MBC (NOT 6) Ponza

D

Daenen

Arena Night out here in St. Louis is on Wednesdays. Each season lasts for 5 weeks. You play as many 3-game matches as possible. For every match you win, you get 2 points, but if you loose, you still get 1 point. After 10 points, you get a foil Saga land.

Each of the seasons has a format that is not usually played in tournaments. The last format was Goblin Wars. Here are the rules:

NO HATE CARDS!! (Engineered Plague, etc.)
Extended Format
Minimum 30 creatures of one type (Faeries, Goblins, Clerics, etc.), split between sideboard and mainboard.

The person who won the last format was the store Manager, Scott, who played a really evil Black/Green Beast deck.

Anyway, this season is Block Party. You pick any one block:

Ice Age Block
Mirage Block
Rath Cycle
Saga Block
Masques Block

I have a couple of decks completed right now, but they are not as good as I want them to be. The deck that I really want to play is this:

4 Stone Rain
4 Squee
2 Seismic Mage
3 Latula, Keldon Overseer
4 Arc Mage
3 Kris Mage
4 Seal of Fire
4 Rhystic Lightning
2 Two-Headed Dragon
2 Tectonic Break
2 Flowstone Overseer

4 Sandstone Needle
22 Mountain

I know that Ports would be good in this, but I don't have any, and they are banned in Masques Block anyway.

If anyone can help me, please do. Thank you very much for your time.

G

galtwish

I'd really recommend agaist this deck for a block party environment. Counterspells and CoP:Red are going to be very common. Rath Cycle is probably the best place to pick a deck from, but Ice Age necro is really good as well. david Price went 3-0 at the invitational with it. here's a rough list

4 Dark Ritual
4 Contagion
4 Knight of Stromgald
4 Abyssal Specter
4 Demonic Consultation
4 Necropotece
4 Soul Burn
2 Mind Warp
4 Incinerate
2 Pillage
4 Sulferous Springs
2 Mountians
16 Swamp
2 Lake of the Dead

SB
4 Dystopia
2 Mountian
3 Anarchy
4 Pyrokinesis
2 Lava Burst

or a B/U control deck, a Hatred deck, or a Recurring Nightmare deck from Rath cycle.

B/U control
4 Counterspell
4 Mana Leak
2 Forbid
4 Whispers of the Muse
2 Capsize
3 Thalakos Drifters
2 Silver Wyvern
4 Horned Turtle
4 Tradewind Rider
4 Diabolical Edict
3 Lobotomy
4 B/U land
4 Reflecting Pool
4 Wasteland
16 Island
4 Swamp

SB
3 Perish
4 Hammerhead Shark
4 Chill
4 Legacy's Allure

that isn't exactly right, but it's pretty good. For Masques red ld, here's the best tune-up I can offer

4 Seal of Fire
4 Stone Rain
4 Arc mage
4 Tangle Wire
4 Tectonic Break
4 Devistate
4 Cave-In
4 Flowstone Overseer
4 Heart of Ramos
4 Sandstone Needle
2 Rath's Edge
3 Dust Bowl
15 Mountian

SB
4 Flameshot
4 Thunderclap
4 Distorting Lens
3 Flowstone Slide

You just face too much quick offence from other blocks, especially Sligh from Rath and Stompy from Urza's. Additionally, Wildfire and Bargian generally go off too fast for you, while defensive Rath decks have too many counters for you. Your reall hope is to Rain, then Break big and hope they don't recover too quickly.

Good Luck,
Erik

I

Istanbul

...none of these decks WORK, because you have to have at least 30 creatures themed to one type.

4x Mogg Fanatic
4x Mogg Flunkies
4x Mogg Raider
4x Mogg Bombers
4x Mogg Maniac
4x Mob Justice
2x Mogg Infestation
4x Shock
3x Lightning Blast
3x Rathi Dragon
4x Cursed Scroll (are these banned in Rath block?)
20x Mountain

SB:
4x Mogg Conscripts
4x Mogg Maniac
2x Mogg Squad
1x Rathi Dragon
4x Pandemonium

[Edited by Istanbul on June 27th, 2000 at 03:46 PM]

Y

Y The Alien

Tag Guard

He said that Goblin Wars was the format the last time. Now they're playing Block Party.