Magic Online Testers! Report here please!

I

Istanbul

BigBlue...it has nothing to do with the game's server. It still takes too long to download too much. I could start the download right now and not be done till sunrise.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That sucks, Isty. Are you sure that's the best number of your ISP to call? Some have numbers expressly set up for 56K modems (mine has around 4 in my area and 2 are for 56K; I usually connect at 53K).

C

Chaos Turtle

Do you have both a magic1.exe and a magic.exe?

Try this. Rename your magic.exe (if you have one) to something else, like "xmagic.exe" then make a copy of your magic1.exe and rename it to magic.exe. Then run modo.exe. This got me around the no-cd problem. (Don't delete the update file this time, unless it doesn't work, in which case try it again after deleting it.)

If that does not work, run magic1.exe directly from the Magic Online folder and see if that works.

You should know within a few minutes whether your DL is going through the whole process, so don't wait for hours if it seems to be taking just as long as before.

There have been a few updates since you DLed the updater, so you'll certainly have to DL a new full magic.exe (we are up to V0.845) so keep that in mind as well.

Contact yor ISP and ask if there's any way to avoid the auto-disconnect. There might be an option.

Good luck.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Concerning the auto-disconnect; I know I have an option that says "disconnect after 20 minutes of inactivity". Do you know if you have something similiar or are you doing other stuff on the web while you d/l so this is moot?

I'm also not sure this will work as I haven't tried it, but from the Home of the Underdogs FAQ:

The game's INSTALL program asks me to insert disks. What do I do?

You can do one of the following:

Copy the CONTENTS of the several folders or zip files (DISK1, DISK2, etc) to (corresponding) disks before installing; or
Use the "subst" command. After copying all contents of the disk-folders within one folder on your hard drive, access the MS-DOS prompt and type:
subst a: c:\[path of contents]

This will trick your system into "believing", that the folder with your game contents is actually drive A:. Then run the install program and install normally (when prompted to insert disks, simply press return). After you are done, type:
subst a: /d

at the DOS prompt to "Unsubst" and return A: to your floppy drive.

I

Istanbul

Spidey - I make sure to do other stuff. And the subst trick doesn't work because it won't subst a network drive.

CT - No, I only have magic1.exe. No magic.exe. Running magic1.exe from the Magic Online folder prompts for the CD.

B

BigBlue

There is no need for a CD, that must be a bug.

Try running Modo.exe, this is the launch program which goes to their site and gets (or verifies you have current) 3 files to start with, tos.txt(terms of service), master.lst (list of all their program files), and updated.lst (list of files recently updated, which saves time over master.lst). Then it will verify all the files on your PC to make sure they are the correct versions. If that doesn't work, you'll have to run setup.exe.

I

Istanbul

Saieth modo.exe:

"You must have the Magic Starter CD in the drive you installed it from."

C

Chaos Turtle

Did you install the STarter CD that came out a while back? Get rid of it.

I meant (in my above instructions) that even if you don't have a magic.exe file, you should still make a copy of your magic1.exe and rename it to magic.exe. Delete the updated.lst file, then run the modo.exe. This is how I got mine to work. Modo.exe launches the updater that will download the new version of magic.exe.

You might have to start over, if your modo.exe says anything at all about the Starter CD. Perhaps those are conflicting.

M

Mundungu

I cant start the thing !!

I have DL all the progra,s but no sign of a magic.exe

If I run setup iy check if all files are there and then stops.*What do I do now ??

C

Chaos Turtle

Setup should have out an icon on your desktop for "magic online." It runs "modo.exe" which starts the updater. If the icon is not there, find "modo.exe' in the "wizards of the coast\magic online" directory and run it from there.

If it still doesn't do anything,make a copy of "magic1.exe" and rename it "magic.exe"

If you downloaded the updater (didn't use a CD) then you also need to make sure to move the files you unzipped into the "magic online" folder.

M

Mundungu

Ok .... I have modo.exe and modo1.exe but no magic.exe or magic1.exe

I have installed through download, not through CD.

I have a link (Icon) on my desktop but it opens a DOS windows that it closes right away, doing nothing at all :(

Turtle : please help me further, thanks

T

terzarima

What happened to all the CPA'ers out there? Apparently now, I'm the captain of the CPA guild thing!! What happened?

G

Gerode

I'm still waiting for WotC to allow me to create an account. The "New Acount" website doesn't work.

L

lilpinhead

hey guys! its been a while since i posted and such but here i am!!!!!!! hehe.....just so everyone knows.... im a new beta tester for magic online! my name on the game is dark son!