Magnify the Pain

L

Limited

So, some major changes.

I've decided not to try to make the Pain Magnification/ Megrim/ Furnace of Rath combo work; it doesn't really mash well with Demons and Ogres. I don't want some stupid 2/2 to be able to kill my Gutwrencher Oni in combat, because I want to play a Furnace.

Now that we are no longer looking to assemble a combo, I can drop the Magma Jets. Sure, its a great card, but I need stuff that deals three or more damage.

Next, I need a mono-red creature. Just too many creatures with protection from black :(

Here goes

OgreDemons.dec said:
Creatures (23)
4x Gutwrencher Oni
4x Jagged Poppet
4x Ogre Marauder
3x Ogre Recluse
4x Scourge of Numai
4x Takenuma's Bleeder
Spells (15)
3x Barbed Lightning
4x Chain of Plasma
4x Pain Management
4x Rakdos Signet
Lands (22)
9x Mountain
4x Rakdos Carnarium
9x Swamp
Couple of things I am worried about:
Do Chain of Plasma and Jagged Poppet go together? Won't people throw away a card just to have me dump my entire hand? Is this bad?
Doesn't Chain of Plasma also give my opponents an easy way to deal with my Ogres, making sure my Demons hurt me during my upkeep?
Does the deck need artifact removal? Which artifact removal spell should I consider?

I'll keep you posted on games I play with this deck.

L

Limited

Last night, i played a couple of games with this deck, but unfortunately it was just a one-on-one game so I couldn't use the Pain Magnification the way I intended to (to make it attractive for opponents to attack each other) but it still worked pretty good.

The Good
Ogre Recluse: What a total beatstick! Even in a game versus a deck with instant buyback spells (Mind Games) it totally rocked. My opponent was forced to keep four mana open to tap one of my attackers, and thus also tap the Recluse, or he had to take a lot of damage. This meant that he hardly had any mana to do anything else (play blockers) until the Pain Magnification made him discard the Mind Games.
Did I mention it has four toughness?
Ogre Marauder: Especially with the added instant burn, this is a great way of dealing three damage to an opponent.
Rakdos Signet: What? The signet is good? Yes it is! Around Kamigawa block I had an Ogre Demon deck that relied on Wayfarer's Bauble for mana acceleration; the difference between the bauble and the signet is very small, but in order to play a turn three Ogre Recluse or Scourge of Numai, the bauble has to be amoung the top 8 cards of your deck, and the signet amoung the top 9. And yet, somehow I remember seldomly dropping a wayfarer's bauble on turn one, but i had a lot of turn two signets last night.

The bad
Jagged Poppet: i love the fact that its a 3/4 for only three mana and that people are always fearing you might have some trick to discard your hand when they let it through unblocked. (Twice I played Chain of Plasma on it when it wasn't blocked, so that me and my opponent were both left empty handed).
But it gets blocked. A lot. And one of the main problems with a deck like this is that it runs out of gas and you'd better have your opponent on his back heels when you do (is this english? nevermind). Each time an opponent chumpblocks the Poppet, he loses a creature, but I lose one or two cards. It's usually one of the last cards I play, but perhaps the deck doesn't need four.

The Ugly
Well, it is an Ogre Demon deck, so none of them are really pretty :D

The Question(s)
Should I drop the Jagged Poppet for other cards? Perhaps exchange one for another Ogre Recluse? or a fourth Barbed Lighting? Jorael suggested O-Naginata (that lovely equipment from Saviors that has "O-Naginata can be attached only to a creature with 3 or more power. Equipped creature gets +3/+0 and has trample.") but should I cut creatures to add Equipment? It would make a lovely one drop..

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Limited said:
and you'd better have your opponent on his back heels when you do (is this english? nevermind).
Well, it's English, but the more known variation would probably be either just "on his back" or "... have your opponent up against the wall" :)

Tag Guard

J

jorael

Who did you play against?

Would you dare to play Drooling Ogre?

L

Limited

I have considered Drooling Ogres, but it would definitely require more artifacts. I could add the O-Naginata, but I'd really need some artifact lands and I am always a bit hesitant to play those.

But, more importantly, the keycards for this deck (now) are Ogre Recluse and Ogre Marauder, which together don't really combine with the Drooling Ogre. If someone steals it during their turn, I'd want to play an artifact to get it back during my turn, before they can sacrifice it to the Marauder, but in doing so I'd tap my Recluse.

(I played against Job, btw)

Z

Zwelgje

Did he tell you I (Job) was mana screwed? But I really liked the deck, even though I wasn't winning at all.