MBC6 Mungha Deck (Anti-Rising Waters)

L

luke twigger

Here's my answer to Rising Waters, a deck that uses Mungha Wurm so hopefully is set up to cope with not untapping its lands. This is an MBC6 deck but could turn into Type 2 with some Cradles, Rofellos, Priests of Titania, Fertile Ground, etc.

4 Mungha Wurm

6/5 for 4 mana is great, despite the drawback.

16 Forest

You obviously need some land cards to drive this thing...

4 Moss Diamond
4 Horn of Ramos
4 Vine Trellis
4 Llanowar Elves

...but having a few artefact and creature sources of green mana won't hurt either.

4 Wild Growth

So I can only untap one land? Fine, I'll untap the one with all the enchantments on it thanks.

4 Silverglade Elemental
4 Thresher Beast

Here's a couple of handy fatties - one helps out your own mana situation, the other hurts your opponent's mana base if they block.

4 Animate Land
4 Living Lands
4 Vitalize

Now here's a trick! Turn lands into creatures, then untap them!

So, what do you think? Have I over-compensated and included too many mana cards? I was wondering about using Ashnod's Altar and/or Food Chain as an alternative mana source? Any suggestions (preferably keeping to MBC6)?

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
AFAIK, animated lands are still counted as lands, so I don't think they'll untap normally during your untap phase, er, step. I could be wrong, but I don't think their animated status changes that.

Bummer, huh? :(

Considering the CC's of your creatures, I'd say your mana mix is about right, though I'd probably recommend a few more Forests and a few less Mana artifacts. I understand you constructed the deck as a counter to Rising Waters, but it seems to me that A) Most Rising Waters decks will include Counters, and creature control elements, so casting a fattie won't neccessarily net you a fattie, and since you need to build your mana resources for the casting they'll have a chance to stock up on ways to stop it, and B) Unless everyone else is packing Rising Waters decks, making an anti-Rising Waters deck that's too focused on stopping Rising Waters would probably be a mistake.

I've always thought that speed, and low CC creatures would be the way to beat a Winter Orb/Rising Waters type deck. Being able to do things that require 1-3 mana (with elves, etc.) makes it so that they can't stock up in between your castings.

After playing FoR on Apprentice the other day, and with him only having MBC6 decks prepared to play, I went ahead and made a Green deck that's MBC6 compliant for when/if we get a chance to play again. I think it would do pretty well against Rising Waters...

MBC6 Stampygeddon

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Vine Trellis
4 Elvish Archers
4 River Boa
4 Chimeric Idol
4 Mungha Wurm
4 Seal of Strength
4 Giant Growth
4 Wild Might
4 Armageddon
2 Disenchant
11 Forest
7 Plains

It seems to goldfish turn 4-6, though I'd imagine on an ideal draw it could be faster. The idea for it came from Chaos Turtle, who told me about his version of the deck a couple weeks ago. It's probably not exactly the same as his, but it's close enough so that he should get the credit. I know it's a sitting duck for a Wrath/Mageta setup, but the Chimeric's should help with that, and, theoretically, your opponent won't be alive long enough to do it.

L

luke twigger

Agreed, animated lands are still counted as lands, so they won't untap normally during the untap phase. But the point I was trying to make was that they will all untap when I cast Vitalize (G, Untap all creatures you control).

I guess Birds of Paradise would have gone ideally in this deck, though sadly I don't own any :-(