Magic Varient, Army Magic

G

Gryphonclaw

Ok, I just realized that this probably should have been submitted as an article.

For those of you who haven't heard of this, it's almost an ideal varient of magic for players like us. The name isn't all that great, but the playing is great, there's a web page on it somewhere, and the rules are in a scrye. They may sound a little hokey, but they work, and of course can be tweaked. But this varient is great for group game play.

So here are the rules as far as I can remember:
The deck must have at least 3 colors and 150 cards.
Each player starts with three basic land of their choice in play.
There is no maximum hand size.
Each player starts at 50 life.
The following rules only apply if you do not have a legendary creature in play:
A creature cannot attack if you do not control another creature with a higher power. This one is important to remember during game play.
Non-summon spells cannot be played unless you have a cleric, wizard or druid in play. I would addendum this rule to allow spellshapers to do the same.
And lastly the supreme commander.
Before playing each player names a legendary creature in their deck. As long as this creature is in play under their control all of their creatures, including the commander, get +2/+2. If a supreme commander leaves play its owner loses 10 life.
It's kind of implied that old, gold legends rule this format. You will almost definitely be able to play them and their abilities can be great. Plus it's a chance to play with elder dragon legends and have it worthwile, wich is always good.
That's about it, if anyone has any additional rules info or the web site please post them.

Some recommended deck themes/supreme commanders;
Rebels, this ones obvious, combined with Mercenarys or the new searcher cards. Cho-Manno makes a good commander.
Green stompy, this may not sound right, but the mana acceleration of 3 starting lands is great, and you can always use worldy tutor or natural order to fetch a legend, to say nothing of your commander. :eek: And there are plenty of druids and clerics.
Blue/white/green control, heavy on the wizards and clerics, some druids for fun, and lots of fun spells, control magic rules this format. ;)
I didn't make it up, but I wish I had. :D

[Edited by Gryphonclaw (03-20-2000 at 06:50 PM).]

[Edited by Gryphonclaw (03-20-2000 at 06:50 PM).]

U

Ura

Sounds like a pretty cool format. If you can find the website or scrye it was from, or if anyone else can I'll definatly try it out and maybe even try a tourny for it. :)

[Edited by Ura (03-20-2000 at 11:39 PM).]

C

Captain Caveman

ARMY MAGIC; a multi-player variant, by
Jamie C. Wakefield

SCRYE #6.1 April 1999 (page 34-35)

Its an interesting format and a lot of fun
to play. I had my deck built around Lord of
Tresserhorn, Sol Kanar and Recurring Night
mare.

D

Dune Echo

Hell, if Jamie really made that up, I'll eat my shorts. It was originally called Elder Dragon Wars and was made for hopefully 5 players (one for each Elder Dragon) and appeared somewhere in Duelist #4 through 6 I think. Entirely identical concept though. Even the three lands in play.

However, I very much like this idea. I just wish there were some people to play with.