Magic School . . . How to Play vs. Counters

Discussion in 'General CPA Stuff' started by Crackdown, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Mikeymike Captain Hiatus

2. Limited Yes, but we won't care

Here's a deck I made a while ago:

Red 18
    3x Spark Spray
    3x Urza's Rage
    4x Planar Chaos
    1x Scrap
    1x Lay Waste
    2x Solar Blast
    2x Slice and Dice
    2x Chartooth Cougar
    Green 15
    4x Blurred Mongoose
    4x Root Sliver
    2x Barkhide Mauler
    4x Scragnoth
    1x Vexing Beetle
    1x Krosan Tusker
    Lands 26
    1x Shivan Oasis
    2x Contested Cliffs
    4x Mishra's Factory
    2x Ghitu Encampment
    4x Treetop Village
    7x Mountain
    6x Forest

Fun on it's own, but insane against a counterhappy deck :D
  3. Oversoul The Tentacled One

This is interesting. I noticed that Spidey made this a featured thread...

Would it still be cool if I wrote an article on this?
  4. TheCasualOblivion 10 year Veteran Newbie

Its a tough thing to define, I'm sure an article on it would be great.

Aside from the basic strategies of using discard, or throwing a weenie rush at it, what do you do to deal vs. Counters? What do you do without resorting to sideboarding? A lot of us casual players never bother with them.

I'm not sure I could write an article on it. I've always gone with my gut against counters. Kinda like playing poker. Its served me well, but I couldn't tell anyone else how I do it if I wanted to.
  5. Limited Yes, but we won't care

An article just about Facing Counters, or more of a Global Guide To Casual Decks: How To Prepare Without Sideboarding
    Article 1: Preparing for Counterspells
    Article 2: Preparing for Creature rush
    Article 3: Dealing with Combo's

Would it be fun to make it a team effort?
  6. Ferret CPA Founder, Slacker

The one thing I used to enjoy was anticipating the counters. If I have the mana to play two different spells and I see two untapped Islands in front of me, I try to throw out the lesser of the two spells to draw the counter and then play the spell I REALLY wanted to cast.

-Ferret

"D'oh!"
  7. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Heh. And if he didn't take the "bait"? :)

Oversoul: Go for it. :)
  8. Killer Joe Active Member

Write one about how to "HOSE" creature decks in large Multiplayer games with countermagic and other 'control' spells.

:D :) :rolleyes: :( :mad:
  9. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Even better! This is kinda like the "rap wars" of the East Coast vs West Coast where they'd dis each other in their raps!

:D
  10. Killer Joe Active Member

<Rap to a slow-grind beat of about 80 beats per min>

Your creature dek stinks
    so deel wit dat
    an' my conuter-riffic dek
    will make yours SPLAT!
    So iffin you feel you wanna duel
    jes go ahead and deal
    YOU Critter-lovin' FOOL!

The worst part would be to actually see and hear me say this :D
  11. Mikeymike Captain Hiatus

Mating Magic with Hip-Hop is like trying to mate a supermodel with a lawn-mower. :D
  12. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

KJ: I think you should do a video and give to me to upload here :p
  13. mythosx Legendary Creature-Human

how to wreck a counterspell deck? I think I could get into a deep analysis on the different types of things that could be played.

But here is a simple solution that seemed to wreck havoc against me when I used to play counters, a silver bullet if you will.

Play spells that can't be countered. Sounds simple...I know, probably going to get some eye rolling for this.

Scragnoths go a long way in ripping apart counter decks. Can't be countered can't be targeted by blue, it's awesome. Root sliver's, kovarch's torch. Storm spells and Mirari both although do not make spells uncounterable, they do make it difficult to counter everything.
  14. Killer Joe Active Member

No, Spidey, not the 80's techno-Pop group :rolleyes:

But one would have know before hand if they're playing against a counter magic deck. The deck(s) I'll be writting about are counter magic decks that can deal with lots of different kinds of deck archetypes, not geared/tuned towards just one. An-anti counter magic wouldn't be able to pull it off that well.

Also, I'm speaking from a multiplayer standpoint both large AND small group size.
  15. Crackdown New Member

I can easily make a Bobtown deck that makes life difficult for a Blue Counter Deck, but that's a fairly limited situation and one where I know ahead of time precisely what I'm facing.

More often, I have a Type 2 or Extended deck and run into countermagic. How should it be played and what needs to be done? Sure, Scepter-Chant will annihilate me, but I'll just say thanks and go play with a real person who has a personality and wants to play Magic with someone. :p

All Scepter-Chant players should play on line.

[g, d & r]
  16. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Okay, I've decided that I definitely want to write this article, although I will not be starting it today (which means its proximity on the frontpage to this featured thread won't be so tacky, if you think it would be tacky to have them close together). It SHOULD be submitted sometime this weekend though... *hands whip to Notepad* :eek:

On collaborating to make this some sort of larger project...

I had not planned on that, but it sounds like a great idea. The context of this article is going to be fighting counters in casual games (one-on-one) from the angle of different archetypes (not a ton of them, but a couple broad categories). If anyone wants to start some sort of series of articles based on "how to beat ____" or whatever, I'd be interested to hear about it...
  17. Limited Yes, but we won't care

Perhaps we can just make a list of "stuff to beat" (discard, counters, weenie...) and make a sort of checklist for the inexperienced deckbuilder.
    When someone builds a deck, and has some open slots, he can use the checklists provided by the Guide To Casual Decks to see what an unfavorable match-up would be. Then he can fill those last slots with cards to better prepare his deck for any match.

So..
    Preparing for counters
    Preparing for discard
    Preparing for a creature rush
    Preparing for a combo deck
    Any other suggestions?
  18. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Okay, I submitted the article. I think it is my best yet (which doesn't make it particularly amazing). Anyway, I hope that I did the italicizing correctly for the article (I don't think I've ever submitted one that had italics before, which might have been because I was lazy). But if I didn't, my editor (Spidey) can probably fix it...
  19. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Wow, if I read the clock on Everything2 correctly, a guy posted a writeup about the card, Counterspell a couple of hours before I finished my article. What an odd coincidence...

Anyway, the Counterspell node can be found here.
  20. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Hey, that's kinda what I said on 2/23:
    :)