Member to member communication.

D

DarthFerret

Hey, this is mainly to all the administrators (or at least to the ones that make the BIG decisions). What are the chances of having a java chat client on-site? (or any other type of chatroom?). That way members on at the same time could chat to each other rather than relying on PM's or posts. I do not feel that this would take away from any of the posting, because most of the time I am here, there are not many people on, but it would still be kinda neat to be able to chat directly with a user.

Just a thought!

O

orgg

There ~IS~ a chatroom, but it's not been used for quite some time.

You can find the link on the front page.

D

DarthFerret

Maybe, to increase use of it, there could be a window of time sloted once a week (probably a weekend) that could be allocated for some members, and administrators also, to meet. Just to get the ball rolling?

or we could do a poll to see if anyone would visit it first!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure why you need to set up a "special time" to "increase the use of it". If you find someone on the forums the same time you are, send them a PM to meet in the chatroom. If you want to set up a particular time with someone(s), do it beforehand.

There's not a whole lot of people on the forums at once anyway, so the latter option is probably best.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
No, I'm not behind a firewall. I think it was just some bug in the computer I was using at the time or something. I haven't tried it on a different computer so I'm not sure...

D

DarthFerret

Tip, clean out computer occasionally so no bugs reside there. Ants, moths, and roaches do not mix with electronics.

Eating at computer makes haven for bugs (banquet).

LOL

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by Oversoul
No, I'm not behind a firewall. I think it was just some bug in the computer I was using at the time or something. I haven't tried it on a different computer so I'm not sure...
also try clearing out your computer with stuff like Ad-Aware and spybot.

Oh, and update your java chatroom program.

Ferret

Staff member
I wouldn't mind chatting occasionally, but I'm usually 8-11 hours ahead of most of the users, so you'd more than likely be asleep durring the rare hours I can get online...

-Ferret

"A real American Hero! G.I. Ferret is there!"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Nightstalkers
also try clearing out your computer with stuff like Ad-Aware and spybot.

Oh, and update your java chatroom program.
Yeah, I had accumulated so much spyware on that thing. It's gone now though...

D

DarthFerret

If you need a good FREE spyware killer, get Spybot - Search and Destroy 3.1

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

A IT consultant at HP gave the addy to me, and so far it has kept my computer adware free.....plus, the good point is that it costs you nothing.

It was designed by a guy whose girlfriends computer crashed due to spyware, so he made it, then made it availible to the public because he is one of the few people left not worried about profit.

N

Nightstalkers

Stupid question: Why not use an instant messaging service to talk to each other?

D

DarthFerret

I cannot because I refuse to use AOL IM, ICQ, Yahoo, or anything other than MSN Messenger....

BtW...if anyone wants me to add them, PM me your addy and will be added as soon as I can get to it!

I will also PM you mine as well....

Ferret

Staff member
I've tried all of those. Each one has their advantages, but eventually I start making friends that hover over their browsers waiting to talk to me, so I just stop using it. MSN was great when I had a night job doing website tech support because I could chat w/ my wife all night. Yahoo was nice because I was playing The Sims Online and it helped me keep up w/ some of the other folks I was playing with and AIM is just plain easy to use. ICQ took too much space (on my screen, hard drive, and bandwidth) and I stopped using it for a mont.

-Ferret

"I just prefer email - that way I can talk at a time of MY choosing..."