life plus your bid.

Which means you can't bid over 9 if you have 10 or more life, right? Unless you plan on getting rid of Transcendence before it triggers....

T

train

Which is entirely possible!!! I'll bid 50!!! let the ogre resolve, transcendence triggers, disenchant before the trigger resolves.... yeah buddy!!!;) :cool: :eek:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You mean when Transcendence's life gain triggers, or it's game end triggers?

And I don't think you can bid 50 life unless you have 50 life... you can only bid as much as you have (like paying life as a cost in general)

T

train

When the life gain ability would trigger, that's essentially what it is...

And you can basically bid 50 - The wording on the card says to choose a number... at that time it does not refer to your life total and how it would compare to your life total... it's just a number...

And even so... you probably could say* 50, because for purposes of forsaken waste rulings already in existence... you keep track of life even if it goes negative...:)

I'll go ask someone just to make sure... I think this would be really strong for MM if this is the way it would work...:)

* - changed from bid to say...

J

Jigglypuff

I'm weighing in here at train's request.

You can pick any number you like. Menacing Ogre causes you to lose life, not pay life. I don't know what else to say. There it is.

(- Steve -)

T

train

Okay Spidey... I asked Puff, cause I wasn't quite sure, but it should be figured out...

I was just looking for an actual ruling... I wanted to make sure before we told MM to go and try this...

Not bad on the response time Puff!!! It'd be easier if you had a sprint PCS digital phone with text messaging though - I'll see if the CPA could get some of those for you and EricBess and CT...;) :p

Okay Mikeymike... with the right stuff in play - you can bid anything you like!!! That way you always get your fattie!!!...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, go figure... I guess it would be good with Transcendence, although you need some time to set this up, with both being high cc and double colored mana...

I just looked on CrystalKeep about the Ogre and it says you have to pick an integer (aside from being zero through a positive number). Now what dopeyhead wants to pick a fraction or decimaled number in the first place? :rolleyes:

T

train

Integer also means you could pick a negative number...:eek: then your opponent would always lose... but how would that work with Transcendence...:confused:

Edit - just checked D'Angelo's - it has to be positive...

But what would a negative number do with Transcendence?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It probably wouldn't trigger Transcendence since you're "gaining life" (unless you went over 20). Same as if you cast Stream of Life or something.

T

theorgg

Who would pick a fraction?

Well, since all fractions round up now, Dwarven Catapult can effectivly be a 1 R Instant Tremor...

I've also played goblin game with somone who wrote the number 33 1/3 on a piece of paper for the Goblin Game...

However, he said it was a total of two things, the paper, and the ink. To quote Rizzo: Heh.