Magic vs. Pokemon? Who will win?
How will Magic win?
Just want to see what everyone thinks.

"To make peace with the forest, make peace with me."
-Multani to Urza

M

Mundungu

Pokemon has started dying already.

From a work colleague that has kids under 10 I know that most of the kids in that age stop having interest.

Pokemon articles start to get discounted in stores.

There are pokemon cards in stock and the boxes dont seem to empty very quickly for what I could see.

No more pokemon players to come to play at the store

Might be local but here it sure is

Killer Joe

I really think of it as "Pokemon-THEN-Magic" instead of Pokemon vs. Magic. The compleity that MTG has is far superior than Pokemon, and it should be, I mean after all, pokemon was meant to target 8 16 year olds.

O

Ophidian

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss! I really hate pokemon. They took over the best gaming store around my home (Gathering Ground), and I can never find anyone up there with a magic deck. I did once, recently, though. They had boxes and boxes lined up on a table, and they were playing spades. Weird.

A

Almindhra

...Well...I play Pokemon....*no, don't hit me!*

Yes, I play it...But my interest has waned down...I've stopped going to the Pokemon league every week...And my boyfriend plays it too...And we just bought some packs of their new set...( we got the 1st edition ultra rare too )...But, anyway...

It probably will die out soon...I know my sister has lost interest in it...But the cards are really going for a lot...And I think Charizard is worth more than a Black Lotus...And Magic has been around longer...

But Magic strikes people who are generally older...And I think old habits die hard...So their more inclined to stick with the ccg...

~Almindhra
http://sites.netscape.net/almindhraromeo/start.html

G

Gryphonclaw

The key here is the psychology of the audience. The majority of pokemon players are from 10 to 18, approximately, where as Magic works more in the 15 to 50 category, with a large concentration around the 20's.

The thing is that pokemons audience is changeable, and ironically people with a very small attention span. The entire pokemon thing will be gone in several years, or at least have died down to almost extinction, especially if another fad comes out.

The audience for magic, on the other hand, is mostly people who are both resistent to 'fad' and set in their ways. Magic has a lot more depth to it, and so do the players. This will ensure a continuing popularity, unless Wizards continues to screw the game as badly as they have done in the past. They seem to be getting better though.

So while pokemon will have a higher pinnacle of interest, magic will endure on a lower level much longer.

S

Spaceman Spiff

magic...magic....MAGIC....magic....magic....
:p

[Edited by Spaceman Spiff on April 25th, 2000 at 04:03 PM]

D

Duel

Stolen from Inquest Magazine:
" You go to the local card shop and find it overrun by pokemon players. You...
A: Shout "Go Raichu" and join in.
B: Sit off to the side, silently, cradling your Sengir vampire and saying "It'll be all right."
C: Stand up on the table, and, yelling loudly, try and convert them to the one true CCG.
D: Go home and find that method of making pipe bombs before they leave."

Thought you should look. What did you answer?

M

Multani

I'd answer b,c, and d.

"To make peace with the forest, make peace with me."
-Multani to Urza

G

Gryphonclaw

I choose
e: Challenge them to a game of magic vs pokemon, then wipe them out with a black white terror/swords/reprisal etc. deck. :)

G

GreatGoatGuy

Ok first i would rig the buiding with explosives and then i would hold all the kids hostage... I would only let them go if the Canadian/American armies would destroy all pokemon products!!!!

[Edited by GreatGoatGuy on April 28th, 2000 at 07:06 PM]

L

linsivvi

alright now, lets just assume everyone that plays magic is 15-20. (quote Gryphonclaw) I am 13 and I have played for 2 years. Hmmph.

I

Istanbul

Depending on my mood, either B or C. A lot of kids just don't care enough to even look at Magic...then I do B. But if some kids are old enough and look like they MIGHT be interested in Magic, I'll skim through some of my decks conspicuously. Anyone who comes over and asks me, "What's that?" is a potential convert, and it's my job to help them to upgrade.

A

Almindhra

I was playing the new Outburst ( game where you have a topic and have to guess ten things that pertain to it within a time limit )...And my partner and I got Kids Card Games...So we did the general Old Maid, War games...But then we were astonished at what was on there!

Magic the Gathering

What a surprise!...I guess the game has really gone mainstream

M

magicman_moe

well claw is right. challenge em all to a game and
unleash a fireball of holy hell upon charizard and that damn pikachu.
or just disintagrate the pikachue that sounds like fun.
or just go
channel+fireball= very good laugh

M

Multani

Tag Guard

Any Dragon from Magic Power 4 and up vs. Charizard
No contest. :)
Urza vs. Mew
Lets see... Urza casts multiple creatures and aims Mew.
a. creatures destroys Mew
b. Mew tries to take control of creatures but Urza sacrifices them.
c. Mew tries to control of Urza. Urza counters his ability and then casts a spell which take out Mew and planeswalks away....
Multani vs. Mewtwo
Mewtwo enters jungle. Vines suddenly tie him up. Trees block his way, elves hit him with multiple arrows, waters rise,etc....
Then, the great Multani smashes Mewtwo INTO the ground and melts back into the forest.
So as you can see, Pokemon never was nor will ever be a match for Magic. :D
Thus concludes this discussion....
(Ed, could you close this thread?)

I

Istanbul

First of all, recognize that Magic can be played defensively against Pokemon. Pokemon is a fad, one that's already starting to die down; we don't have to win, we just have to make sure that they don't. This is accomplished in two ways.

1) Recruit Pokemon players over to Magic.
Fact is, most Pokemon players I've talked to only KINDA like the game...they're mostly collectors. As such, they're probably itching for a game they can actually PLAY, that's FUN. Introduce them to Magic. Show them the basics. Demonstrate some cards, and how they interact. Be patient; you were a newbie once, too. Coax them over to your side.

2) Don't be tempted by the lure of Pokemon money.
Few Magic players are lost to Pokemon (it's like driving a Pinto after you've had a Ferrari), but those that do so are generally in it for the cash. Don't be tempted!
Entering Pokemon for money = Buying Pokemon stuff = Supporting Pokemon.

Remember this next time you see kids with Pokemon cards.

A

Apollo

I'm with Istanbul on this, for the record.

Linsivvi, I think Gryphonclaw (who hasn't said a whole lot lately) was just making a general statement that most Magic players are older than Pokemon players. He wasn't saying all players are 15-50, just that most are (which from what I've seen is true).

Apollo

M

Multani

Tag Guard

Alright, forget the close thread thing.
My school priciple outlawed Magic at school just because a bunch of Pokemon crybabies bought Pokemon to school, disrupted classes, and lost binderfulls of cards and started whining.
As a result the fucking principle banned all cards from school!!!!!
Man fuck those Pokemon players!!
Now at the end of the year enforcement has been lax and Magic has resurfaced.
But next year, it'll go back to an underground group of people playing it illegaly....