Martyrs of Korlis

K

krichaiushii

Look! A card that isn't type 2! Huzzah! Pardon the lengthy card text, after all, they were still learning then...

Martyrs of Korlis (Antiquities)
(Signed by artist Margaret Organ-Keen)
3WW
Creature - Bodyguard

Unless Martyrs of Korlis is tapped, any damage done to you by artifacts is instead applied to Martyrs of Korlis. You may not take this damage yourself, though you may prevent it if possible. No more than one Bodyguard of your choice can take damage for you in this manner each turn.

1/6

Okay, now what goes well with the Martyrs? Armageddon Clock,
Copper Tablet, Purging Scythe, and Mana Vault(?) all deal artifact damage which I would rather avoid. I don't know Masques cycle on up well enough for any other cards.

Artifact Ward, Scars of the Veteran, and innumerable other white instants and enchantments prevent/redirect damage from/to the Martyrs. Which would be best?

What synergistic evil could come of a deck built around the Martyrs and normally painful artifacts? Ankh of Mishra and Armageddon, perhaps? With or without Mana Vault and Storm Cauldron? Enlightened Tutor, no doubt.

Being myself, I would most likely stick this in a MP deck, probably with R or U as a secondary color.

After some responses, this will (hopefully) graduate to a rough decklist on the Decks Forum. Who knows, maybe I'll find some victims... er opponents to play it against!

Cheers!

R

rkoelsch

You can make it even better with some more white cards
Angelic Curator (protection from artifacts)
Cho Manno Revolutionary and Pariah
Fountain Watch or Hanna's Custody or Spectral Guardian to protect your artifacts. I will have to look into what artifacts to use.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Purging Scythe is damage to the lowest toughest creature, so that's not going to work (unless you're counting on the high toughness of the Martyrs to deflect it from affecting you).

Since you're considering red, you can use creature sweepers like Earthquake, Pyroclasm, and the like and the Dingus Staff. Also use pro-red creatures that's available to Red and White (Keeper of Kookus, Ivory Guardians, that sort of thing).

Or keeping with Armageddon, you could go red for LD and Dingus Egg.

K

krichaiushii

I swear that there is an artifact that does the following:
Paraphrased, of course - it deals 2 damage to whomever has 5 or fewer life points during upkeep. I could have sworn it was Purging Scythe. What card am I thinking of?!

Or have I hallucinated the whole card?

I'm leaning towards the LD myself. I just really like R/W decks.

R

rkoelsch

Razor Pendulum
Color=Artifact Type=Artifact Cost=4 MI(R)
Text(MI): At the end of each player's turn, if that player has 5 or less life, ~this~ deals 2 damage to him or her.

Happens to the best of us. don't let it get you down.

K

krichaiushii

Well, that is what I meant then. Purging Scythe just sounds so much cooler, is all...

Thanks.