Marath card alteration ideas

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Hi guys,

I'm considering getting Marath, Will of the Wild altered as the new general for one of my commander decks. This is a bit of an investment, so I want to think this through. The downside... I'm a bit short on inspiration. One of the ideas is a DC superhero or villain, but I have a bit of a problem finding one that suits the cards abilities: shooting, making tokens and growing stuff. The cause of this problem is that I haven't read a comic in 15 years ;) Suggestions are more than welcome!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Marvel is definitely better :)

There's not that many who can do all of that stuff though. The best I can think of is Dr. Strange, since he's a sorceror. Maybe Dr. Doom, if you want to do villains.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Green Goblin or maybe HobGoblin used guns, made lots of pumpkins/jackolanterns and I think grew some stuff too.
Doom is a good choice.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
I was already considering dr. Doom. After you mentioned it I read up on him, but it seems as if he'd fit sooner on a blue/black card. His minions are robots, and that is very far from the elements/elementals Marath is wielding. Other options I have are Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy. At least Poison Ivy is mainly green, so that doesn't seem so bad. If I rephrase the question to "what superhero/villain" would you associate with red, white and green", does that make it easier?

As for whether Marvel is better than DC: only the big comics were easily available when I grew up. So for me it's mainly Spiderman, X-men, Superman and Batman. That doesn't make them better obviously.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Heh.

I'm growing on the idea of Poison Ivy, but I'm associating her with Glissa the traitor (because that's one of my other generals). I figured out that Darkseid would fit with Marath's abilities, but he looks pretty lame. And there's the Anti-Monitor. Seems like the ultimate bad guy.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hm. I didn't know color mattered, I was going by the card's abilities. I really can't think of anyone that is "red, white, and green" - there's not a lot of "green" heroes *or* villains in Marvel, let alone have red and white traits too.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I suppose how much color matters for the flavor of this is up to personal interpretation, but it sure seems like a hero named Swamp Thing whose entire body is green and plant-like and who lives in a swamp wouldn't be a white and red card.

R

rokapoke

I dunno, I didn't even look up the card. I just saw "growth" in the desired properties, and that's what came to mind.